Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Civil War Pro-Regulation Side (Updated 12/04/2016) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Civil War gave us the Secret Avengers fighting the Authoritarian Iron Man and Shield. What about the other side? I've been working in this set since a bit after Civil War came out. I'm taking a little bit of creative liberties here, and the heroes are based upon the Mighty Avengers, which actually came together after the Civil War. To keep in line with how the Secret Avengers all use the Avengers team icon, I've done the same.

Instead of using the divided mechanic, I've decided to come up with my own. Introducing the Initiative deck! This operates much like Soul Gems from Ascension. The Initiative deck represents some of the heroes that were signed up during the 50 state initiative. It is a 30 card deck made up of unique heroes that range from a small bonus, to pretty powerful effects. This deck is only used with the Mighty Avengers, who's super powers trigger the use of the deck. You play the top card of the Initiative deck when told to by a card. This Initiative card never enters your hand and does not count as drawing a card. It does count as playing a card, and will help trigger later card effects. At the end of your turn all Initiative cards that were played will be returned to a discard pile for the initiative. When the Initiative deck runs out, shuffle the discard pile and start again. These cards cannot be KO'd from play. They are all counted as 0 cost heroes. None have team affiliations because they are either new recruits to the 50 state initiative or or trainers. I've also used the keyword The Initiative. This key word simply is shorthand for "play the top card of the initiative deck." Lastly, the Initiative deck is designed to provide the average utility equivalent of +2 attack, so the cards are designed to cost accordingly. Of course, you pull from the Initiative deck may result in much more utility, or that of a little less. None of the cards are designed to hamper you though.

Just so you know, I'm really good at making spelling errors and typos, and really bad at catching those, so if you see any just let me know and I will update the card when I can. Please provide any other feedback as well. I know some of the art is a bit uneven, particularly in the Initiative deck. It's a bit tough to find all of these high resolution images.

Right now I have the Mighty Avengers and the Initiative deck done. I plan on adding a Mr. Fantastic and Maria Hill. I also have a Captain America mastermind that I'm working on with a couple of villain groups. Any ideas for other masterminds wouldn't hurt.

Invincible Iron Man

Ms. Marvel

Sentry

Wasp

Wonder Man

Ares

Agent Romanova (Black Widow)

Reed Richards

Commander Maria Hill

The Initiative Deck in no particular order

Captain America Mastermind - The idea behind this Captain America is that he is recruiting Heroes to join his Anti-Reg Force. He gets more powerful based upon the Hero classes in the Anti-Reg Force reflecting the mechanic of many of his Hero cards.

Secret Avengers - The Secret Avengers were made to give bonuses based upon the effects of some of their Hero versions. Cloak and Dagger are designed to get the stronger Villains closer to end of the city increasing the danger of those cards escaping. The Villain Group includes two copies of Tigra and Cloak and Dagger.

Hawkeye (Kate Bishop) - I've went with Hawkeye as the leader of the Young Avengers. She and Patriot have both done leadership roles for the team, and thought that having Kate would add a bit of variety. Her mechanism is to acquire New Recruits for the Young Avengers.

Young Avengers - Again I wanted to pattern them after their Heroic versions. There's two of each except for Stature and Hulking, only one of each of those.

Again, any feedback is appreciated. I'm working on the Veranke Master Mind now, and also working on adding in the Thunderbolts. Thunderbolts are not going to the Initiative deck, instead they will have their own key work. Here's a preview:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Custom Civil War Pro-Regulation Side
It looks tremendous! The Initiative deck fascinates me, and like probably everyone else here, I thought it a missed opportunity that we didn't get pro-registration Heroes or anti-registration villains. I'm interested enough in this project to put it on my quickbar.

I know very little about a great many of your heroes and nothing about this story beyond what reading the Civil War sets' cards and rule sheet tell you, but one thing about Ares confounds me. I assume the god of war is a bad guy masher of tremendous power, but his card set doesn't seem to reflect that. Am I missing some critical way his cards interact, did you decide to focus more on some other aspect of him, or what happened? I'd assume a god of war would be as mighty as Marvel's other beat sticks like Drax or Hulk. So what is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tsallak wrote:
It looks tremendous! The Initiative deck fascinates me, and like probably everyone else here, I thought it a missed opportunity that we didn't get pro-registration Heroes or anti-registration villains. I'm interested enough in this project to put it on my quickbar.

I know very little about a great many of your heroes and nothing about this story beyond what reading the Civil War sets' cards and rule sheet tell you, but one thing about Ares confounds me. I assume the god of war is a bad guy masher of tremendous power, but his card set doesn't seem to reflect that. Am I missing some critical way his cards interact, did you decide to focus more on some other aspect of him, or what happened? I'd assume a god of war would be as mighty as Marvel's other beat sticks like Drax or Hulk. So what is it?

