Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after reading all the threads I have a question ..

Just got into this game unfortunately and I already have been given the opinion of someone who seems very knowledgeable of this game now i want to go to the masses with the question ...

I only have the core set. Cant seem to find the big box expansions anyplace for a reasonable price.

If you were to purchase only one or two of the cycle packs which ones would it be --- keeping in mind the the first two cycles are hard to come by so that really only leaves the last four ...

I do not mind spending money on this game if I enjoy it but first I have to get my friends hooked so need and I want to have enough variety so I am willing to buy one or two complete cycles but I want some input ...

thanks in advance !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite cycle is the last one - Eternal War if I remember correctly. It introduces the Raider and Ambush mechanics to the game. In my opinion, these really added a lot to the fun of the game. You can take a look at deckbox.org to look at individual battlepacks for that cycle and see which ones have the cards that look the most fun and flavorful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally i would say to pick one of the last two cycles and go with that.

Its only going to get harder to find those initial sets now that FFG is losing the warhammer license. I had to discourage anyone from playing the game (i'm still playing it regularly) But really think hard if you want to get into it to where you'll have to spend enough to get Assault on Ulthuan and three of each skavenblight threat.

I play the game with two other close friends and we all loved it so much that each of us bought 1 of everything.

Legends, Cataclysm, and hidden kingdoms would be good choices as well (in that order) Especially cataclysm because that expands the game to four players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Justin's recommendation of Cataclysm multiplayer expansion. Love, love, love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends.

Assault on Ulthuan (going to be hard to find but)

Don't really agree with the Catyclsm, and without the earlier Skaven/lizard man/undead/wood elves sets, Hidden Kingdoms isn't going to be very useful. I would say the later sets with ambush and raider are nice, but lots are wood elves, so neutral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMagus wrote:
...and three of each skavenblight threat.

What was the auto-include from Skavenblight? I mean, Tooth and Claw was x3 if you were running Skaven, but that's not an issue here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skavenblight has a ton of good cards, but not sure what specifically they were referring to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Skavenblight has a ton of good cards, but not sure what specifically they were referring to.
Yeah, that's the part that's confusing me. It's a very good pack, but not to the point of, "well you can't play if you don't have this specific release." Unlike, say, Assault on Ulthuan, where you'll have a much harder time getting enough elves together, and won't have boards for them even if you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the poster meant the Corruption Cycle, not just the ST pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
I think the poster meant the Corruption Cycle, not just the ST pack.

You are correct. Sorry about that. It's been a couple years since I've looked at the cycle names.

I just have a hard time seeing this game being fun for people who want to play as a group with only one set. A problem that is only made worse by not having all of the easily available for purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.