Subject: Twin Cities AmeriTrash - Kill Team Discussion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

WHAT IS KILL TEAM?

Kill Team is a bite-sized version of the Warhammer 40,000 miniatures game, where each player controls 1 or 2 squads of grimdark warriors rather than a vast army. This lets you get sucked into full-scale games slowly collect a small force easily and get several games in the the time it would take to complete a regular one.

HOW IS IT DIFFERENT FROM REGULAR 40K?

Don't be fooled by the cute boxed set and the friendly name - Kill Team is still Warhammer 40K, just with modifications to work at a smaller scale. Therefore, if the basics of moving, shooting, and rolling piles of D6 (and the accompanying agony of seeing them all turn up 1's) don't appeal to you, Kill Team won't change your opinion. However, if it's bad credit, marital strife, long play time, and stacks of expensive books that keep you from enjoying full-scale 40K, maybe Kill Team is for you.

Key differences include:

-While your army is selected as usual from your codex army list entries, each model is counted as its own unit during the game. This has numerous implications, but mostly it means that your key model that has your best weapon will inevitably get sniped on the first turn, or suffer some other ignominious fate.

-Most big, tough units can't be taken - heavy armored vehicles, creatures with lots of wounds, and other specialized kit are off-limits. Also no 2+ armor saves, so Space Marine Terminators and the like are also a no-go.

-No HQ units either - so no Eldar Farseers, Space Marine Captains, or other bad dudes.

-The game is played on a 4'x4' table, for a more intimate feel.

WHAT DO I NEED TO PLAY?

First, you're going to need a second bank account and income stream. Then, you'll need a shipping container to store all of the plastic dudes you're about to buy. Then...

Wait, that's regular 40K. At a minimum, you'll need:

-A Warhammer 40,000 7th Edition rulebook. The nice hardbound set of books is fancy but expensive. The mini rulebook included with the Kill Team boxed set is the same as the hardback book, only smaller. This mini rulebook is also available from various ebay sellers. There's a digital version of the rulebook available on iBooks & Google Play too.

-The Codex (army book) for the army you want to play. Many players have numerous codexes, so if you want to "try before you buy," ask around.

-Tape measure (with inches) and dice (d6). Choose good dice, because you'll be rolling a lot of them. A scatter die (a Games Workshop special die used to determine where something randomly moves on the table) is useful, but not everyone needs one and they're oddly hard to find these days.

-The plastic dudes themselves. There are a lot of great ways to acquire miniatures for Kill Team (which is one of the most appealing aspects of the format). The Kill Team box itself is an obvious start: you get a Space Marine squad and a Tau Fire Warrior squad, in addition to the mini rulebook and Kill Team book. It's obviously not much good if you're not interested in either of those factions, though.

Most of the "Start Collecting" boxes, available for most of the main factions, are a good start; be warned, however, that many of these contain vehicles that aren't legal for Kill Team. The Eldar one is especially unsuitable.

There are a couple of big boxes available (Death Masque, and others) that are packed full of stuff, but might be too much if you're just looking to dip your toe in the grimdark waters of 40K. You could always split the box with another sucker aspiring general.

If nothing else, you can just buy a box of infantry for the faction you like and put it on the table. Most single infantry squads can be kitted out to be a reasonable Kill Team.

WHAT ELSE?

Feel free to ask questions, and let's get some games together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LINKS

GW's Official Kill Team Event (still yet to be revealed?):
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/killteam-event#US

Web-based List Builder:
http://webapplications-webroster.rhcloud.com/rc/web/#/roster...

BattleScribe (my choice for list building, available on mobile or PC):
https://battlescribe.net/

Heralds of Ruin - an alternative Kill Team rule set:
http://heralds-of-ruin.blogspot.com/p/kill-team-rules.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dino Minutolo
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Delobius wrote:
Reserved for scheduling, further information, etc.

I'd be willing to "coach" some Kill Team. When works for people? Columbus Day weekend looks pretty good for me right now (10/7 - 10/10).

Ben and I were trying to planning a Myth day at FFGC on the 8th at 1, but other than that I'm pretty open.

As someone who hasn't played 40K at all, what would be a good starting point for a newb? Is it better to get the Kill Team box, get some things that look interesting piecemeal (Squad, Codex, etc.,), or try squads out that other people may generously offer to borrow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't have any experience with 40K at all, I'd definitely recommend a "try before you buy" approach - the factions play quite differently, and some are very much better than others (especially if you expand beyond Kill Team). I have plenty of different squads you could try out, so you can get a feel for a few of the armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dino Minutolo
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Delobius wrote:
If you don't have any experience with 40K at all, I'd definitely recommend a "try before you buy" approach - the factions play quite differently, and some are very much better than others (especially if you expand beyond Kill Team). I have plenty of different squads you could try out, so you can get a feel for a few of the armies.

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intimidated to ponderous at this point...

Hell I have only been able to play A&A twice, the sum of both session's time much less than I spent painting cars I could buy at target for a buck or less each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a squad of Orks ready to go, my Ork Codex is older, from 1999 not sure which edition it is.

It seems like FFG would be a good place to play, since they have such nice terrain tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what is found when Kill Team is entered in GW's search on their site. Some of the sets are listed as Kill Teams, maybe all of them are suitable? I wasn't sure about the ones with vehicles.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/search/searchResults.js...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great! Thanks Alex for starting this thread, and thank you Chad for igniting this little fire on the forums. I'd like to give Kill Team a shot, just not sure when I can play yet. I'd definitely like to try before I buy, I really don't need MORE plastic toys in my already stuffed shipping container

Is there something similar to Kill Team for Age of Sigmar? I just ask as I'm slowly buying models for that for Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower and Gorechosen. Could I ever field a Kill Team of Blood Warriors using the Codex of an existing WH40K army? Maybe that's sacrilege? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavetoad wrote:
I'm intimidated to ponderous at this point...