Oh snap! You're right. I was thinking about swapping his and Wonder Man's cards. Urg, I forgot. I came up with the idea of the powers and kind of forced it on him.

I agree that the powers as it may be not appropriate for his skill sets. What do you think about those powers on Wonder Man? He's charismatic and powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
The only things I know about Wonder Man are A) He's a pacifist now and B) he's invulnerable. But looking at his cards, I think they'd be decent for a god of war.

Assuming that Ares is like he is in the tiny amount of Greek/Roman myth he shows up in and the two whole episodes of Hercules that I saw, I assume he's powerful but also a major jerk. That would suggest a card set like Base Set's Hulk (lots of Attack but basically nothing else). So I'd boost the Attack power of the Wonder Man set and reduce or eliminate the other stuff, but if you've done more than looked at a picture of Ares from Marvel comics, you know more about him than I do, and it is your set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your assumptions are correct from what I've seen about him. He's brash, and likes to hit things. He's an anti-hero. He's been a villain, been a hero, been a Dark Avenger. He mostly further's his own interests from what I understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to the Marvel Master Database.

Added each hero and also as an expansion to showcase the Initiative Deck

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I remembered something odd about the folklore about Ares, if anyone cares. I don't think he has one line in the surviving Greek or Roman myth. He is in one of the stories a classic writer made about them, in the same way that Keats (of Grecian Urn fame) made a story about Lamia. I think it was one of the 19th century writers, but I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ducko Kaiju
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really like the idea of the Initiative Deck; having more heroes coming into the game thematically feels and sounds awesome! Can't wait for this set to be completed. I haven't printed any customs yet - but this set and the Spider-verse set are on my top list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Trudgen
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Seize the game!
badge
Truly Scrumtrulescent!
mbmbmbmbmb
ducko wrote:
I haven't printed any customs yet - but this set and the Spider-verse set are on my top list!

This is a great set, so to be judged accordingly is wonderful! Thanks for the love!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Later today I'm going to post the updated cards for Ares and Wonder Man. Basically a swap of their cards to better reflect their powers. I'll also be having Reed Richards added, and want to get Maria Hill done. Then onto the Masterminds and villains!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ducko wrote:
I really like the idea of the Initiative Deck; having more heroes coming into the game thematically feels and sounds awesome! Can't wait for this set to be completed. I haven't printed any customs yet - but this set and the Spider-verse set are on my top list!

Thanks for the praise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
Later today I'm going to post the updated cards for Ares and Wonder Man. Basically a swap of their cards to better reflect their powers. I'll also be having Reed Richards added, and want to get Maria Hill done. Then onto the Masterminds and villains!

Time went *poof* yesterday. Should have this update done today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ares and Wonder Man updated and Reed Richards added. Maria Hill and Mastermind Captain America to be added shortly. Villain group for Stars and Stripes? You guessed it, the Secret Avengers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Now with more Maria Hill, ahem... that's COMMANDER Maria Hill to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Custom Civil War Pro-Regulation Side (Updated 10/05/2016)
Urk! I was tinkering after some play testing and forgot to switch up Elongated Assault on Reed Richards. Instead of the get fight effect it's supposed to be:

"Reveal the top 3 cards of the initiative deck. You put them back on the top and/or bottom in any order."

Updating tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ducko Kaiju
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Authority and Efficiecy Commander Maria Hill has a slight misprint with the "n" in turn being spaced;

Gah, thanks for putting the time into this;

Will there be more Initiative? or is it set at 30?

Can't wait to have a Captain America mastermind for this set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing that out! I should have it corrected later today.

As for the Initiative deck, I was planning on keeping it 30. It was a nice even number to have 1/3 each of mild, moderate and strong effects. I also though 30 was enough to provide a good amount of variety and keep the cards that come out well randomized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ducko Kaiju
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Custom Civil War Pro-Regulation Side (Updated 10/06/2016)
30 is cool.

Black Widow... she has the same name and team affiliation as the base; do you think this will cause confusion? Iron Man and Mr. Fantastic have different names.

Where or what do you use to print custom cards?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good point on the Black Widow, I'll come up with a variant name for her, maybe just go with her real name or something. I play test these cards by printing them out at home and popping them in sleeves. Once I finish this set I will print them out for real. There are threads about printing custom cards at home that I will go through when I'm ready, I would point you to those for more information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ducko Kaiju
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks!

Wouldn't be a complete set unless the Mastermind utilizes the Initiative somehow... or a scheme?

