United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uber buys self-driving semi truck company

Quote:
A Silicon Valley startup called “Otto” has just been bought by Uber, with the goal of putting a fleet of the self-driving trucks on the nation’s highways in as little as two years, reports CBS News correspondent John Blackstone.

...as mentioned in the other thread on the debates, my hunch is that the 2020 election is going to be dominated by discussing around dealing with the quite-rapid increase in service/transport automation. It looks like it'll be happening a decade or so sooner than expected...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trucking is heavily regulated. I would be surprised to see the DOT move very fast on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think real world issues will slow it down a bit but estimates are 3 million trucking jobs going away really fast when it is ready for prime time. That's a major election issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Trucking is heavily regulated. I would be surprised to see the DOT move very fast on this.

And Amazon's drone delivery system was considered DOA, as well, due to the heavy regulations of the FAA.

Yet that ice appears to be thawing quite quickly, once that much money and influence starts entering the discussion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Truck drivers are one of if not the largest occupation in Canada (over 200k) and this kind of automation will have a pretty big impact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Truck drivers are one of if not the largest occupation in Canada (over 200k) and this kind of automation will have a pretty big impact.

Also in the U.S.

Anyone who's not in robotics is going to have their job threatened in the next 40 years. And even then, what happens when we invent robots that can repair other robots and invent new, better robots?

Minimum Income is not an option, it's a necessity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
...as mentioned in the other thread on the debates, my hunch is that the 2020 election is going to be dominated by discussing around dealing with the quite-rapid increase in service/transport automation. It looks like it'll be happening a decade or so sooner than expected...

Also, what is the government going to do about all these steam-powered looms putting artisan weavers out of work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
leroy43 wrote:

Also in the U.S.

Anyone who's not in robotics is going to have their job threatened in the next 40 years. And even then, what happens when we invent robots that can repair other robots and invent new, better robots?

What happens when the robots can also program the new robots and improve the programming?

That's when RSP gives a shit (since holy shit we have so many computer programmers on BGG) and the robot apocalypse begins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
leroy43 wrote:

Also in the U.S.

What happens when the robots can also program the new robots and improve the programming?

That's when RSP gives a shit (since holy shit we have so many computer programmers on BGG) and the robot apocalypse begins.

What if the year is actually 2200 and we've already invented all that stuff so now we're plugged into a Matrix-like Second Life type of program so we can live out normal experiences because the hardships of actual life have been made trivial by technology, and robots do EVERYTHING now, including space exploration and colonization?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
I think real world issues will slow it down a bit but estimates are 3 million trucking jobs going away really fast when it is ready for prime time. That's a major election issue.

Do you see either side proposing to do something about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Do you see either side proposing to do something about it?

At this point, that would be "proactive", which obviously neither party is going to be doing.

It'll be until after it's a problem before they start taking action.

I'd guess the Democratic party would support the Unions, making a shot at protectionist legislation and hurdles that would attempt to prevent widespread use of the (RE: things like the FAA's initial requirement that a drone only be operated within visual distance of its operator - silly stuff like that).

Paul Ryan's plan to replace many 'social safety net' programs with a single check to the state governments is almost 1/3 of the way to UBI, kinda, so while it's a bad plan on its own...maybe the Republican party might have some people thinking in that direction?

Otherwise, I don't have the foggiest idea what their plan would be. ?More tax cuts for the robot owners to help them replace workers faster so it all trickles down to?...yeah, I got nothing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.