Siege of the Citadel» Forums » General

Subject: Rules Up Yet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the rules up anywhere, yet? Asked on Twitter and was told probably last week, but I think Chris has been away so they ma have been delayed - unless I've missed them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haven't seen them anywhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Martinez
msg tools
Mad-Halfling wrote:
Are the rules up anywhere, yet? Asked on Twitter and was told probably last week, but I think Chris has been away so they ma have been delayed - unless I've missed them?

First Play Through, we're waiting for the second play through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8_zi4a-oTg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Dupuis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Second Playthrough now available
Second playthrough now available with update 43:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/274643038/siege-of-the-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same video with better quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itDiy4bLaTM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guinch Nudrevil
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone compare it with the older version of the game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pattison
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My overall impression of the first 2 play through videos is, the development team has allot of work ahead of them. The original version has some great ideas, but a lot of mechanics that will most certainly need updating. These first two videos don't show many updates yet. The fact that they are still tying to decide how much armor a Necromutant should have, shows how far they have to go. The combat system in the original game had its benefits and it's draw backs. One thing I am happy to see is that they have identified the ranking system as something that needs to be overhauled. They say in the video the first rank up will now give 1 red dice 2 white. This is exactly the type of change that needs to be done.

I'm not a big fan of the changes they have made to the DT and Event cards. In the original game, these cards where very powerful, but could be quite swingy, random, and even seem a little unfair. (Anyone remember the Ezogoule attacks card.) To me this was always part of the fun and made the game exciting to play, at the expense of some balance. The cards they are playing with in the videos seem quite watered down and lame to me. Also I don't like the fact they took away the extra actions. But modern gamers are much more attuned to care about balance and fairness, the original was never really concerned with that, so clearly some changes will have to be made.

I'm a little taken aback by the fact that the these videos only show 3 players total. The original game was always best with 5 players, and was heavily focused on campaign play. I'm not sure how they will balance the missions very well, if there will be the option to play with variable number of players. It's clear from these videos that the DL player is taking it easy on the DT's. This is probably because they are still testing the system, but the original game (at least this the people I play with) is very cutthroat, and competitive. That is a part of this game that really makes it unique when compared to other dungeon crawl games. I hope with the addition of FF, they will not just turn this game into a Scifi Descent clone.

Also mission design is critical to this game. The original system is quite simple and plays fast when compared to other games of this type. However having a simple system can lead to less interesting tactical decisions, so the mission design needs to interesting and exciting. I liked most the original 10 missions, some are better then others. I'm a little worried about just how many missions the team will have to design in one year. I personally would rather see 15 or 20 well done and play tested missions, then 30 or 40 less interesting ones. The missions in these videos are lame. I know they will get better.

All that being said I am backing that project and wish the developers all the best at updating this classic game. It seems like they have a long way to go, but they still have a year to publish. I'm looking forward to seeing some more impressive changes as the playtesting continues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.