I was thinking: Spider-Woman (Veranke) as a Mastermind;

One way to utilize the Initiative deck could be: Master Strike (or Scheme twist): Draw a card from the Initiative deck and place that card on the most left open city space. If the card has a strike, villains in the space gain that additional strike. If the card has a recruit, heroes in the headquarter below cost that additional recruit. If the card has neither; it is shuffled into the villains deck and becomes a Master Strike.

That might be too wordy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ducko wrote:
Thanks!

Wouldn't be a complete set unless the Mastermind utilizes the Initiative somehow... or a scheme?

I was thinking: Spider-Woman (Veranke) as a Mastermind;

One way to utilize the Initiative deck could be: Master Strike (or Scheme twist): Draw a card from the Initiative deck and place that card on the most left open city space. If the card has a strike, villains in the space gain that additional strike. If the card has a recruit, heroes in the headquarter below cost that additional recruit. If the card has neither; it is shuffled into the villains deck and becomes a Master Strike.

That might be too wordy.

It is a little wordy, but I like it. I think that's a good idea that would utilize the different aspects of the Initiative deck well, and will definitely work on something like that.

I do have some henchmen villains where the reward will be to play a card of the Initiative deck, but I agree with you that there needs to be some more creative usage of Initiative deck with villains. I was thinking of a scheme that Villains would capture a card off of the Initiative deck, and get additional fight, you reward for defeating them is to gain it use the captured card. I'm also working on a villain group that would reveal the cards for certain bonuses, which I'm now thinking would be a bunch of Skrull imposters for Veranke!

I'm working on Captain America right now. After designing a Mastermind that I liked, and play testing him, I realized that his effect was almost just like Ragnaork's. I was thinking that he would gain strength based upon the classes of heroes in the HQ because it was like his card effects, and then duh, UD already did that.

Now I'm working on basing it more on the story line. I was thinking Captain America, through his Masterstrike, would recruit Heroes from the HQ. This could represent them switching sides to the Secret Avengers, which happened to a couple of heroes in the story line. He would then get bonus to his strength based off of the heroes that joined his side. Still working out the kinks, but I think it's a pretty nifty idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ducko Kaiju
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like where you are going.

Maybe; playing on the switching side idea - you can do Masterstrike: Pick a hero from the HQ. Players attacking with that hero loses -1 attack;

I feel like the players losing power feels more thematic than Captain America gaining power.

Yeah, for Veranke; I was thinking some of the Initiatives are imposters; heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I wouldn't mind if Mastermind Captain America works like Ragnarok does, as I suspect that Ragnarok was originally going to be Captain America the Mastermind. We've all seen that Civil War was marketed as though we were going to let us play as and against both sides. This would feel silly at times (when you're playing with Pro-Registration Iron Man against Authoritarian Iron Man), but we already can have Thanos in a Scheme to Invade the Daily Bugle and Red Skull try to Crush Hydra, so I wouldn't mind.

That said, your idea sounds pretty feasible and true to the storyline, so go ahead. As a character who's been a pillar to Marvel comics for 75 years, he'd better be able to support multiple themes!

Update: I remembered to check out Reed Richards and Commander Hill. I really like Maria Hill and Reed seems to have potential too (I haven't checked out the Initiative Deck that thoroughly). And it's great that Reed is very different from his Fantastic Four Hero set. I did find a typo on one of his cards, however, that probably confused -4 of us--one says to "Put the back on top or on bottom of the Initiative deck". You missed the "m" in "them".

Maria's art is excellent, and I love her rare card's power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tsallak wrote:
I wouldn't mind if Mastermind Captain America works like Ragnarok does, as I suspect that Ragnarok was originally going to be Captain America the Mastermind. We've all seen that Civil War was marketed as though we were going to let us play as and against both sides. This would feel silly at times (when you're playing with Pro-Registration Iron Man against Authoritarian Iron Man), but we already can have Thanos in a Scheme to Invade the Daily Bugle and Red Skull try to Crush Hydra, so I wouldn't mind.

That said, your idea sounds pretty feasible and true to the storyline, so go ahead. As a character who's been a pillar to Marvel comics for 75 years, he'd better be able to support multiple themes!

Update: I remembered to check out Reed Richards and Commander Hill. I really like Maria Hill and Reed seems to have potential too (I haven't checked out the Initiative Deck that thoroughly). And it's great that Reed is very different from his Fantastic Four Hero set. I did find a typo on one of his cards, however, that probably confused -4 of us--one says to "Put the back on top or on bottom of the Initiative deck". You missed the "m" in "them".

Maria's art is excellent, and I love her rare card's power.

Thanks for the complements! Thanks for pointing out the typo. I hope to have that fixed this weekend along with updating Black Widow's name to differentiate her from the core set. I also hope to test my new Captain America prototype, though if I get my hands on the Deadpool set it may delay things

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Added Mr. Fantastic and Maria Hill to the Database.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.