Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amos Dillman
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least ones that don't cost $50. My assumption was that the expansions released thus far were just getting everyone up to speed (if they wished) with the old components and not the typical scenario model we should expect going forward.

I know this horse has been beaten pretty well, but it seemed like all the discussion was some months old by now. I didn't know if anyone has seen some info / news from FFG about their plans for future scenarios that I might have missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renjie Zhou
Belgium
Baal (Tremelo)
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just kick back and wait. If there is info be sure here is the first play is gonna be posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Bonte
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Replayed some of the 'first' 4 scenario's with the new expansions and found them different enough to warrant a pretty high replay value.
We now have 6 you can play.
Seems reasonable to begin with, after all, there are still more games to play no, new scenarios will come, relax
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Dillman
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
novio8 wrote:
Replayed some of the 'first' 4 scenario's with the new expansions and found them different enough to warrant a pretty high replay value.
Seems reasonable to begin with, after all, there are still more games to play no, new scenarios will come, relax

Personally, I will not pay $50 for one scenario. I think that's absurd. Not to mention the widespread complaints about the component quality of those expansions. My understanding was that the "expansions" were released purely for completionist collectors who wanted all the old, out of print stuff. I am still waiting to find out what the "real" model will be going forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they release a way for people to make their own stories...

Infinite content!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ward Bonte
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amodman wrote:
novio8 wrote:

Personally, I will not pay $50 for one scenario. I think that's absurd. Not to mention the widespread complaints about the component quality of those expansions. My understanding was that the "expansions" were released purely for completionist collectors who wanted all the old, out of print stuff. I am still waiting to find out what the "real" model will be going forward.

You're paying $50 for a bunch of nice tiles & a lot of plastic, not just for one scenario.
I'm happy with the quality. Sure it's not the best, but I'll live...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Dillman
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the bits in the world are mostly irrelevant, IMO, without scenario content. So until I know more about their scenario plans, I don't see any reason to buy a pile of bits that open up just one scenario.

I'm happy with the bits I have, but I'm a little annoyed that FFG is being so coy with their plans on how they will release / price future scenario content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.P. Kraul
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
amodman wrote:
novio8 wrote:

Agree. And you can bet future scenarios will require at least one of the expansions. I think MOM 2ed is a pretty fantastic game, but FFG's strategy doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense. If it were up to me, I would have spent resources on a couple more core scenarios and then waited until spring 2017 to release the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amodman wrote:
All the bits in the world are mostly irrelevant, IMO, without scenario content. So until I know more about their scenario plans, I don't see any reason to buy a pile of bits that open up just one scenario.

They don't just open up one scenario. Once you have the new monsters and tiles, they are also used to increase the variability of several of the beginning scenarios, which increases their replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Dillman
United States
Bement
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anoirtrou wrote:
amodman wrote:

They don't just open up one scenario. Once you have the new monsters and tiles, they are also used to increase the variability of several of the beginning scenarios, which increases their replayability.

Yes, I am aware of this fact. But we are specifically talking about scenario content. I find that variability mostly irrelevant without new scenario content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anoirtrou wrote:
amodman wrote:

For me, increased variability of the existing scenarios isn't enough to get me to pick up the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amodman wrote:
anoirtrou wrote:
amodman wrote:

Yes, I am aware of this fact. But we are specifically talking about scenario content. I find that variability mostly irrelevant without new scenario content.

You keep using the word irrelevant, I don't think that word means what you think it means because I don't consider those points irrelevant at all. In fact they are very relevant to the value of the monster boxes. If it's too rich for your blood then that's fine no one will argue but it's certainly not irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anoirtrou wrote:

"Several" being 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Several being all 4

Correct there is only new map layouts in 2 of them. But for someone who absolutely loves the diversity in enemies, because of the different flavor text when i fight them. Getting the new enemies makes a scenario like Escape from Innsmouth so much cooler in my opinion.

For me even though mechanically most monsters are nearly the same, they feel more different than in any other game ive recently played, because of the thematic text that comes with each attack and horror check. (And sometime even the attacks i make against the enemy "Love ghosts")

The reason i got the 2 figure and tile collections was mainly due to the fact that i can get more diversity in monsters and more investigators to choose from. Screw the different map layouts "to be frank"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Yeah in many ways I think the issues with these expansions stem from the fact that the monsters don't vary much. I totally get that having a Cultist replaced by a Maniac isn't that interesting. Different number of HP maybe.

I don't know if that's perception or not, it's possible each monster draws from a unique monster deck for attacks - but the nature of the app means that we don't see those decks so we don't actually know much variation there is. But I'll admit it doesn't feel like that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Mechanically most monsters are quite close on how they work. And checks might be the same. To use your example a Cultist or a Maniac might both make you make a 2 will horror check.

But the thing is that the flavor text is different and thats what this game is about. If you want mechanically different monsters get descent

In my opinion each monster group in Mansions 2nd ed. is worth much more than each monster group in Descent. (And i own all descent products to date)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
Yeah in many ways I think the issues with these expansions stem from the fact that the monsters don't vary much. I totally get that having a Cultist replaced by a Maniac isn't that interesting. Different number of HP maybe.

