Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fitness trainer by trade and would like to run some workouts that incorporate games. They're all-inclusive and scalable for all fitness levels. Workouts would take about an hour including warmup. Games would be on the simpler side (light euros, dice, dexterity), so anyone unfamiliar with the rules can pick it up quickly.

Who's up for getting sweaty during the con? (This is an unofficial event, for the record.)

Poll
1. Would you be interested in game-related workouts during BGG.CON?
Everyday!
Maybe a day or two out of the week.
Hell no! I'm on vacation!
2. What times do you prefer to workout?
Early morning (5-8am)
Reasonable morning (8am-noon)
Early afternoon (noon-3pm)
Late afternoon (3pm-6pm)
Evening (6pm-9pm)
Late night (9pm-midnight)
Who needs sleep? (midnight-5am)
      50 answers
Poll created by erak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be too pooped from exhibiting to be a part of this. But it seems right up your alley. I hope you get a ton of sign-ups!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious how this would work?

For the record, I'm missing BGG.Con this year, but I'm still curious how a workout of this nature would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:

For the record, I'm missing BGG.Con this year, but I'm still curious how a workout of this nature would work.

Here's a simple one for Molkky:

Each round a card with a movement on it (push up, squat, sit up, burpee) is drawn. When a player scores points, the other players do that many reps of that movement. If the player misses the throw or exceeds 50 points (in Molkky, you need exactly 50 to win), that player does 10 reps instead. When someone wins, everyone else does a number of reps equal to 50 minus their score.

Other workouts will involve exercising during other players' turns. You win by either winning the game, or reaching a certain number of reps. (Kind of like chess boxing, only I'm sure BGG.CON has a no-punching policy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
[q="Dolus"]only I'm sure BGG.CON has a no-punching policy.

Unless you book one of those basement rooms downtown. >_>

Good thing the points workout won't include games like Castles of Burgundy.

Sounds like a neat idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lina B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of having workouts. I get stiff sitting for so long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a pretty cool idea, but I am not staying at the con hotel and I'd rather not smell for the rest of the day.

Note: Please, nobody offer me your hotel room to shower. This is the only excuse I could come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested for sure, but I work the library every morning from 8 - 9 (on average), and I need to get breakfast--so early. I usually start out good at BGG.Con, but sleep deprivation gets the best of me, and workouts are the first to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Millman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm totally interested. The issue I have is I am recovering from knee surgery (end of June) and not sure what I will be able to do at that time. Secondly, I'm not staying at the Hyatt. Is that a problem?

P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ExWallStreetGuy wrote:
I'm totally interested. The issue I have is I am recovering from knee surgery (end of June) and not sure what I will be able to do at that time. Secondly, I'm not staying at the Hyatt. Is that a problem?

P

We can sub out any movements that might be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Goldsmith
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as an active Crossfitter, would love to try this! I'm subscribing to the thread and would love to stay in the loop!

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
Dolus wrote:

Here's a simple one for Molkky:

Each round a card with a movement on it (push up, squat, sit up, burpee) is drawn. When a player scores points, the other players do that many reps of that movement. If the player misses the throw or exceeds 50 points (in Molkky, you need exactly 50 to win), that player does 10 reps instead. When someone wins, everyone else does a number of reps equal to 50 minus their score.

Other workouts will involve exercising during other players' turns. You win by either winning the game, or reaching a certain number of reps. (Kind of like chess boxing, only I'm sure BGG.CON has a no-punching policy.)

I need to look into chess boxing. Haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lina B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any details on this? Is it a go? When? Where? RSVPs needed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lina688 wrote:
Any details on this? Is it a go? When? Where? RSVPs needed?

I'm putting together the final workouts this week. My plan is to have them on Thursday, Friday and Saturday mornings. More details to come (I'll post to this thread).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lina B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so happy about this. I'm doing a challenge with my trainer, and I'm going to miss a whole week's worth of work out points. He told me he'd count these if I send him pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New thread with schedule and locations. Due to some Team Geek shifts, I can only schedule for Thursday and Friday morning.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24177658#24177658

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.