Hell I have only been able to play A&A twice, the sum of both session's time much less than I spent painting cars I could buy at target for a buck or less each.

Haha, yeah, I didn't mean to scare anyone away, but I did want to make sure people know that even though it's small 40K, it's still 40K, with all that entails.

Chad, as far as that search, all of those look good, except the ones with flying vehicles. Unfortunately, the new Deathwatch faction also organizes its troops into "kill-teams" so you get their stuff too, when you search.

Quote:
Is there something similar to Kill Team for Age of Sigmar? I just ask as I'm slowly buying models for that for Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower and Gorechosen. Could I ever field a Kill Team of Blood Warriors using the Codex of an existing WH40K army? Maybe that's sacrilege?

As far as I know, Age of Sigmar is flexible enough that you can scale the game down quite a bit. There isn't a dedicated skirmish-type game for it, though.

Funny you should mention the AoS Khorne models for 40K - I was thinking of doing the same thing myself, using those blood dudes as Khorne Berserkers in the Chaos Space Marine army. The existing models for those guys are super ugly and really old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dino Minutolo
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
pekin2121 wrote:
Here is what is found when Kill Team is entered in GW's search on their site. Some of the sets are listed as Kill Teams, maybe all of them are suitable? I wasn't sure about the ones with vehicles.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/search/searchResults.js...

"It's as if a million wallets all cried out in pain and were suddenly silenced."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I stopped in at the Games Workshop store in Eden Prairie a few weeks ago, the manager said he was going to start up a KT day/night on Thursdays. I wish it was closer so I could check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly the most convenient location. For all the discussion about whether or not Roseville is "central," Eden Prairie sure isn't...

Speaking of Roseville, who would be up for a Kill Team clinic at FFG on Sunday, October 9th? It doesn't look like there are any big events there that day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delobius wrote:
Not exactly the most convenient location. For all the discussion about whether or not Roseville is "central," Eden Prairie sure isn't...

Speaking of Roseville, who would be up for a Kill Team clinic at FFG on Sunday, October 9th? It doesn't look like there are any big events there that day.

I might be able to make it. I'm gaming all day Sat. the 8th...so it might be tough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dino Minutolo
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
pekin2121 wrote:
Delobius wrote:

I might be able to make it. I'm gaming all day Sat. the 8th...so it might be tough.

Same here. I'll be at FFGC for some Myth with Ben on the 8th, but if I can swing both days, I would try and be there for some Kill Team as well. Besides, I'll need a break from all the Gears of War I'll be playing Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, well, I'm not married to that date - I could do FFG on Saturday too, if anyone wants to do a combo with their other gaming. Or maybe some other date - perhaps a weekday. I'm not available the following weekend (15-16 Oct).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
St. Paul
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we could do an intro to on the 8th, that'd be great. I have Eldars, but I'm learning they might be unsuited for Kill Team. But I'll be at FFGC all afternoon/night on the 8th. So if it works, great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
12from1 wrote:
If we could do an intro to on the 8th, that'd be great. I have Eldars, but I'm learning they might be unsuited for Kill Team. But I'll be at FFGC all afternoon/night on the 8th. So if it works, great!

OK, around 3pm on the 8th at FFG? I can hang around and teach a few games, and I'll bring some miniatures along for people that want to try. We can do another learning day for those that can't make it on the 8th.

I think Eldar will be fine for KT, depending on what units you have...some of their shenanigans don't work as well because of each model being its own unit, but they're still solid. What do you have on hand? (No Wraithlord, because it's a heavy support choice and you can't take those in KT.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
St. Paul
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delobius wrote:
12from1 wrote:

OK, around 3pm on the 8th at FFG? I can hang around and teach a few games, and I'll bring some miniatures along for people that want to try. We can do another learning day for those that can't make it on the 8th.

I think Eldar will be fine for KT, depending on what units you have...some of their shenanigans don't work as well because of each model being its own unit, but they're still solid. What do you have on hand? (No Wraithlord, because it's a heavy support choice and you can't take those in KT.)

Well horsefeathers. The only thing I have are Wraithlords! Ha!

Looks like I'll be learning on your units, and if I like the game enough, I'll invest in smaller Eldar units. Thanks for the offer. Chad and Shaun won't be available on the 8th, but Dino and I will be, at FFGC. So we'll see you there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I'll bring some Eldar so you can get the flavor of non-Wraithlord units.

Of course, right after I posted above, a family event came up that day, between 4-8pm. So I can come down beforehand - as early as noon - or afterwards. What works for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Locke
United States
St. Paul
MN - Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't meet until 1PM, and Dino and I were planning Myth then. But I'm planning on being there until close, playing Myth, Mansions of Madness, and anything else that comes up. So, I won't speak for Dino or anyone else interested, but later that evening works better for my plans.

Thanks again. I'm already hearing my wallet sob over this endeavor (whether it's a sad sob or happy sob is yet to be determined).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dino Minutolo
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
My wife works that night, so I'm free all evening. Basically, I plan on being there a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll come by in the evening then - should be there by 8. Hopefully we can elbow our way into a table or two!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delobius wrote:
I'll come by in the evening then - should be there by 8. Hopefully we can elbow our way into a table or two!

I'm excited to hear what Ben and Dino think of the game. Hopefully I can make the next KT demo/session/slaughter fest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Snyder
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
I'm excited to hear what Ben and Dino think of the game. Hopefully I can make the next KT demo/session/slaughter fest.

Agreed! I'll be out of town this weekend so can't make it... after gaming let's hear some session reports and thoughts of how it went? Hoping it goes well and we can get another game day scheduled!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.