Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Lutz
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the monsters/events random?
Is there some randomness is what you are meeting in the game, or is it a specific set of cards that are only put in the deck for you to go against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each adventure is played through an encounter deck. That encounter deck is made up of a few smaller encounter sets that are meant to work together to tell the story of the adventure. The order in which you encounter things will be random, but you should only be encountering things that make sense within the context of the story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lutz
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toliveischrist77 wrote:
Each adventure is played through an encounter deck. That encounter deck is made up of a few smaller encounter sets that are meant to work together to tell the story of the adventure. The order in which you encounter things will be random, but you should only be encountering things that make sense within the context of the story.

I think I follow. I only played LoTR LCG a little, but if an encounter deck needed orcs, you had an orc set. Now as the game grew I assume you had more orc cards thus adding to the randomness of what was going to be in the encounter deck. Is that essentially what will be happening here then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the set up will be fairly similar to LOTR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
mancora wrote:
I think I follow. I only played LoTR LCG a little, but if an encounter deck needed orcs, you had an orc set. Now as the game grew I assume you had more orc cards thus adding to the randomness of what was going to be in the encounter deck. Is that essentially what will be happening here then?

In LotR, each scenario had one set of scenario-specific cards and a number of encounter sets from the most recent deluxe expansion. The encounter deck's composition did not become more random as the game grew, because each encounter set was fixed at the time of its release.

For example, you didn't just have an "orc set" in the Core; you had a "Dol Goldor Orcs" set. In the Voice of Isengard deluxe expansion, you instead had a "Misty Mountain Orcs" set; likewise, Heirs of Numenor had an "Angmar Orcs" set. When an adventure from the first cycle (Shadows of Mirkwood) required orcs, it explicitly called for the Dol Goldor Orcs set.

Arkham looks to have a similar setup, though the sets themselves are smaller and more numerous. I expect that the Core scenarios will be strictly comprised of various combinations of Core sets, which will remain static for the game's lifetime. Likewise, Dunwich Legacy will have a number of sets that will be reused throughout its respective campaign; none of its scenarios will reference the Core sets. Curse of the Rougarou will contain a single encounter set that features every card in the Mythos deck, as it is not tied to any campaign (and that's how LotR did its PODs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lutz
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So once you finish a campaign the cards for that set will probably be useless, as in, no longer needed for other campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign cards are used exclusively in that cycle, which is a good thing. The player cards can be used in any campaign. It means you don't need to buy all the cycles before in order to play any individual cycle. You could pick and choose cycles in which you are interested. That is the way LOTR worked and it seems AH will work the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
mancora wrote:
So once you finish a campaign the cards for that set will probably be useless, as in, no longer needed for other campaigns.

At least until you want to replay it, yes (though each pack also has player cards that you can use whenever you want). It's meant to keep the themes and mechanics of each cycle focused.

For example, the Voice of Isengard expansion features sets of Dunland cards that encourage you to keep your hand size low (either by getting more dangerous as your hand increases or by triggering negative effects whenever you draw a card). They're meant to go with the various Dunland-themed quests in the Ring-Maker cycle, which feature similar effects in their scenario-specific cards.

You also fight Dunland enemies at Helm's Deep in the Treason of Saruman saga expansion. The Helm's Deep quest, however, has its own mechanical twist involving you desperately holding out against hordes of enemies. If you had the Voice of Isengard Dunland cards show up in the saga expansion, it would dilute both themes: The VoI cards don't have their draw-punishing tricks supported by the rest of the deck, and the quest itself doesn't get to do its siege-related tricks as often.

It would also mean that someone who only bought the saga expansions would be able to do the battle at Helm's Deep as it was originally designed, while someone with Voice of Isengard would also need to eschew any card-drawing tricks in case the deluxe Dunland enemies start showing up. The two players would have entirely different experiences with the same quest, and that's something the devs want to avoid.

The LotR encounter sets are more than just themed groupings of enemies: They are designed to complement each other and the quests of their respective cycles. The game designers make very deliberate choices when they develop the encounter decks; every card has its purpose. I think that makes the game stronger as a whole, giving each scenario its own feel. Now, sometimes it goes too far, resulting in quests that are so focused you practically design a separate deck just to deal with it, but Arkham is explicitly avoiding those extremes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lutz
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks, thats a better understanding for me. I guess i just worry about how much enjoyment will I get out of a chapter pack or expansion that I will probably only play once, maybe twice, while an LCG like Agot gives me a ton of replay value. Dont get me wrong this game looks amazing, but i felt that LoTR LCG was missing a lot of theme and didnt make sense to me so I guess i am a little gun shy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Svensson
Sweden
Helsingborg
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideally, the numerous encounter sets could be made to create variety in the scenarios. Let's say you are investigating a house with a disturbance, but what disturbance that would be could be randomly selected out of a number of encounter sets. It could be ghouls, zombies, rat people, or what ever, and that would make for a nice change. Likewise, some sets could include themed treachery cards, f.x. one set for a crazed mage having started the whole thing, one for a haunting, another for cultist activity, and so forth. There could be general encounter sets too.

The adventure itself could not change of course, it would follow it's set course, but with this kind of randomness it would make for a high replayability. One could even visualize 'generic' quests that could easily consist of a randomly generated content and goal.

I guess I will have to try my hand at such a system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.