Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Byrd
United States
Box Elder
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have invited some friends over to play Galactic Empires with a few of the rules modified (listed below). I am hoping to get a couple of games in while I test the modifications. The possible factions that will be played are as follows:

Corperate
Mechad
Argonian
Space Dragons
Krebiz
Indirigan
J'xar

Rules Modifications

All (S)hips, (D)ragons and (B)ases have x3 hull points. For example: An S7 requires 21 damage to destroy.

All Phasers and Physical Damage do one half damage to the hull of ships/bases/dragons. They still do full damage to shields.

Phasers cannot damage the sector HQ.

Terrain cannot be damaged by Heavy Weapons. Only Hazards, Monsters, Luck, and Occurrence can damage terrain.

All weapons fire and dragon attacks must be distributed before any damage is dealt.

“E9 Adamantine Hull” is banned

“T8 Dragon Lair” and “T9 Dragon Lair” can no longer fully heal a dragon each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, interesting ideas. might make for a long slogfest though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Byrd
United States
Box Elder
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Games we had played before had it so that people would play ships and I would just blow them up with 3 or 4 S7-S9's that I had on the field. They never got to actually shoot back. Nobody likes to play a game where you sit there and get stomped on without getting to use the cards you play for something other than a meat shield for your Sector HQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that issue has come up a lot in games I've played. But I think this solution creates a new problem. Now the guy on the losing end has little recourse for counter attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Byrd
United States
Box Elder
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How so? If you can give me an example I can look to correct this issue prior to the games happening. In addition I suspect no one player will get too powerful as there will be 4 other players who could quickly gang up on a single superpower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if player A has:

then player B plays:

Well, the ship lives thanks to the modified rules, BUT.... what's it gonna accomplish other than taking a few hits for the sector HQ? It doesn't have the firepower to kill the Mechad Juggernaut... ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Byrd
United States
Box Elder
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But there are also 5 total players. So Player A might have the juggernaut. And player B has that small ship. But Player C might have an S8 Argonian Battleship, and Player D has a Corperate Command Cruiser, and player E has a Nebula Dragon. Combined they will put a sizable dent in the juggernaut if they see it as a sizable threat. The rules are modified with the intent that there are more than just Player A and B. in addition player B might be able to lay down a couple of ships with combined firepower enough to put a dent in the juggernaut. The point is that at least player B gets to shoot back where as before Player A would wipe the Star Cruiser off the board and proceed to do an additional 4 damage to the sector HQ on a single turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like I said, playtesting is needed, but it seems to me as if the main effect would be to make ship combat long and drawn out, especially if one or more fleets uses defensive abilities regularly.

Perhaps using:

and recycling with:

Also this would make it REALLY annoying to get rid of cards like:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Byrd
United States
Box Elder
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seems like someone could take advantage of ships and bases living longer, but at the same time the resource drain wont be as much a problem since terrain cant be blown up by heavy weapons. And with each player starting with 5 command points (5 players game) i hardly think 1 command point drain is going to make or break a player especially when I actually own 13 admiral cards.

I also don't own very many recycling cards like that. The most recycling I have is construction crew, Shipyard, Lost fleet and distress beacon. I don't own any Time Gates either. Card recycling isn't a big issue in our games. Most recently I built a tufor deck which reuses mine cards but has no way to retrieve them from the discard pile. The deck is newly made as of yesterday and I have not had time (or the opponent) to play test it. I think we will see how this goes on Saturday but in a 1v1 I think a defensive player could beat out anyone else. If anything it would shift the meta considerably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, worst that could happen is having people decide they hate those house rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Byrd
United States
Box Elder
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well all the decks that are being played belong to me. Currently they hate the fact that I just blow up all their stuff as soon as my turn rolls around which is why we are putting these rules into effect. The people I play with didn't even know this card game existed till I dusted it off and its a little late to start collecting now. I know I am trying to fill out my collection and having a hard time finding all the required cards. I got lucky a few months ago and got the S10 Tufor Flagshipp on ebay for $0.99 with free shipping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Byrd
United States
Box Elder
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just talked to all the players. I have permission to take pictures and note during the game in order to set up a game report here. Obviously I will be referring to the other players by their choice of screen name. I know Indirigans and Space Dragons will be played and I will be playing Tufor so the remaining 2 will be up to the other 2 players when they arrive. Going to take as many pictures as I can though so that the report will hopefully be very thorough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, well let me know how it works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Byrd
United States
Box Elder
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I forgot to take pictures... But long story short ships had too much durability. 5 player game that went from 6 PM to 1 AM and there was still nobody actually destroyed. 2 Players had some damage on their HQ but they were holding on fairly well. 3x hull points is just too much. I also need a better way for people to track their resources cause that's what took most of the time up. By the time we ended it at 1 AM I had less than half my deck left (out of 100 card deck). So the modified rules need to be modified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered using poker chips for resources? Granted, there's several resources, but the more esoteric resources you could probably do without. What you'd need most are economy, supply, energy, and ammo. Maybe research, repair, and healing. Command... is a rather static quantity. For most purposes it's not a real resource.... most. The only points left are the various aspects of ships, but those aren't resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Byrd
United States
Box Elder
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We are going to laminate some note cards with numbers on them that you can put markers on to keep track of resources generated. Repair and command points are usually pretty easy so we don't normally worry about them. Especially in a 5 person game where each player starts with 5 command points. Nobody reached command limit last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone should try out a Time Knight deck if you need help reaching command limit. Yeah remember how I said "most" well... this is the most useful exception.

