2 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » Variants

Subject: Former Alliance Solo Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Cooper
United States
flag msg tools
I greatly enjoy solo play for Star Realms, especially if there's a theme or a campaign behind the enemy. So I've been working on a campaign of my own called The Former Alliance. This is what I have mocked up so far.

Former Alliance (Solo Variant)

While waging war on a small sect of the Trade Federation, a group of rather experienced soldiers from your alliance has banned together and betrayed you. They seek to wipe out you and your cause all while building their own. What that cause may be, we hope to never find out. And while they may not have the resources that you do, they have come fully equipped with a disintegration ray aboard their “borrowed” materials. You must defeat them at their source.

Setup

For this game, the Player deck consist of 3 Vipers and 7 Scouts. The Player selects the 2 Gambit cards, “Veteran Pilots” and “Hidden Base” and places them on his side of the board. These cards may be used at any time, however “Hidden Base” must be played if the Player’s Authority reaches 15 or below. If at any time the “Secret Outpost” is destroyed, the Player loses the game.

Former Alliance starts with 50 Authority and the Player starts with 65.

You take the first turn, only drawing 5 cards instead of 3.

Play

During Former Alliance’s turn, scrap the card in the trade row furthest from the Trade Deck. If it was an Outpost, place it under Former Alliance. If it was a ship with Combat or Authority, place it under Fomer Alliance. Reveal a new card from the Trade Deck to fill the empty spot in the trade row.The faction of the revealed card and its cost determine Former Alliance’s ability for that turn (see reverse).

Former Alliance uses its Combat to destroy bases whenever possible, unless it can reduce your Authority to zero. Former Alliance always attacks the base with the most defense which it can destroy (choose at random if there is a tie). If “Secret Outpost” is in play, Former Alliance will always attack it. If you have no bases, Former Alliance attacks you directly. Your Outpost protect you and your non-outpost bases as normal. Once Former Alliance has used all of its combat, its turn ends.

If you would make target opponent discard a card, instead you draw a card, then discard a card. If you would destroy target base, instead you gain 3 combat.

Former Alliance uses the Defense of Outpost, as well as their Combat or Authority. Former Alliance uses the Combat or Authority of any ship under its control as well. When given the option between Combat and Authority, Former Alliance always chooses Combat.

A Mercenary ship has a Defense value of 2 and must be hit within a single turn to destroy it.

Faction Abilities:

Yellow, Star Empire: Discard 2 cards, add 2 Mercenaries into play, and Former Alliance deals damage equal to the number of Mercenaries in play x2 plus cost.

Green, Blob: Former Alliance destroys a base that you control, then attacks with power equal to the number of cards in the trade row discard pile.

Red, Machine Cult: Scrap all cards from the trade row and Former Alliance deals damage equal to the card with the highest cost among them. If an Outpost is destroyed this way, place it under Former Alliance control.

Blue, Trade Federation: Former Alliance gains 5 Authority and 2 Mercenaries. Scrap the card with the highest cost value from the trade row.

I'm sorry if the formatting is off. And if you do not have the Gambit cards I've listed, there are ways to accommodate. Such as, remembering that Vipers deal 3 damage now instead of 1. And When your Authority reaches 15 or below, gain 4 Authority and use a token of some sort to represent a 4 Defense Outpost.

I hope you all enjoy my variant. I've played it a few times now and it has been fun and fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
Once_A_Chunk wrote:
I greatly enjoy solo play for Star Realms, especially if there's a theme or a campaign behind the enemy. So I've been working on a campaign of my own called The Former Alliance. This is what I have mocked up so far.

Former Alliance (Solo Variant)

While waging war on a small sect of the Trade Federation, a group of rather experienced soldiers from your alliance has banned together and betrayed you. They seek to wipe out you and your cause all while building their own. What that cause may be, we hope to never find out. And while they may not have the resources that you do, they have come fully equipped with a disintegration ray aboard their “borrowed” materials. You must defeat them at their source.

Setup

For this game, the Player deck consist of 3 Vipers and 7 Scouts. The Player selects the 2 Gambit cards, “Veteran Pilots” and “Hidden Base” and places them on his side of the board. These cards may be used at any time, however “Hidden Base” must be played if the Player’s Authority reaches 15 or below. If at any time the “Secret Outpost” is destroyed, the Player loses the game.

Former Alliance starts with 50 Authority and the Player starts with 65.

You take the first turn, only drawing 5 cards instead of 3.

Play

During Former Alliance’s turn, scrap the card in the trade row furthest from the Trade Deck. If it was an Outpost, place it under Former Alliance. If it was a ship with Combat or Authority, place it under Fomer Alliance. Reveal a new card from the Trade Deck to fill the empty spot in the trade row.The faction of the revealed card and its cost determine Former Alliance’s ability for that turn (see reverse).

Former Alliance uses its Combat to destroy bases whenever possible, unless it can reduce your Authority to zero. Former Alliance always attacks the base with the most defense which it can destroy (choose at random if there is a tie). If “Secret Outpost” is in play, Former Alliance will always attack it. If you have no bases, Former Alliance attacks you directly. Your Outpost protect you and your non-outpost bases as normal. Once Former Alliance has used all of its combat, its turn ends.

If you would make target opponent discard a card, instead you draw a card, then discard a card. If you would destroy target base, instead you gain 3 combat.

Former Alliance uses the Defense of Outpost, as well as their Combat or Authority. Former Alliance uses the Combat or Authority of any ship under its control as well. When given the option between Combat and Authority, Former Alliance always chooses Combat.

A Mercenary ship has a Defense value of 2 and must be hit within a single turn to destroy it.

Faction Abilities:

Yellow, Star Empire: Discard 2 cards, add 2 Mercenaries into play, and Former Alliance deals damage equal to the number of Mercenaries in play x2 plus cost.

Green, Blob: Former Alliance destroys a base that you control, then attacks with power equal to the number of cards in the trade row discard pile.

Red, Machine Cult: Scrap all cards from the trade row and Former Alliance deals damage equal to the card with the highest cost among them. If an Outpost is destroyed this way, place it under Former Alliance control.

Blue, Trade Federation: Former Alliance gains 5 Authority and 2 Mercenaries. Scrap the card with the highest cost value from the trade row.

I'm sorry if the formatting is off. And if you do not have the Gambit cards I've listed, there are ways to accommodate. Such as, remembering that Vipers deal 3 damage now instead of 1. And When your Authority reaches 15 or below, gain 4 Authority and use a token of some sort to represent a 4 Defense Outpost.

I hope you all enjoy my variant. I've played it a few times now and it has been fun and fair.

So basically, you lose the game if you're at 15, since there is no way you can protect a 4 defense base against an opponent that has tons of ships in play, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.