Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings from the Buckeye State, producer of soybeans, corn, and a healthy crop of Agricola players. A month or so ago, a new cohort of gamers invited me to school them in the greatest cardboard subsistence farming game on the planet. How could I say no? They'd picked up a copy of the revised edition and I was eager to give it a spin. Our first contest was, unsurprisingly, a serious blow-out, their first encounter with a 4-player bout that went happily unrecorded. I advised them that the next time would likely end up as a session report, and here we are.

Paul is a fellow toiler in the slave pits of food service. His compadre, Jeff, works at a different restaurant, and Derek labors to keep people from suffering environmental disaster. All three are fellow denizens of BGG, if I'm not mistaken,* and I'll leave it to them to provide further explication if they so choose. We didn't bother with any sort of a draft (there being no real point of it for neophytes almost totally unfamiliar with the cards),** so once we had the game set up, things got underway quickly. Derek got the honors via random selection.

*Which, sadly, I often am.

*There may be only 96 cards in the revised game, but that's still a mess of information to grok. I have no doubt they'll catch on the more they play.

Round One/Fences
Derek – Occ/Assistant Tiller
Jeff – 3W(3)
Geoff – Rsf
Paul – PF
Derek – DL(2f) + PF
Jeff – SP + Clearing Spade (-1W)
Geoff – 2C(2)
Paul – 1G

Derek initiates the proceedings with what will undoubtedly become a mainstay Ock of the revised game, then instinctively obeys the law of “play the card, use the card.” Jeff draws wood to swipe the button and activate a Minor he will use liberally. I gather a variety of resources, biding my time. Paul pursues an early grain strategy. The game is afoot.

Current Status
Derek – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 4f, 1 PF, 1 Ock
Geoff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 4f, 2C/1R/1S
Paul – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 1G, 1 PF
Jeff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 2W, 1 MnImp

Round Two/Grain Utilization
Jeff – 1G
Geoff – 2W(4)
Paul – 1R(2)
Derek – 2C(2)
Jeff – Occ/Small-Scale Farmer°
Geoff – Rsf
Paul – SP + x
Derek – Occ(-1f)/Hedge Keeper

Jeff claims an unexpected grain, I quickly haul in needed lumber, Paul stows away precious reed, and Derek puts in his bid for first cookery. Jeff unveils his lead Ock, another revision stalwart. I happily thrift again, while Paul throws caution to the wind with a Minor-less button heist. Derek spurns timber in favor of another Ock.*

*Constant Reader will note the link shows the OG progenitor; the Revised version does not require a 1Wood trigger. It simply grants three free fences. I have no idea why p-a.com doesn't have the "correct" one up yet.

Current Status
Derek – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 2C, 1 PF, 2 Ock
Geoff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 5f, 4W/2C/2R/2S
Paul – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 2R, 1G, 1 PF
Jeff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 2W, 1G, 1 Ock, 1 MnImp

Round Three/MIMI Jeff – 1W
Paul – 3W(6)
Derek – 1G
Jeff – PF
Geoff – Fish(3f)
Paul – GU (1 Gf)
Derek – DL(2f) + PF
Jeff – SP + Handplow (PF> -1W)
Geoff – MIMI/Brook

Paul claims the stacked cords, Derek and Jeff keep that farming thing going, and I opt for cheap food.* Paul farms, Derek flogs his Tiller, and now Jeff claims the initiative, plus a bargain field by and by. Somewhat stymied, I get out the middling Minor I went fishing for; it'll earn me a whopping 4food.**

*Why I didn't jump on the fireplace after Derek let it slide will be readily apparent shortly after you've finished reading this superfluous footnote.

**I'm thinking I should have picked up the fireplace while I could. This was a perfect instance of “letting the cards play me.”

