Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I am getting an understanding how the various roles play, I am curious how each character had changed from initial stages to what we have published today. For example, the Knight board originally didn't even have a Grit track or the Perception/Encounter ability. The Goblin board looks quite a bit different. The Dragon board is fairly consistent but was arranged all differently. etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep starting this thing and I get lost in the details. I end up stopping and going to work on something that will extend the longevity of Vast instead.

The Knight went through some iterations.
The Goblins went through many iterations. The Goblins were frustrating to work on frankly.
The Dragon went through more than some iterations but less than many. Its been stable for awhile.
The Cave has been stable for awhile now. I wanted the Omens to be more reactive but here we are.
The Thief has gone through 3.

If I felt like material could work, but would take too much time to test I just removed it into a shelved design document for later review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like we're after some secret histories

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But wouldn't you rather have a scenario where an Elf Knight chases a Unicorn around the Cave?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hill
United Kingdom
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
happy to keep them secret for a little longer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:
I keep starting this thing and I get lost in the details. I end up stopping and going to work on something that will extend the longevity of Vast instead.

Respond only if you have the time, this is simply to placate my curiosity.

GreenM wrote:

What did a turn look like for the Knight in the first draft? Since there was no Grit track or Perception attribute, I am a bit curious how that played out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
randyd42 wrote:
GreenM wrote:

What did a turn look like for the Knight in the first draft? Since there was no Grit track or Perception attribute, I am a bit curious how that played out.
It wasn't the original version, but prior to the addition of the Grit track, the Knight earned a cube automatically any time she completed a sidequest.
It worked okay, but was very swingy and the initial draw was a big factor on how well she'd do. With two or three "easy" quests early on, she'd get really strong really quickly, but with a hand full of difficult quests she could sometimes get stuck with just two or three cubes for much of the game, which made hunting the dragon difficult and made it really easy for the Goblins. Going to the Grit system with varying values for the quests evened out that luck-of-the-draw factor, and provided ways for her to advance even if the sidequests weren't immediately helpful or even possible.

Prior to the addition of the Thief, Perception was represented on her board as the Torch equipment, which was functionally identical (3 spaces) to what is now the Perception stat. The artwork that had been used for Torch now appears on the back page of the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the simplicity of the idea of earning hero cubes for completing side quests. It feels very thematic. I can see why you started there. However, I see what you mean about the swinginess and think you had a good idea with the implementation of a Grit track to counter that swingy factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.