Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quoridor sounds intriguing: try to race your piece across the board, while setting up walls to hinder your opponent from accomplishing the same objective. I had images of a nifty, brain-twisting maze game developing as the game progressed. Sadly, it was neither nifty nor brain-twisting. In reality, it was a rather simple exercise of moving and trying to force your opponent to travel just a bit further than you. This would allow you to reach the opposite side of the board before your opponent, thereby claiming the victory.

Now, please note that we only played with two players. Perhaps playing with three or four would cause some maze-like corridors and be much more interesting. With 2 players, it seemed a bit too simple and lacking great strategic depth. I may be wrong and could quite possibly be failing to “see” the strategic dimensions, but based on this playing, I was unimpressed.

Jim played most of his walls early, while I tried to conserve mine. When Jim finally began to move, I had enough pieces remaining to force him into a lengthy journey, eventually forcing him to traverse the winding path he had created for me. I coasted to the victory.

Ratings: Greg 4.5, Jim 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg, I started out thinking this was a blocking game, but then I realised it was a game about preventing your opponent from blocking you. I've played 13 times now and I'm still discovering strategy. I was very surprised at how good this game is.

http://sologamer.blogspot.com/2006/09/no-really-quoridor-is-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.