Current Status
Derek – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 5f, 2C, 1G, 2 PF, 2 Ock
Geoff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 8f, 4W/2C/2R/2S, 1 MnImp
Paul – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 6W/2R, 1 PF(3g)
Jeff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 2W, 1G, 1 PF, 1 Ock, 2 MnImp

Round Four/Sheep Jeff – 1W
Jeff – GU (1 Gf)
Geoff – 1W(4)
Paul – Occ/Childless
Derek – 2W(4)
Jeff – PF (1Gf)°
Geoff – SP + Lumber Mill (-2S)
Paul – BR(1) + x
Derek – MIMI/Fp2 (-2C)

Jeff seems determined to pursue straight-up farming, first sowing his field and then plowing another, shifting a sown grain to it.* I double up on lumber, following up with a button heist to get out a favorite revision Minor.** Paul gets his first Ock into play, then knocks out a room after I demur. Derek hauls wood as well, then claims the cookery I've repeatedly spurned. Paul and Jeff both slough a grain at harvest; Stage One is complete.

*First use of his Clearing Spade.

**It'll translate to an eventual 4Wood. Should I have built a room? I'm not sure.

Current Status
Derek – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 4W, 1G, 2 PF, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp
Geoff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 4f, 8W/2C/2R, 2 MnImp
Paul – 3Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 1W, 1 PF(2g), 1 Ock
Jeff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 3W, 1G, 2 PF(1g), 1 Ock, 2 MnImp

Round Five/Family Growth + MI Jeff – 1W, Paul - 1V/1f
Geoff – 3W(6) +1f
Paul – 2C(6)
Derek – 1G
Jeff – 1C(5)
Geoff – 1R(3) +1f
Paul – TP(5f)
Derek – Fences(1 + 3) (-1W)
Jeff – GU (1 Gf)

After Paul collects his first Ock payoff, I find myself unable to bypass the cheap cords. Unpressed, Paul gloms bargain clay. Derek doubles down on grain, Jeff nabs the other fire-sale clay, and I take the reed.* Still unforced, Paul carefully restocks his larder.** Derek puts Hedge Keeper to task, while Jeff replants his empty field. Hmm...

*Why, yes, a double build seems the way to go. Tip o' the hat to Derek.

**One has to wonder, though, how things might have gone had he foregone the Childless gambit, taken the bull by the horns, and simply topped off his food and then grown.

Current Status
Derek – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 3W, 2G, 2 PF, 1[1x1]p, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp
Geoff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 6f, 14W/2C/5R, 2 MnImp
Paul – 3Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 6f, 1W/6C, 1V, 1 PF(2g), 1 Ock
Jeff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 4W/5C, 0G, 2 PF(4g), 1 Ock, 2 MnImp

Round Six/Renovation + MIMI Jeff – 1W, Paul – 1V/1f
Geoff – Occ/Carpenter
Paul – Rsf
Derek – GU (2Gf)
Jeff – MIMI/CH4
Geoff – BR(2) + 2s (-10W/4R)
Paul – SP + Mining Hammer (1f-1W)
Derek – Sheep(3)
Jeff – PF°

Unhurried,* I pop my first Ock. Paul thrifts, Derek sows, and Jeff builds a hearth. I then do the obvious, followed by Paul's unexpected—and clever—button heist.** Derek hustles the woolies to temporary safety, and Jeff plows with a busy spade. Growth beckons.

*The likelihood of Jeff or Derek blocking my next move is remote, though one can often be surprised by neophyte players. Happily, I get away with it, and the effective 4Wood is mine.

**He not only maintains lead position in the growth queue, but squeezes a better return out of his Ock and generates some downstream wood. Not a bad deal.

Current Status
Derek – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 3W, 0G, 3sh, 2 PF(6g), 1[1x1]p, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp
Geoff – 4Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 6f, 4W/2C/1R, 2s, 1 Ock, 2 MnImp
Paul – 3Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 9f, 6C/1R/1S, 2V, 1 PF(2g), 1 Ock, 1 MnImp
Jeff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 5W/1C, 0G, 3 PF(4g), 1 Ock, 1 MjImp/2 MnImp

Round Seven/Stone Jeff – 1W, Paul – 1V/1f
Paul – FG + x
Derek – 3W(6)
Jeff – Fish(4f)
Geoff – 2W(6)
Paul – Ren>C + Clay Oven + (1s) (-6C/1S)
Derek – Occ(-1f)/Brushwood Collector
Jeff – PF°
Geoff – 1R(2) +1f

Paul finally wishes with authority, though sadly lacking suitable accompaniment. Derek hauls in the sylvan cornucopia, Jeff nervously tops off his larder, and I happily rake in the other woodpile. Paul upgrades, nabs the oven, hammers out a stable. Derek ocks away reed requirements, Jeff pursues his bliss, and I contentedly restock reed. Derek sloughs two grain and a regenerate woolly at harvest; the midgame awaits.

