Popular Tags: [View All]
Mo Caraher
Canada
Thunder Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
After many, many years between playings, and having recently secured a nice copy of Deluxe Ogre (with the cardboard and plastic stand-up counters) we sat down for what turned out to be two quick games.

In the first game I took the Paneuropean side, bunching up my command post and a few defending units near the craters in the corner of the rear area. I then spread out my remaining defenders across the width of the board in two stripes, one at each set up boundary. I had selected three howitzers, positioning two at the edge of the rear area about equidistant from each other and the board edges. The third was parked two hexes in front of the command post. This, as it turns out, was a crap set up.

Rich, playing the Ogre, took the quickest route to the CP, straight along the "top" edge of the board (next to the charts & damage display). I had set up without any consideration to where Rich would choose to advance and this left about one-third of my force out of position and having to scramble to where the action was. It was no contest; even having made some good rolls I simply could not bring enough firepower to bear on Rich's Ogre as it sped toward my CP and off the board, having lost only it's main gun and ten or so treads: a Decisive Combine victory.

We swapped sides and Rich chose to place his CP closer to the center of the rear area and had opted for only two howitzers, choosing extra GEVs instead. Where I entered was a bit of a coin toss, as the Paneuro set up was pretty much symmetrical, so my Ogre began scooting down the bottom of the board, taking out a heavy with a missile in each of the first two turns. As my Ogre progressed toward the Paneuro CP I was managing to do a fair amount of damage, but so were Rich's missile tanks and GEVs. Once in range his howitzers did a number on the Ogre (he had them clumped fairly close to the center so that each could reach both board edges with criss-cross fire), taking out the main battery and then blowing away tread after tread. In the end game Rich was left with two infantry units and a single heavy, GEV and missile tank...but no CP. The last of the Ogre's treads had been blown off on the last hexrow - it was that close. Once the treads were gone Rich simply pinged away my remaining AP weapons leaving one dead Ogre, but settling for a Marginal Combine victory. Hey, I'm improving!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.