Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quick couple of Newb questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Taylor
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Just running through a short Libya campaign to flesh out the rules and have a couple of questions, apologies if they're obvious!

1: I lost all aircraft due to forgetting you could abort and fly home, I take it I safely assume this is the end of my campaign? :-)

2: Target Cards. The rulebook seems to mention the word discard a few times, does it mean actually discard or does it mean put to one side ready for the target choosing stage on the next day?

It took me a while to get my head around realising that target cards are put to one side if not chosen and accumulate, making your choices more varied but also increasing the chance ALL sites have improvements.

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It really sounds like you should learn from the experience and start another campaign. However you still need to play through the Home-Bound section See page 14

So, you need to roll for SAR (Search and Rescue) to see if any of your pilots lived or died. See Search And Rescue Page 14 in rule book.

Lose 1 Victory Point for each of your Aircraft that was
Destroyed during the Campaign.

Destroyed Aircraft
If the Pilot is recovered by SAR, add the indicated amount of
Stress to his card, the Pilot rejoins the Squadron, and continues
as normal. (page 15)

You don't "Discard" Improvement cards... until they are destroyed.

When you discard a card, that means... take it out of play. You will shuffle the discarded cards back into play if you "run out". See: Shuffling Card Decks page 6.

Page 8 of rules:
Draw Target Cards

Examine each of the Target cards and select one as the Target
of the mission. Place it in the Center Area of the Tactical
Display Sheet. Discard the other Target cards.


Hope that helps.

EDITS for spelling and page numbers
6 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Taylor
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James, yes indeed it was a learning experience!

I tried to play through the Homeward bound section and it just seemed pointless. Two pilots were lost completely and the others were in a mess with something like 9 stress. There was no way I could carry on, I should have just aborted, an option I forgot all about.

The discard targets issue: I think what the wording should say is, discard unused target cards UNLESS it has an improvement on it. Am I correct or is this wrong?

The word discard in all other games I've played means 'get rid of' whereas in this game it means put to one side for selection later, correct?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Yep, at least to my knowledge. Discarding the ones that aren't Scramble or IMPROVEMENTS can be used for the Day after.

BTW, would you care to check out my Premise for my up-and-coming variant to this awesome game? You might want to also play HLCAO some more to understand how the game plays before diving into my would-be variant.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1628329/hornet-leader-comma...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Olsen
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Crookedeyeboy wrote:

1: I lost all aircraft due to forgetting you could abort and fly home


One of the sometimes nerve-wracking command decisions in the game is whether to abort, or press on, after something goes wrong. Sometimes I feel guilty because I decided to press on and got some of my fine pilots shot down.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crookedeyeboy wrote:


The word discard in all other games I've played means 'get rid of' whereas in this game it means put to one side for selection later, correct?


I read the rule literally... to DISCARD the unused cards (not counting the Improvement cards)

If/when you run OUT of target cards, shuffle the discard pile to create a new target deck.

The rule on page 8 says:

• Pre-Flight
Draw Target Cards

Examine each of the Target cards and select one as the Target
of the mission. Place it in the Center Area of the Tactical
Display Sheet. Discard the other Target cards.

(I highlighted and underlined for effect)

The only card you can set aside to use later during this campaign is the Improvement card.

The Scramble card MUST be played immediately. Discard the other cards you picked (except any Improvement cards) and play the Scramble card as your mission for today.

Jim
6 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Mellonhead3013 wrote:
Crookedeyeboy wrote:

1: I lost all aircraft due to forgetting you could abort and fly home


One of the sometimes nerve-wracking command decisions in the game is whether to abort, or press on, after something goes wrong. Sometimes I feel guilty because I decided to press on and got some of my fine pilots shot down.


Yep, it's tough leading a flight to victory. Though the casualties I suffered in all the times I played HLCAO were overall minor.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Taylor
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimM wrote:
Crookedeyeboy wrote:


The word discard in all other games I've played means 'get rid of' whereas in this game it means put to one side for selection later, correct?


I read the rule literally... to DISCARD the unused cards (not counting the Improvement cards)

If/when you run OUT of target cards, shuffle the discard pile to create a new target deck.

The rule on page 8 says:

• Pre-Flight
Draw Target Cards

Examine each of the Target cards and select one as the Target
of the mission. Place it in the Center Area of the Tactical
Display Sheet. Discard the other Target cards.

(I highlighted and underlined for effect)

The only card you can set aside to use later during this campaign is the Improvement card.

The Scramble card MUST be played immediately. Discard the other cards you picked (except any Improvement cards) and play the Scramble card as your mission for today.

Jim


Thanks again Jim, just to finally clarify, the target cards with Improvement on are set to one side and their effect affects ALL targets including the one you've chosen to play for the day?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, even the target with the improvement itself.
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Taylor
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. Its taken me a while to get my head around this game, and truth be told the main reason I bought it was for the Cthulhu expansion. Now I can drop some serious weapons on some Leng Spiders!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Walkley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Just got this game myself and prepping to play.

Just thought I'd add some additional clarity to the discussion, the way Improvements work is explained on p5:

"Improvement - This trait activates when the Target card is
drawn. Apply the effect until you Destroy the Target card. If
you do not select or Destroy these Target cards, do not discard
them. These cards remain available for mission selection, in
addition to your Recon Target draws, until Destroyed."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.