Current Status
Derek – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 9W, 3sh, 2 PF(4g), 1[1x1]p, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp
Geoff – 4Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 10W/2C/3R, 2s, 1 Ock, 2 MnImp
Paul – 3Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 5f, 1G/3V, 1 PF(1g), 1s, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp/1 MnImp
Jeff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 6W/1C, 4G, 4 PF, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp/2 MnImp

Round Eight/Vegetables Jeff – 1W/1PF
Paul – PF
Derek – BR(1) + 1s (-8W)
Jeff – 1V
Geoff – FG + Manger (-1W)
Paul – GU (1 Vf + 5f -1G)
Derek – 2C(6)
Jeff – SP + Herring Pot (-1C)
Geoff – 1C(3) +1f
Paul – 1W(4)

Paul doubles down on fields; Derek puts up a room, dropping a stable into his pasture; Jeff snags a veggie. Forced, I add a worker, getting out a Minor I don't much care for, but play anyway.* Paul vigorously farms, Derek lades in clay, and Jeff retakes the button, playing a Minor he'll never use. I load up on clay as well, and Paul restocks wood.

*To my way of thinking, Manger basically announces that you're not going to compete for plowing very hard. The potential bonus it offers is counterbalanced by the points it tends to neutralize. But, hey, I'm getting it half-price...

Current Status
Derek – 3Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 1W/6C, 3sh, 1s, 2 PF(4g), 1[1x1]p, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp
Geoff – 4Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 4f, 9W/5C/3R, 2s, 1 Ock, 3 MnImp
Paul – 3Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 10f, 4W, 2V, 2 PF(1g/2v), 1s, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp/1 MnImp
Jeff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 7W, 4G/1V, 5 PF, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp/3 MnImp

Round Nine/Boar Jeff – 1W
Jeff – GU (3 Gf/2 Vf + 3f -1G)°
Geoff – Sheep(3)
Paul – 3W(6)
Derek – FG + Bottles (-2C/1sh)
Jeff – BR(0) + 4s (-8W)
Geoff – 1S(3)
Paul – Fences/10 (-10W) 2[2x1]
Derek – TP(4f)
Geoff – MIMI/Fp3 (-3C)
Paul – Occ(-1f)/Pig Breeder (1b)

Jeff carries on with his quixotic farming, as I abscond with the woolies* and Paul helps himself to stacked cords. Derek wastes no time adding a worker while racking up a pointed Minor.** Jeff then maxes out stables. I happily haul rocks. Paul fences paired pastures, Derek restocks supplies, and I claim the distaff fireplace. Paul closes out the Round ocking some piggy enhancement. Derek and Jeff each ditch a grain at harvest; I cook up a reanimate woolly.

*Fear of begging cards drives me, but this is still precursor to setting up some sort of food engine. I can always hire on next Round; I see no real reason to block Derek.

**We ruled that Bottles only counts the Family members currently active. A newborn isn't technically part of your crew until they've returned home for the Round. So said we all. Which means we may still be wrong, but at least we discovered a situation that needs an official ruling. Hi, Eugene!

Current Status
Derek – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 0f, 1W/4C, 1G, 3sh, 1s, 2 PF(2g), 1[1x1]p, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp/1 MnImp
Geoff – 4Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 0f, 9W/2C/3R/3S, 3sh, 2s, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp/3 MnImp
Paul – 3Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 4f, 1G/3V, 1b, 2 PF(1v), 1s, 2[2x1]p, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp/1 MnImp
Jeff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 2G/2V, 5 PF(6g), 4s, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp/3 MnImp