Yes it's part of Comedy Club. Some of those were useful outside the comedy factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Byrd
United States
Box Elder
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I haven't built a Time Knight deck or one of the Psy decks because they skip defenses as they damage a different thing. The way I read the rules is that they don't work the same way. They attack your opponents Psy HQ... I thought you needed a Psy to defend your Psy HQ. Same for the time cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Um.. Psy are very different from Time Knights. Time Knights use an HQ the same as regular. see: http://galacticempires.no-ip.org/GE/GErulesv21.html#TIMEKNIG... The psi-network rule only actually applies if you're playing Visonic or Psycanti. No other use of psi cares about it... not that Time Knights have Psy powers by default.

You don't really need to worry about the Time Origin rules unless you have two or more players using Time stuff. Or maybe if you use cards that can retrieve things from the Time Origin. Normally things just go there and stay there. http://galacticempires.no-ip.org/GE/GErulesv21.html#TimeGate...

The coolest thing with Time Knights is that they're crew which can damage ships. Also they're considered a minor empire, so you can make a deck that's primarily something else... like Dragons or Bolaar... or pretty much anything. Then add Time Knights. Even if you do play them as an Empire you can use minor empire ships. The same is also true of Tranoans.

NOTE: a Time Knight in the Time Origin cannot attack targets outside the Time Origin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Byrd
United States
Box Elder
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok so Time Knights basically follow the same rules but can be retrieved from the time zone by other cards. Psy is something I will have to stay away from. I feel like not being able to defend yourself cause you dont have any psy cards would cause a bit of an uproar. I have plenty of Time Knights and Tranoan ships to stick them in a deck of their own. Can I put Time Knights and Tranoans in the same deck? I thought as per the story they were enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a rule that says Tranoan ships have to kill Time Knights... Opposing that is.... That's it though. We don't really know WHY they have a conflict, just that they sometimes fight. Actually the Tranoan fighter says it can move between the Time Origin and the Fleet, thus making it perfect for retrieving knights.

There's also the Time ships, but they're not as useful since they implode after one turn. At least they have no resource cost.

The Psy network rule isn't as bad as you think... but it's not good either. Ships/bases can protect the Psy network if there is a Psy on board. Also... if it's Mechad vs Visonic, the Mechad have an HQ, and the Visonic have a Psy Network. One or the other, not both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Byrd
United States
Box Elder
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think I have a couple of Tranoan Fighters. Now I just need to figure out what sleeve color I want for the Time Deck as all my decks have sleeves on them. I already have Black, Blue, Turquoise, Purple, Brown and Copper...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Byrd
United States
Box Elder
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What kind of hazards can kill "M3 Scandig Blob"? All the hazards I have seen say they do damage to a ship base or terrain. I haven't found any hazard cards that damage monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure where it's found in the rules, but monsters vulnerable to hazard damage take damage from any hazard that can damage ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Byrd
United States
Box Elder
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I searched the entire rule book for the Keyword of Monster and hazard and nowhere in the rule book was it stated that a hazard that can damage ships also damages monsters. I think the hazards that can damage it have to say it targets a unit. These hazards do exist but there are very few of them and they are usually very conditional such as "H6 Star Spindle"

Never mind. I found it in the FAQ's that they released in their Galactic Fire magazines. Any hazard that causes damage may cause damage to a scandig blob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.