I don't know if that's perception or not, it's possible each monster draws from a unique monster deck for attacks - but the nature of the app means that we don't see those decks so we don't actually know much variation there is. But I'll admit it doesn't feel like that much.

Monsters definitely have different evade and attack "decks." The game was advertised as certain types of weapons being more effective on certain monsters as well. Meaning that that very powerful Bladed Weapon attack you've seen will only trigger on humanoid enemies... not eldritch or ghosties (if you recall, there were 3 decks in MoM 1E - Eldritch, Beast, Humanoid - I assume the same intent is here, you just can't see from which sub-set of attack cards they app is drawing).

I think it's genius. And I do see it in action. It's just not something you will notice because you can't see the actual "decks." It's the beauty and downfall of app-based gameplay. There is a LOT more complication involved in the combat than you might see at first glance.

Also: The more tiles and monsters you have, the more variable later scenarios will be as well. I don't foresee FFG requiring you to have previous expansions to play ANY given scenario, but if you have them, you will have a much more variable experience when you DO buy a new expansion with new scenarios.

It would probably be wise to see how fast or how many scenarios they are putting out (or if the gameplay still appeals to you once they have) before you decide to go all-in for these packs.

If you like the game enough to play it regularly though, you will likely end up getting a LOT of value out of the packs. I imagine a lot of the tiles we don't see much of will be used in variations of scenarios you will see down the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray PG
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
amodman wrote:
At least ones that don't cost $50. My assumption was that the expansions released thus far were just getting everyone up to speed (if they wished) with the old components and not the typical scenario model we should expect going forward.

I know this horse has been beaten pretty well, but it seemed like all the discussion was some months old by now. I didn't know if anyone has seen some info / news from FFG about their plans for future scenarios that I might have missed.

It's FF, rest assured you will mucho expansions / in app purchases on scenarios to spend soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
soakman wrote:
I don't foresee FFG requiring you to have previous expansions to play ANY given scenario, but if you have them, you will have a much more variable experience when you DO buy a new expansion with new scenarios.

While that's probably true, I can also see some scenarios being sub-optimal if you don't, as in "Place a cultist with ID 1. This cultist is the Maniac". Or "Place tile Hall End 3, this represents the conservatory". With the appropriate expansions being 'highly recommended'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
amodman wrote:

I'm happy with the bits I have, but I'm a little annoyed that FFG is being so coy with their plans on how they will release / price future scenario content.

Christ, the game hasn't even been out two months... give it time.

In typical FFG fashion, I'm sure they're developing plenty of content and will announce it when they're ready. It's very rare that FFG announces anything until everything is set in-stone and far enough along in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
soakman wrote:
I don't foresee FFG requiring you to have previous expansions to play ANY given scenario, but if you have them, you will have a much more variable experience when you DO buy a new expansion with new scenarios.

While that's probably true, I can also see some scenarios being sub-optimal if you don't, as in "Place a cultist with ID 1. This cultist is the Maniac". Or "Place tile Hall End 3, this represents the conservatory". With the appropriate expansions being 'highly recommended'.

I don't see this at all. If they were planning this, it would have been that way from the beginning. The tiles already existed for folks who had 1E. They didn't add any new ones, so you would have seen this with the base scenarios already if that was their intention. Even though the sets were just released, you could always use 1E tiles if you had them and we didn't see any signs of such "proxies."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
soakman wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:
soakman wrote:

I don't see this at all. If they were planning this, it would have been that way from the beginning. The tiles already existed for folks who had 1E. They didn't add any new ones, so you would have seen this with the base scenarios already if that was their intention. Even though the sets were just released, you could always use 1E tiles if you had them and we didn't see any signs of such "proxies."

Because it's not something you'd want to do in a launch set - rather you want to design the experience around the monsters you have.

Descent RTL does do this to an extent. Not with tiles but with monsters - if you have certain sets, certain missions will substitute some groups for groups that are just more thematically appropriate, but if you don't have them you just get the base set "proxy" and might not even notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Kingsville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine they will use the creatures used in Arkham Horror since they already have the mold for the figures. It would be the most cost effective way of adding to the game and most people do not have them yet. How many scenarios would they add with each expansion? I would like to say more than one, but at this point in time, I'd be content with a reasonable price of around 10 with one or two figures or tile per scenario. That being said, unless they have more content available initially most new customers will shy away from the product when they see that they are limited to 4 without buying more expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Drakthalos wrote:
Mechanically most monsters are quite close on how they work. And checks might be the same. To use your example a Cultist or a Maniac might both make you make a 2 will horror check.

But the thing is that the flavor text is different and thats what this game is about. If you want mechanically different monsters get descent

Why can't the flavour text and the mechanics be different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High Flying Bird wrote:
Drakthalos wrote:

Why can't the flavour text and the mechanics be different?

They are different. The attacks have you roll different stats and the ratio of, say, will tests to str tests change based on monster. On top of that, don't forget to look at the BOTTOM of the figure when placing them!

Maniacs are better at breaking down barriers, some monsters move through walls, some fly over "impassable" barriers, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.