Round Ten/Stone Jeff – 1W
Jeff – Boar(2)
Geoff – 2W(6)
Paul – 1R(3)
Derek – SP + Market Stall> (1V -1G)
Jeff – GU (1Vf +3f -1G)°
Geoff – (b1sh) Occ(-1f)/Seasonal Worker
Paul – Rsf
Derek – DL(2f) + PF
Geoff – FG + Large Greenhouse (1V> -1W)
Paul – 1G
Derek - 2C(4)

I'm much obliged when Jeff corrals piglets, as is Paul. Derek reclaims the button while swapping grain for a veggie. Jeff farms, content. I sacrifice a lamb for the scratch to play an OG faithful,* Paul thrifts, Derek keeps his OG busy, and I crank out another worker and a better-late-than-never Minor. Paul doubles down on grain; Derek hoovers up the clay. As we round the bend of mid- into endgame, the action count is Jeff – 20, Derek – 21, Geoff – 22, Paul – 23. It's still anyone's game, although Jeff probably better have something pretty amazing up his sleeve** to be in contention. We shall see...

*It won't perform overly well, but I need an Ock in gear to allow my next Minor. This is treading into the dangerous territory of letting the cards play me, instead of vice-versa.

*Besides an arm. whistle

Current Status
Derek – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 2f, 1W/8C, 1V, 3sh, 1s, 3 PF(2g), 1[1x1]p, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp/1 MnImp
Geoff – 4Wood Rooms, 4 Peeps, 1f, 14W/2C/3R/3S, 2sh, 2s, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp/4 MnImp
Paul – 3Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 5f, 4R/1S, 2G/3V, 1b, 2 PF(1v), 1s, 2[2x1]p, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp/1 MnImp
Jeff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 1W, 1G/1V, 2b, 5 PF(6g/2v), 4s, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp/3 MnImp

Round Eleven/Cattle Jeff – 1W
Derek – 3W(6)
Jeff – Sheep(2)
Geoff – MIMI/Basketmaker's Workshop (-2R/2S)
Paul – Occ(-1f)/Oven Firing Boy
Derek – GU (1 Vf)
Jeff – Cattle(1)
Geoff – 1C(3) +1f
Paul – SP + Acorns Basket (2b> -1R)
Derek – DL(2f) + PF
Geoff – Rsf
Paul – 1W(3) + 5f-1G
Geoff – Ren>Clay + Fp3>CH5 (-4C/1R)

Derek appropriates the obvious, Jeff herds woolies, and after a bit of consideration, I pick up the crafting Major.* Paul activates a third Ock,** Derek farms, Jeff has a cow,*** and I load up on clay. Paul pigs the button,**** Derek DLs yet again, and I thrift. Paul gets sole use from his new lessons, and with great relief, I effect the classic double upgrade. Derek, Jeff, and I all torch a woolly, plus I chow down on a reed. We're full into the endgame.

*I really want that doggone Well, but feeding takes priority.

**From which he'll get limited use beyond prerequisite for his following play.

***Holy Simpsons, Bartman! Sorry...

****Sorry again...

Current Status
Derek – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 0f, 7W/8C, 2G/1V, 3sh, 1s, 4 PF(1v), 1[1x1]p, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp/1 MnImp
Geoff – 4Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 0f, 14W/1C/2S, 1sh, 2s, 2 Ock, 2 MjImp/4 MnImp
Paul – 3Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 3f, 3W/3R/1S, 1G/4V, 1b, 2 PF, 1s, 2[2x1]p, 3 Ock, 1 MjImp/2 MnImp
Jeff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 2W, 4G/3V, 1sh/3b/1c, 5 PF(3g), 4s, 1 Ock, 1 MjImp/3 MnImp

Round Twelve/Family Growth w/o Jeff – 1W, Paul – 1b
Paul – FG w/o
Derek – Fences(3+3) (-3W)
Jeff – Occ(-1f)/Stable Architect
Geoff – SP + Threshing Board
Paul – 1S(3)
Derek – Boar(2)
Jeff – PF
Geoff – 1S(3)
Paul – Fish(5f)
Derek – GU (2Gf + 1Vf)
Geoff – MIMI/Well (2f> -3S)
Geoff – DL(2f) +1V

Paul doesn't need to be told twice;* he hires on. Derek triples his pastures, Jeff ocks bonus points, and I swipe the button, adding a mostly worthless yet still worthwhile Minor.** Pauls preps for renovation, Derek herds the bacon, Jeff plows, and I copycat Paul, who then empties the fishing hole. Derek farms mightily, and I throw caution to the winds, seizing the Well. Better late than never. Paul's piggies do their thing, cf. Pig Breeder.

