Hide
9 Posts

Star Wars: Destiny» Forums » Rules

Subject: FAQ material rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Selfish
msg tools
So, SW Destiny boasts Lukas Litzsinger and Corey Konieczka as designers, who did an excellent job with their latest creations.
This game's rules are explained briefly on a two-side sheet, which brings inevitably some compromises. Truth is, after just a few test games I've come up with several unanswered questions.
I might have missed something of course, and many of them are just extreme scenarios, but I decided I would make a list with my personal interpretations. Any opinion, or possibly addition, is welcome!
Here we go:

1) What happens if I don't have enough cards in my deck to draw up to 5 at the end of the upkeep phase, but I have at least one card in my hand or deck?
The rules just say that you lose the game if you have no cards in your hand and your deck, so that's not the case.
I think it's safe to say that you just draw as many cards as you can.

2)What happens if I have more than 5 cards in my hand at the beginning of step 3 in the upkeep phase?
This is definitely possible, thanks to Luke Skywalker.
The official rules say:
[Step] 3 Discard any number of cards from your hand. Then redraw until you have 5 cards in hand.
Despite there being no mention of forced discards, I think that the spirit of the rules is that you should end the upkeep phase with 5 cards in hand, unless your deck goes empty.
So, keeping in mind also question 1), I would rephrase the rules to something like:
Discard until you have 5 cards in hand, if necessary. Then discard any additional number of cards from your remaining hand. Then redraw until you have 5 cards in hand, if able.

Nothing. You can still discard as many cards as you want and if, after that, you have 5 or more cards in hand, you keep them and skip redraw.

3) What happens if I replace an upgrade with another one that costs fewer resources?
The rules say that you pay the difference in cost, but don't mention the case in which the difference is negative.
However, believing that you can actually gain resources by playing a card would be definitely too far-fetched, so I guess in this case you simply play the upgrade for free.

4) Can I attach two copies of the same non-unique upgrade to the same character?
Rules don't say anything against it, so I guess you can. It should be noted that, thematically, this sometimes makes sense (whielding two Lightsabers is fine by me), sometimes it does not (two Jedi Robes... maybe on Hoth?).

5) What happens if I replace an upgrade whose die has already been rolled?
Well, this usually doesn't make a lot of sense, but you might really need the "after you play this" effect of the card (e.g., Jedi Robes).
I think it's reasonable to say that, in this case, you behave similarly to when an upgrade is redeployed after a character is defeated. So, the old upgrade's die is removed, and the new one is placed on the character's card.

6) What happens if I have two copies of the same upgrade attached to a character, at least one of their dice has already been rolled, and I replace one of them with a new upgrade?
Well, when two like upgrade dice are added to a character, you sort of lose the link to their associated card. However, I think it's fair to say that in this case you get to choose which die to remove. After all, choosing a card or the other makes no difference.

7) Is the use of shields optional?
Based on the cards spoiled so far, I don't think it makes sense not to use any shield available. Indeed, the rules make it sound like blocking damage is not optional, therefore I'd go with this.
However, I can see some characters being added in the future whose abilities improve with their taken damage or, possibly, with the number of shields on them. So this will probably need some clarification.

No, it's mandatory. Whenever characters with shields are dealt blockable damage, shield tokens must be removed before damage tokens can be added.
The attacker cannot force the use of shields when dealing unblockable damage, either.

8) What happens if I want to play a unique card while I already have another copy in play?
Again, I think this currently doesn't make much sense, but a unique card with an "after you play this" effect might always be released at some point (see point 5).
So, you either can play the second card discarding the first one at the same time, or you can't play it at all.
This is a tough call, but I guess you can't play it. But maybe you can if the card is an upgrade and you replace it. Can't say for sure, really.

This is forbidden, however. If you have a unique card in play, you cannot play a second copy, even if it's an upgrade that would replace the one in play.

9) During the Resolve Your Dice action, are all dice resolved simultaneously?
Nope, dice are resolved one by one. Each die must be spent on a single target, but different dice can have different targets.
The only exception are modifier dice (the ones with the plus sign), which must be resolved simultaneously with the die they're added to and on the same target.

10) Is the effect of claiming a battlefield mandatory?
No, it's optional. You may claim Salvage Yard and not move any card from your discard pile to your deck for example, even if there's one or more that would be eligible.

UPDATE:
Questions 2, 7 and 8 are now solved. Added Q&A 9 and 10. At this point, there should be no more ambiguous rules until the game is released along with the complete ruleset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
And:

9) Where did you get a copy of the rules?
Is there a PDF available for download somewhere? There's nothing that I can find on the FFG site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Sugiyama
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the rules: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1616065/rules-sheet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Mastrangeli
United States
Downers Grove
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What is considered a character die? Just the dice that come with a character or their upgrade dice too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Selfish
msg tools
BoardGameQuest wrote:
What is considered a character die? Just the dice that come with a character or their upgrade dice too?

The former: character dice are only the ones represented on the character card.
Not sure if any rule or card explicitely references "a character die", but upgrade dice are definitely a different thing, although they are treated basically the same way when the upgrade is attached (see section Activate a Character or Support in the rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Mastrangeli
United States
Downers Grove
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nyrang wrote:
BoardGameQuest wrote:

The former: character dice are only the ones represented on the character card.
Not sure if any rule or card explicitely references "a character die", but upgrade dice are definitely a different thing, although they are treated basically the same way when the upgrade is attached (see section Activate a Character or Support in the rules).

Thanks, that's what I figured, but couldn't find it anywhere in the rules that specifically says that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake W
msg tools
I have a question. If a card states to remove a die that has melee damage, does that include modifiers or no? I say no but wanna make sure since technically it is a melee symbol on there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a lot people forgetting (or not realizing) that the rules sheet that comes in the Starters is the equivalent of a Learn to Play guide. There will be a typical, and I imagine very detailed, Rules Reference published when the game releases. I find it interesting that, since it's the only way to get it, it will essentially be a "living" rule set.

Having said that, I'm pretty curious at to whether or not Poe Dameron's ability (resolve the Special die face from a card in your hand, etc. etc.) works with abilities that say to reroll a die. My guess is no, but it's the only thing I really have a question about so far.

Edit: To answer the above poster, modified and resource damage still counts as a damage side as far as values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hafiz Soubihe
msg tools
Can you resolve a modifier die with the Firepower card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.