Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Gipson
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard people refer to this game's expansion as "modular" but from reading the rules, it doesn't really read that way.

I was wondering if there was a way or a plan for introducing only parts of the expansion at a time? I know using the expansion changes the end game scoring, which makes me think that you have to either use all or nothing as far as the expansion components go. Do you all have a method for slowly working in some of the expansion components without using them all, but also without breaking the end-game scoring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Maire
France
St Jean de Moirans
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which expansion are you referring to???

If talking about the Dark Alley, then it is obviously all or nothing as you flip the board.
If talking about Daalghard's Gift (sorry for mispelling...), it includes 2 expansions that can be combine or not:
1) Magician Powers --> Addditional cards to give each magicians special powers and make them unique ; can only be used with Dark Alley, but for obvious reasons you would not play with Magician Powers and base game...
2) Magician's Duel --> just alternative performance cards dedicated to the 2p games

Thus I don't see where you have an expansion that could be anything else than all or nothing. Either you play with it or not.
Globally Magician powers increase scores a little bit, but not that much.
Dark alley obviously increase scores a lot as there are 2 additional rounds with 36 fame tricks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Jeffreys
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one 'expansion' included in the game (Dark Alley), and there is one which is shipped separately (Dahlgaard's Gifts).
It's modular in the context that you can play with Dark Alley with or without using the Magician Powers from Dahlgaard's Gifts.

Base Game
Dark Alley
Dark Alley + Magician Powers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly agree with the previous answers. There is one way to limit the complexity of the Dark Alley a little bit though: the first time my wife and I played with Dark Alley, we decided not to use the Prophecies. This does not exist as an official variant, and it did feel like something was missing a little bit from the Dark Alley as a location on the board (the only action left is to take Special Assignment Cards), but it did simplify the game a whole lot. I wouldn't consider it a variant to play normally, but for the first time you go from the base game to Dark Alley, I think it's a valid option if you want to keep the jump in complexity as small as possible (it will be big anyway).

I guess you could also play Dark Alley without using the Magician Abilities (the ones printed on the Dark Alley side of the Magician Cards). Actually, now that I think about it, that seems like a very easy and "modular" thing to remove if you want. Again, not something I would consider doing for regular play, but definitely something that could ease the learning curve in the beginning. This really should make any difference on the balancing of the game either, as you're just opting out of variable player abilities and using identical player abilities instead…

The Magician Abilities are actually the part of the rules that I've had the most trouble remembering to use. The Prophecies and Special Assignment Cards are changing all the time, which makes them a lot more complex, but it also reminds you that they are there to consider. First time I played with the Mechaniker, I forgot to give one the +1 action point to of my Apprentices for probably 5 out of 7 turns…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Vandermeulen
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I think there are lots of possible steps to slowly build the game complexity.

Base game (5 rounds, 2 trick levels)
Flip board just to go 7 rounds and include level 3 tricks
Add dark alley assignment cards only
Add dark alley prophecies
Add magician power cards
Use character specific powers

And if playing two player:
Use two player venues
Use duel of magicians cards to tighten up board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rik V wrote:
I think there are lots of possible steps to slowly build the game complexity.

Base game (5 rounds, 2 trick levels)
Flip board just to go 7 rounds and include level 3 tricks
Add dark alley assignment cards only
Add dark alley prophecies
Add magician power cards
Use character specific powers

And if playing two player:
Use two player venues
Use duel of magicians cards to tighten up board

You would probably need to add the dark alley things at once as I believe some assignment cards have to do with prophecies (or just remove those cards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.