*Or, for that matter, once.

**Soon...

Current Status
Derek – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 0f, 4W/8C, 0G/0V, 3sh/2b, 1s, 4 PF(6g/3v), 3[1x1]p, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp/1 MnImp
Geoff – 4Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 2f, 14W/1C/2S, 1V, 1sh, 2s, 2 Ock, 3 MjImp/5 MnImp
Paul – 3Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 8f, 3W/3R/4S, 1G/4V, 3b, 2 PF, 1s, 2[2x1]p, 3 Ock, 1 MjImp/2 MnImp
Jeff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 3W, 4G/3V, 1sh/3b/1c, 6 PF(3g), 4s, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp/3 MnImp

Round Thirteen/Cultivation Jeff – 1W, Paul – 1b, Geoff – 1f
Geoff – FG w/o
Paul – Cu (PF + 1Gf/2Vf)
Derek – DL(2f) + PF
Jeff – GU (1Gf/2Vf +3f -1G)
Geoff – Cattle(2)
Paul – Sheep(2)
Derek – Ren>Clay (-1W/3C) + Mini Pasture> (F/3 – 2f)
Jeff – 1R(3)
Geoff – Rsf
Paul – 3W(6)
Derek – 2W(6)
Geoff – Occ(-1f)/Braggart
Paul – Fences(5) (-5W)

I max out my workforce, Paul farms furiously, Derek DLs a final time, and Jeff caps off farming. I stable the beef, Paul nabs woolies, and Derek upgrades, putting up a final pricey pasture. Jeff gathers reed.* Nonplussed, I thrift. Paul and Derek make short work of the cheap timber, I pop a last vicious Ock, and Paul finishes his fencing. Jeff cooks ham, I burn off a woolly/cow combo, and Derek sloughs paired woolies and grain. Almost over...

*Color me stunned, but in retrospect, probably better off.

Current Status
Derek – 3Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 0f, 9W/5C, 0G/2V, 1sh/3b, 1s, 5 PF(4g/1v), 4[1x1]p, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp/1 MnImp
Geoff – 4Clay Rooms, 5 Peeps, 0f, 14W/1C/1R/3S, 1V, 1c, 2s, 3 Ock, 3 MjImp/5 MnImp
Paul – 3Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 0f, 4W/3R/4S, 1G/3V, 2sh/4b, 3 PF(2g/2v), 1s, 2[2x1]2[1x1]p, 3 Ock, 1 MjImp/2 MnImp
Jeff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 4W/3R, 5G/3V, 1sh/3b/1c, 6 PF(3g/2v), 4s, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp/3 MnImp

Round Fourteen/Renovation + Fences Jeff – 1W, Geoff – 1V/1f
Geoff – Rsf
Paul – 2C(8)
Derek – BR(1) + 3s (-7W/5C)
Jeff – 3W(3)
Geoff – Ren>Stone (-1R/4S) + Fences/12 (-12W)
Paul – Ren>Stone (-1R/3S) + (1s) + MIMI/Fp3 (-3C)
Derek – (b1v) Occ(-1f)/Organic Farmer
Jeff – Fences/8 (-8W)
Geoff – Cu (PF + 1Vf)
Paul – PF
Derek – FG w/o
Geoff – DL(2f) + 1G
Paul – GU (1Vf + 5f -1G)
Geoff – Boar(2)burn1

I thrift, relieved.* Paul takes the bargain bin clay; I figure him aiming for a room and stables followed by renovation and the last cookery. Derek promptly eliminates that possibility by knocking out his own room and remaining stables. Jeff hauls lumber a second and final time. I quickly renovate and fence to best effect. Paul, spooked, jumps the gun and upgrades as well, claiming the last cookery.** Derek roasts a veggie to pay for a final pointed Ock, Jeff fills the empties in his farmyard, and I do my first (and only) farming. Paul opts for a field over growth, which Derek snaps up. I wipe another negative,*** Paul happily farms his way to good health, and I take home the bacon, living and dead. I slough my last reed to feed, Paul drops a superfluous veggie, and Jeff and Derek dine on pig stew, to which Jeff adds paired veggies. It's over; time to score. Sadly, we all know who's riding the caboose.

