Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Custom d20 dice to replace Chaos tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nagy András
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the leaked rules the different difficulty settings (what tokens to include into the bag) could be managed with a set of d20 dice.

With dice rolls the game would get additional RPG-flavour.

Of course the same values (eg. -1 / 0 / +1 etc.) should be differentiated on the sides, when re-roll is needed for "pulling" additional token(s).

Any ideas where such dice could be ordered online?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow, you'd need a different die for every scenario and difficulty level, not to mention the ongoing evolution of the Chaos Bag while playing. I love dice, but the Chaos Bag seems far too fluid to want to make use of them.
Sorry, I suppose that's not very helpful.

Edit: In an effort to not be completely useless, I hear people like Q-Workshop's stuff. I'd still strongly recommend you see how the Chaos Bag actually gets used before committing to anything, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dax is
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer a chaos deck of cards to a bag....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's to emulate the mechanic from AH the board game where you pull monster tokens out of a bag. Also FFG loves tokens in their card games. I agree that you could easily accomplish the same thing with a deck of cards and that would be a pretty easy fan mod if someone wanted to make up some card templates. I think I'll still use the bag though. It's much easier to shake up a bag for randomness than to shuffle a deck of cards (especially a fairly small deck). It seems like you'd need to shuffle that deck fairly regularly. it's one of the reasons I'm not that big into deck building games like Legendary or Dominion. I just don't enjoy shuffling cards that much. I really hate Keyhole in Netrunner for that reason as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hemming
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools

as mathew already pointed out you would need to shuffle the cards after every "Chaos Phase" as the tokens are returned to the bag once drawn so I guess that a deck of cards would be a pretty damn uncomfortable solution whistle

I'm totally fine with the different flavour the "pulling out of a bag" gives us as dice are in every second game nowadays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone needs to make a custom dart board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hemming
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools

Donkler wrote:
Someone needs to make a custom dart board.

due to my lack in dart skills I would prefer a goal wall as I would find the outcome of my dart throws way too random
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Joy
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DuaneBarry wrote:

You should use a regular d20 and create a table with 1-20 down the side and all the different bag permutations across the top. Then you roll the d20 and look up the result on the table. That's old school RPG flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was said in one if the articles I believe that during the course of a campaign we'll be adding and taking away tokens to represent adjusting conditions. If the bag doesn't stay consistent, most of those static ways of choosing won't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Jennings
United States
El Cerrito
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yojnoj wrote:
DuaneBarry wrote:

You should use a regular d20 and create a table with 1-20 down the side and all the different bag permutations across the top. Then you roll the d20 and look up the result on the table. That's old school RPG flavor.

This would work. If you enjoy making things complicated, this could even cover the case where the bag changes. You could have a mat with each number up to the number of chits in the bag at any time, and then just put the chits next to the numbers. As things are supposed to be added or removed from the bag, just add or remove chits from your mat. When you are supposed to take a chit from the bag, you'ld roll a die, and then use the chit next to the number you rolled.

If you want to get fancy, you could put magnets on the chits and on your number-mat so that it doesn't get jostled, or so you can put it vertical.

(Personally, I think I'm going with the bag)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.