Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having trouble finding it after looking around at stores. I see its really expensive on amazon!

I don't see any other posts about availability.

It seems it was re-printed and named differently? Is Forgotten King the newer base version of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is. It was replaced by Super Dungeon Explore - Forgotten King. Rules and cards were changed and updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davi Rosa
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
From the Dungeons and Dragons 80's cartoon. If only it was remade...
mbmbmbmbmb
It is OOP, but that is because there is a newer version coming. It is going to be cheaper because there will be fewer miniatures, but there will be new sculpts for the heroes and monsters. And best of all, new, better rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gorondil wrote:
It is OOP, but that is because there is a newer version coming. It is going to be cheaper because there will be fewer miniatures, but there will be new sculpts for the heroes and monsters. And best of all, new, better rules.

are you referring to forgotten king? or an even newer version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The resculpted SDE 2.0 with new rules, cards, tiles, everything, will be out next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
The resculpted SDE 2.0 with new rules, cards, tiles, everything, will be out next year.

Wow, this is a mess. I see Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King – Upgrade Deck (2015) as well. I'm just now finding out about this game and will be trying it soon (explore version)

If I buy the FK is the upgrade deck necessary? Better to just wait for SDE newer version next year? Or for that matter picking up the 1ED for cheap?

Thanks a lot!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
alandric wrote:
bigblock75 wrote:

Wow, this is a mess. I see Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King – Upgrade Deck (2015) as well. I'm just now finding out about this game and will be trying it soon (explore version)

If I buy the FK is the upgrade deck necessary? Better to just wait for SDE newer version next year? Or for that matter picking up the 1ED for cheap?

Thanks a lot!!

I believe the upgrade deck wont be changing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nevermind. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1574402/sde-fk-sde-20

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
bigblock75 wrote:

The Upgrade deck upgrades SDE 1 to SDE:Forgotten King's version of the rules and should also work in SDE 2.

Basically you only need it if you have the SDE 1 Core set or the early expansions (Which should be well out of print).

These were IIRC
Super Dungeon Explore 1st Edition
Caverns of Roxor
Rocktop Gang
Fireflow Denizens
Von Drakk Manor
The six Relic Knights crossover models
Nyan-Nyan
Captain R
Herald of Vulcanis
Succubus Vandella
Kaelly the Netherstrider
King Starfire

Note that for example the version of Nyan-Nyan on Ninja Divisions website comes with the new versions of her cards. As does Captain R, Herald of Vulcanis, Succubus Vandella and Kaelly the Netherstrider.

You can tell the new versions for those characters since they come with both a Hero card and two miniboss cards. Forgotten King and SDE 2 products have two cards for each miniboss, one for Co-op and one for verses play. 1st edition also didn't have the both Hero and villian ccards for each of these IIRC.

Von Drakk Manor [Has 6 Rattlebones and 6 Skullbats in it] has been replaced by Von Drakk Manor Level Box [has 2 Miserable Toads and 4 Skullbats] which is for Forgotten King. The Rattlebones are now in Dungeon tiles:Von Drakk:Ghost House (Which has 12 of them)

All Forgotten King compatible products will work with the SDE 2 core box without anything else. And the current statement is all SDE 2 products will be playable using the Forgotten King version of the rules.

Since SDE 2 has a completely different set of Heroes and Monsters and tiles from Forgotten King there will be little duplication if you get both in the long run. There is currently nothing in SDE2 other than the rulebook you'd need to upgrade Forgotten King to Second edition (And that will be available for free download).

Basically if you are interested in Super Dungeon Explore, the place to start currently is Forgotten King.
Especially since it has figures for creeps, treasure chests, boo booty, which are all counters instead in the SDE2 box (If creeps are still in SDE 2) and has pets which SDE2 will be getting as a separate expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the detailed clarification. I am in a different boat: I backed SDE:FK but have never opened it. When I read about upgrades, a newer version, errata etc. the confusion was perfect. Maybe I can manage to break the game open after you have helped me with these two questions:

1. Which is currently the best rule book to start with

2. Will SDE 2.0 be a different game play or just upgraded rules from SDE:FK. Because if SDE 2.0 rules are different but maybe better/streamlined, I might wait for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SDE 1 (Super dungeon explorer the boxest) is out of print. This box contained lava set tiles and the kolbold warrens and Dragon egg clutch figures. In the current line up the tiles and figure sets are refered to as Dragon back peaks.

SDE:FK (forgotten king) boxset replaced the above and became the default entry point boxset, It however had a different ruleset (2.0) a different set of models and tiles call Fey woods.

So as not to upset the existing fan base the publisher (sodapop) released a card upgrade deck for all the previously published add on model content to enable you to use the figures published under sde 1 ruleset with SDE:FK , It doesnt upgrade the sde 1 boxset to allow you to play 2.0 ruleset as it is missing various mechanics it ONLY allows you to use the minatures in a sde:fk game.