*Well, mostly. There's still a chance Paul might play dirty, even if it doesn't help him much.

**He wasn't forced in any way. As it turns out, though, it doesn't matter.

***Seasonal worker thus generated a whopping 3food. Woo, hoo! Beats nothing.

Current Status
Derek – 4Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 0f, 1sh/3b, 4s, 5 PF(4g/1v), 4[1x1]p, 3 Ock, 1 MjImp/1 MnImp
Geoff – 4Stone Rooms, 5 Peeps, 0f, 2W/1C, 1G/2V, 1b/1c, 2s, 1 PF(1v), 1[3x3]p, 3 Ock, 3 MjImp/5 MnImp
Paul – 3Stone Rooms, 4 Peeps, 0f, 4W/5C/2R/1S, 4V, 3sh/5b, 4 PF(1g/1v), 1s, 2[2x1]2[1x1]p, 3 Ock, 2 MjImp/2 MnImp
Jeff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 3R, 7G/3V, 1sh/3b/1c, 6 PF(1g/1v), 4s, 1[3x1]p, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp/3 MnImp

Final Score (Ocks Played, Minors/Majors Played)(Wood taken/bonus)(Rounds as SP)(Total Primary(Special) Actions)(PPA*)(Food Spent)
Primary Actions are those first taken when a player claims a space with a family member. In sessions of Farmers on the Moor, special actions are counted as Primary actions, with their subtotal indicated in parentheses. * - Points per Primary Action.

Geoff – 47 (3 Occ, 3^/5)(20/8)(4)(39)(1.205)(43) ^ plus one Major upgrade
Derek – 40 (3 Occ, 1/3°)(22/6)(2)(33)(1.212)(34) ° played two passing Minors
Paul – 36 (3 Occ, 2/2)(22/0)(4)(37)(0.973)(39)
Jeff – 28 (2 Occ, 1/3)(6/12)(4)(28)(1.000)(25)

Player Fields Pastures Grain Veg Sheep Boar Cattle Unused Stables House Peeps Pts Bonus
Geoff 1(-1) 1(1) 1(1) 3(3) 0(-1) 1(1) 1(1) 1(-1) 2(2) 4S(8) 5(15) (10) (8)
Derek 5(4) 4(4) 4(2) 1(1) 1(1) 3(2) 0(-1) 2(-2) 4(4) 4C(4) 4(12) (5) (4)
Paul 4(3) 4(4) 1(1) 5(4) 3(1) 5(3) 0(-1) 2(-2) 2(2) 3S(6) 4(12) (3) (0)
Jeff 6(4) 1(1) 8(4) 5(4) 1(1) 3(2) 1(1) 0(0) 0(0) 2W(0) 2(6) (1) (4)

Final boards clockwise around the table: Paul, Derek, Jeff, Geoff

Bits & Pieces
Jeff proved, just as many before him have done, that winning the game approaches statistical impossibility if you don't pursue expansion. Agricola is, after all is said and done, an economic game; economies tend not to do well without at least some growth. Nonetheless, Jeff managed to be the only one of us to fill his homestead completely, as well as eliminate all his negatives, and with perfectly healthy efficiency. There's that.

Derek and Paul were equally inexperienced, but pursued growth in reasonably good order. Both got fine use out of their lead Ocks; Derek's overall efficiency (and those dang Bottles) gave him the edge over Paul. Had either of them been able to press harder for their fourth peep, things might have gone much differently. Ah, the beauty of the 'Gric: what if, what if, what if...

My win was as good an example of action count surmounting efficiency as any. This allowed me the brute force actions of amassing household and card points to carry the day. Had Jeff competed for construction materials in the early Rounds, I would never have been able to pull off the double build.

