6 Posts

Epic Card Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: My best Epic deck in the year I've played rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alice White
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been playing since release and this is the most consistently winning Epic deck I've made. No surprise it's quite a bit headier than most to play:
http://www.v-mundi.com/2016/epic-zombie-otk/

As a postscript: I was eventually able to make a deck that beat this one but it required more skill to pilot than this. For those curious, it used human token OTK, anti-discard, and health gain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This looks like so much fun! Thanks for posting it.

Aren't Spike Trap & Hands from Below also non-respondable OTK? Attacker has initiative to play the first card after declaring attackers. So you can declare any valid champions as attackers then immediately Spike Trap them without giving a window to respond. The only downside is that you can only use non-deploying (or blitzing, but your zombies are unlikely to be blitzing if you've just used your gold to drop a Drinker) zombies.

Quote:
4.4 Battle Phase may be declared during the Main Phase of a player’s turn if that player has Initiative and one or more Champions that can attack.

4.4.1 Players may only attack on their own turn. When a player declares an attack, the player chooses one or more ready (prepared, not deploying) champions he or she controls, expends them, and chooses an opponent to attack.

4.4.2 Any triggers resulting from the attack resolve.

4.4.3 The attacking player may play an event, use an ability, or pass initiative. The player may play events and/or use abilities as many times as they wish. If they have nothing to play, they must pass initiative.

4.4.4 The defending player may play an event, use an ability, or pass initiative. The player may play events and/or use abilities as many times as they wish. If they have nothing to play, they must pass initiative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drinker of Blood combo is definitely a fun archetype.

We've had success using Juggernaut, so you might consider that in place of Crystal Golem, which you don't seem totally in love with. It can function as some surprise damage and card draw, plus it lives through your sweepers.

I'd also really try to find a way to work Amnesia in here. It's a very strong card in almost every deck, but especially in one where you rely on cards like Zombie Apocalypse.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
happyjosiah wrote:

We've had success using Juggernaut, so you might consider that in place of Crystal Golem, which you don't seem totally in love with. It can function as some surprise damage and card draw, plus it lives through your sweepers.

I'd also really try to find a way to work Amnesia in here. It's a very strong card in almost every deck, but especially in one where you rely on cards like Zombie Apocalypse.

Good luck!

I think Zombie Apocalypse is primarily a wipe with some nice zombie side-effects, Amnesia is a gorgeous card but you have to include a heap more 1-cost sage cards (cutting the combo pieces) or drop Spike Trap (a combo piece) to afford it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice White
msg tools
mbmbmb
greylag wrote:
This looks like so much fun! Thanks for posting it.

Aren't Spike Trap & Hands from Below also non-respondable OTK? Attacker has initiative to play the first card after declaring attackers. So you can declare any valid champions as attackers then immediately Spike Trap them without giving a window to respond. The only downside is that you can only use non-deploying (or blitzing, but your zombies are unlikely to be blitzing if you've just used your gold to drop a Drinker) zombies.

Quote:
4.4 Battle Phase may be declared during the Main Phase of a player’s turn if that player has Initiative and one or more Champions that can attack.

4.4.1 Players may only attack on their own turn. When a player declares an attack, the player chooses one or more ready (prepared, not deploying) champions he or she controls, expends them, and chooses an opponent to attack.

4.4.2 Any triggers resulting from the attack resolve.

4.4.3 The attacking player may play an event, use an ability, or pass initiative. The player may play events and/or use abilities as many times as they wish. If they have nothing to play, they must pass initiative.

4.4.4 The defending player may play an event, use an ability, or pass initiative. The player may play events and/or use abilities as many times as they wish. If they have nothing to play, they must pass initiative.

Oh goddess...I didn't even consider that. WOW. Those really are non-respondable since the cards resolve and the life total goes to 0 before the next step is reached. Holy...I'll have to update that.

I've already updated to replace Lying in Wait with Transform after I made some counters to this deck that use unbreakables. One of the best counters was a wild-based OTK using stuff like Mighty Blow and Brave Squire. I'll be posting that up soon.

happyjosiah wrote:

Good luck!

Love Juggernaut. It was my primary choice over Crystal Golem at first. I just needed more cards to play on my opponent's turn, so ultimately it was left out.

Reminder to mulligan FIVE cards if you get no Drinker or Flash Fire. 4 if you get Flash Fire. This is important because you get a 42% chance at an opening Drinker with that pattern. And you'll see one in the next 9 cards on average, which is really only a few draws!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice White
msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't know how many people are aware but this deck ultimately ended up changing a few cards such as going for Arcane Research over Spike Trap to speed up the combo tremendously (so re-check if this interested you). Since posting this, I had made it my mission to find decks that can counter it without being filtered in general and have made two such decks thus far. Eventually, I'll be posting them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.