Currently to have a complete game with 2.0 rules you have to purchase sde:fk

The current KS campaign is for Legends which is an rpg addon rules book set to SDE 2.0

However Sodapop are using this campaign to also release a new new cheaper entry point to the game - a boxset called sde: Dragon back peaks. This contains updated lava tiles and the resculpted kobold warrens and Dragon clutch figures from above.

Sodapop have insisted that whatever rules changes are made the Cards that come with each figure will remain the same as the ones supplied in either sde:kf and or the upgrade deck, so you if you own either of these products you will not have to purchase a new card deck to play the new ruleset.

There will however be alternative card decks for new treasures, loot some monster sets ie ice kobolds, egg clutch drakes but these use the existing figures.

If there will be new alternative explore deck to match the one from sde:fk is currently unknown as it is one mechanic that may be moved into the legends ruleset under the current beta ruleset.

There are currently 2.0 cards for all the previously published 1.0 figures. However the King Starfire figure is OOP and some are unavailable until the KS ships.

Of the two larger SDE 1 box sets Von Drak and Caverns of Roxor , Drak has been updated and released with SDE:FK rules 2.0 cards. Roxor with 2.0 cards is yet to be released. So to use Roxor you would need the upgrade deck.

All the tilesets , figures etc released after sde:fk have 2.0 ruleset cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davi Rosa
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
From the Dungeons and Dragons 80's cartoon. If only it was remade...
mbmbmbmbmb
snake2shake wrote:
Thanks for the detailed clarification. I am in a different boat: I backed SDE:FK but have never opened it. When I read about upgrades, a newer version, errata etc. the confusion was perfect. Maybe I can manage to break the game open after you have helped me with these two questions:

1. Which is currently the best rule book to start with

2. Will SDE 2.0 be a different game play or just upgraded rules from SDE:FK. Because if SDE 2.0 rules are different but maybe better/streamlined, I might wait for that.

The ruleset coming from the Beta is the best one so far and it is pretty much done now, only fine tuning going on - I would wait for that one. FK made my group give up on the game, so frustrating it was.
Don't worry, all the cards you have from KF/upgrade deck will be used in the new version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
So the rule set coming in the next release is a refinement of 2.0 (2.5?). Or is it 3.0? Would I well off to wait til it's release to dive in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so, seeing the opportunity to get SDE1 for cheap. All this mention of rules etc... Is SDE1 a broken game or something? the rules are written poorly? What's wrong with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought they pretty much had their stock clearence sales when fk was released.

As for the rules well that depends everything and nothing. Most of the complaints were about having to do book keeping whilst playing . Most of the players treasure\loot spawn and the dms 'mana' to spawn monsters were kept track of by advancing a tokens on a track which a lot of players didnt like and kept forgetting to do.

Also the game time are long like really long 3 to eight hours and could have a lot of player down time due to the other complaint that basically in the last round of player \dm movement the dm got to move every figure that hadn't already moved. Sometimes this could take quite a while.

Forgotten king rules 2.0 removed this book keeeping and shortend the game time down to around 3 hours but this seems to be still too long for most players as the most popluar game time demand seems to be aound 1 1/2 to 2 hours in duration. However people say by removing the 'timer' mechanism of the tracking system the game lost forward momentum and enabled the players to hang back and loot farm themselves silly. Basically the gamer could be won or lost by the outcome of the first tile. Loot starved heroes would struggle to get by and get crushed or gear themselves silly and steam role the dm.

The current beta rules add back a timing mechanism but without the 'fiddly' house keeping the mighty monster chart advances at the end of each round and states how many points of monsters the dm can spawn\move that turn Monsters have various point values and some times may be free to move regardless of points.

The chart is also to ensure the players can't hang back to loot farm too much as the monsters 'level' up in abilities also as it advances. This attempts to address the game duration etc.

Currently certain monster combos\tile sets can be vastly imblanced favoring either the Dm or The players this is is being addressed by trying to set the center balance around the material you will find in the starter core game box set and noting in the rules that certain combinations exist eg Fae woods tile 4 - twisty maze like passages will make the game harder for heroes and vast open rooms like one of the Von Drak set tiles will favour the players .

This is so both the players and the dm have the option of using this pre existing material if they so chose and can determine a difficulty level to suit their desire.

Arcade mode (co-op no DM) is consider a seperate ruleset under FK rules 2.0 and the intention is to unify both these rule sets with the 'classic' (dm mode) rules forming the core of the basic rules and the co-op mode then being an extension on top of them. So players basically learn one ruleset instead of two.

A PVP table top minature skirmish battle games ruleset was issued with sde:fk but this is being revised also with sodaop rumoured to be starting to organise tourament play. I can't say much about this as I never played it.