As always, thanks for reading, and I hope something useful was gleaned; all transcription and editing errors are mine. The pics of our final boards are courtesy of Jeff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Converse
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wells Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
W Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much. Excellent read as always. Small-Scale Farmer links to the wrong card, was the only bug I noticed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops! Fixed; thanks for the heads-up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My take on Bottles was that since you first grow and then play the minor, the new dude counts. What if you've got Adoptive Parents (I can't recall if it's in the Revised Edition or not)?

edit: but I agree, an official ruling would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Willem van Leeuwen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always nice to read!

One thing about the points-per-action statistic: this doesn't seem to take into account that every player starts with -14 points (or something like that). Could give another view on efficiency
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
My take on Bottles was that since you first grow and then play the minor, the new dude counts. What if you've got Adoptive Parents (I can't recall if it's in the Revised Edition or not)?

edit: but I agree, an official ruling would be nice.

Adoptive Parents is not in the Revised deck. However, you'll note that when it takes effect, the newborn immediately returns home and then becomes available for use; I would rule in that instance that the cost of Bottles would correctly go up. Meanwhile, Bottles is from the NL-deck, which has unfortunately never made it into the (Un)official Compendium, so no official ruling appears to exist at this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
janwillemvl wrote:
Always nice to read!

One thing about the points-per-action statistic: this doesn't seem to take into account that every player starts with -14 points (or something like that). Could give another view on efficiency

This is a good point, one which I think has been brought to my attention before, although I can't remember when or where. Yes, each player starts at -14 (-13 for empty farmyard spaces, -7 for categorical negatives, +6 for two peeps). Coincidentally (or not), there are 14 Rounds in the game; in most cases, that -14 will be cancelled via filling spaces and eliminating negatives. It's almost as if the game engine naturally compensates for the initial deficit. I find that interesting, but am far too rusty to mathematically analyze the phenomenon or its ultimate resolution.

Nonetheless, factoring in the cancellation of the initial deficit would alter the final numbers, but would not affect the overall relationship between actions, food, and scoring. I think of the -14 as a universal handicap that is expected to be overcome by even the weakest players, and thus has little bearing on overall efficiency. Does that make any sense?*

*It kinda sounds neat and tidy, but I dunno...Constant Reader is welcome to school me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, I've noticed a discrepancy between Jeff's final board pic and his tabulated final status. Anyone care to figure out who made the mistake? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Berne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
Btw, I've noticed a discrepancy between Jeff's final board pic and his tabulated final status. Anyone care to figure out who made the mistake? whistle

One pumpkin transformed into a boar. Nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Willem van Leeuwen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
janwillemvl wrote:
Always nice to read!

This is a good point, one which I think has been brought to my attention before, although I can't remember when or where. Yes, each player starts at -14 (-13 for empty farmyard spaces, -7 for categorical negatives, +6 for two peeps). Coincidentally (or not), there are 14 Rounds in the game; in most cases, that -14 will be cancelled via filling spaces and eliminating negatives. It's almost as if the game engine naturally compensates for the initial deficit. I find that interesting, but am far too rusty to mathematically analyze the phenomenon or its ultimate resolution.

Nonetheless, factoring in the cancellation of the initial deficit would alter the final numbers, but would not affect the overall relationship between actions, food, and scoring. I think of the -14 as a universal handicap that is expected to be overcome by even the weakest players, and thus has little bearing on overall efficiency. Does that make any sense?*

*It kinda sounds neat and tidy, but I dunno...Constant Reader is welcome to school me.

I suppose you have a point. I mean, if the initial negative points are considered that also the negative points that are avoided by paying food should be considered, but that seems a bit unnecessary. In the end it's the total number of points and the fun that was had that count. All the other statistics are just statistics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wells Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
W Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
janwillemvl wrote:
Always nice to read!

The only effect I can immediately think of is the difference in scores, with 0 as a base line a difference of 2 points is a larger margin than when looking at that same difference when the base line is -14.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really appreciated the links for the cards. I know it takes more time, so thanks for doing that - definitely improved my comprehension of what was going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
bwt2q wrote:
I really appreciated the links for the cards. I know it takes more time, so thanks for doing that - definitely improved my comprehension of what was going on.

As much as I cringe at the extra work, I have to agree; it makes things much easier on the reader. I appreciate the nod.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.