Pets and creeps , creeps where move like 'nusiance' monsters the dm could use to haress the players example squirrels in your pants lose 1 defense dice. Pets had certain attributes and abilities to help their owners they were added mainly because the players asked for them. These are now being removed into a rule book of their own that is optional and will sit on top of the core rules.

Legends is a ruleset book that expands the core game in to a campaign rpg if players so wish.

The only reason for buying an SDE 1 boxset if you can find one cheap is if you want the models as the figure sets contained are being reisuused in the new starter ewntry box set mentioned in the core set but they have been resculpted. so have the tile sets in the box. The sde 1 tiles are larger in size than the sde:fk ones and lacking various terrain markes\effects and are considerd obsolete.

It should be noted whilst some conent cards may be errated it has been stated all the new cards will be backwards compatible with sde:fk so you will not need to rebuy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Will be waiting for the new SDE then for sure. Thank you for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the clarification, geek gold rewarded. Here is what I will do:

1. keep my SDE:FK sealed
2. don't bother looking up PVP or Legends (RPG)
3. wait for the revised rules that have *one* base for Arcade and Classic mode.

I am mostly a euro gamer, I have joined the SDE ride too early, this is my first dungeon crawler type of game. I should have started with Mice and Mystics However, with the revised rules and shorter play time, my group should be ready to finally play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, SDE:FK may well be placed in some clearence sales when the KS stuff hits retail but it is still supposed tobe considered the deluxe core set for entry in the game (4+ players ). Whilst the 'Dragon back peaks' box set is intended as a cheaper starting entry point core box (3 players )

For example you get boo booties models (booby trap monsters drawn from the loot card deck) in sde:fk but only cardboard tokens for them in dragon peaks. you still do get the heroe and monster models models eg the kobolds , rex the orge and starfire the dragon end boss though.

The game mechanic card decks eg loot , treasure etc are new in dragon bpeaks but are considered alternative decks rather than replacement, Sodapop have indicated you can just mix them all together between the 2 box sets if you so wish.

Sodapop have stated the new core game rulesets (notlegends) will be freely available for download so people with sde:fk sets will be able to play the new rules.

The current beta rules are 1.6 and it has been said on the forums that sodapop are happy that these are more or less the outline of the final rules subject to one or two more itterations to smooth of rough edges or balance edge cases.

Arcade mode will then be revised once the core game rules are finalised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
Pets and creeps , creeps where move like 'nusiance' monsters the dm could use to haress the players example squirrels in your pants lose 1 defense dice. Pets had certain attributes and abilities to help their owners they were added mainly because the players asked for them. These are now being removed into a rule book of their own that is optional and will sit on top of the core rules.

Hmm. Will we get new cards for some monsters, then? Like Goro, that was very good with his creeps.

Too bad the lava tiles were removed! :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is only one card that is being completely replaced so far - it's a male hero card (may be glimmerdusk ranger but dont quote me on that).

The lava cards arent being phased out completely , Four tiles are included in the Dragon Back Peaks entry point core box due be released.
Also there is to be a seperate pack of six double sided Lava\Caverns of Roxxor tiles released for retail.

I think this was supposed to have been November but is currently running late.

"Pre-order up on Miniature Market have put 6 SDE products. Of course, take it with a grain of salt and I suggest not to pre-order (as their seems to be always a delay on when items actually are received by retail stores)

Super Dungeon Explore: Dragonback Peaks Tile Pack (Preorder) $23.99
Super Dungeon Explore: Frostbyte Reach Tile Pack (Preorder) $23.99
Super Dungeon Explore: Halls of the Lich King Level Box (Preorder) $47.99
Super Dungeon Explore: Hoarfang Expansion (Preorder) $27.99
Super Dungeon Explore: Iron Golem Expansion (Preorder) $27.99
Super Dungeon Explore: Tusk Raider Expansion (Preorder) $10.39"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Entertaingly, half of Miniature Market's SDE stock is either Preorder or Clearance. Is there a firm (or-even semi-firm) date for the new, updated, playtested SDE core set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well it looks like the stance on cards has changed slightly *- The ones in the new cheaper core entry point box set - sderagonback peak boxset 2.0 - ruleset stardate unknown are being tweked and henbce will ikely be different from the FK. ones.

Beta 1.7 rulesets is oiut but I havent read them yet so I don't know what changed have been made beyond starfire got a new artifact car and soem some new 'game' modes were introduced eg rescue the princes etc.

Futher tweaking of the might monster chart etc.

Also an update saying the shipping is going to be split into waves So if you ordered a completionist pledge you will get some lstuff (box set ) wave 1 asap and the rest in wave 2 , no additional shipping will be charged.

* I was wrong it was Hexcast whos card was latered prior to htis beta iteration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.