Subject: Government assault plus eradicate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Manchester
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Got to a tricky point in a solo game,

Government will not train,
no taliban on LOC so no patrol (Kabul clear)
So UNLESS it can remove a base or at least two guerrillas with "Assault per 8.6.5 (with eradicate)" it will sweep.

There are no active guerrillas BUT there ARE two Warlord bases which could be eradicated and 8.6.5 seems pretty clear, if it can remove a base with assault "with any eradication" it will assault in "up to", so that includes zero, 3 spaces.

So does it assault in no spaces but eradicate? or does it pay for an assault but not remove any pieces and eradicate? Or simply sweep?

I've a feeling the Govt has to get the qualification through Assault, that eradicate can't be used if the assault "box" yields nothing so the government sweeps.

Is that correct? (the Govt has plenty of resources so won't pass)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you are required to execute an Operation in at least 1 space in order to execute a Special Activity. Since there are no eligible Assault spaces, the bot cannot Eradicate. They will Pass. ("IF NONE: If no such Assault possible, Pass.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Manchester
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I think, sadly for them, good for me, (as I'm playing the Taliban and the government are rising fast) that you are correct mate.

anyone think otherwise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Manchester
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
There again, if it obviously cannot assault (no active guerrillas) then it cannot remove a base or guerrillas per the stipulation in Sweep, and this is clear at the time the sweep consideration is made so logically (since it asks the question before it gets to the assault box) it sweeps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
The_BrentM wrote:
There again, if it obviously cannot assault (no active guerrillas) then it cannot remove a base or guerrillas per the stipulation in Sweep, and this is clear at the time the sweep consideration is made so logically (since it asks the question before it gets to the assault box) it sweeps?

I see where you're going. I looked at the rulebook for the decision diamond for this:
Quote:
If neither Training nor Patrol conditions (8.6.2-.3) are met and Assault per 8.6.5 (with Eradicate) would remove neither a Base nor at least 2 Guerrillas, Sweep...

So I'd assume that you are correct and would Sweep, but I honestly defer to Oerjan (whom I'm surprised hasn't stuck his head in here by now.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As I've often remarked, I was hardly involved with the ADP bots at all since I was fully occupied with Cuba Libre at the time. My only real contribution to ADP was a couple tweaks to the Warlord bot. Volko is the go-to guy for the original ADP bots

That said:
If you look at the ADP GovBot Assault instruction in 8.6.5, you'll note that it will only select spaces with Active enemies to Assault in (even though 3.2.4 allows Govt to Assault in spaces where the Assault Op can't remove anything).

If no Assault space is selected, then no Assault Operation is executed - which means that the bot can't Eradicate either, since you can't do an SA without an Operation to accompany it. This would make GovBot Pass instead.

Therefore, in order to get the Assault+Eradicate combo to remove a Base, GovBot's Assault by itself (i.e., without the Eradicate) must be able to remove at least 1 Guerrilla so the bot executes the Assault Op needed to allow the Eradicate SA to remove Bases...

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Manchester
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sorry Oerjan I can't say I agree. It seems to me it sweeps per 8.6.4., because the sweep decision is ALSO made via interpreting 8.6.5. Since it cannot remove the required units/bases via 8.6.5 the answer in the diamond (and the rules) is NO so it will sweep. The only way it will pass is if you got to "Assault" without going through the decision diamond and I didn't.
That might not have been clear, but your logic has helped me figure it out as it usually does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're not disagreeing with me, Brent; merely talking about a different part of the flowchart.

You are talking about the decision diamond selecting between the Sweep and Assault boxes; I'm talking about the Assault box itself and why it can't remove the pieces required to make the decision diamond answer "yes".

Regards,
Oerjan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Manchester
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yep, that's what the thread is about, whether it sweeps. Which is ultimately about 8.6.5. I had assumed that was the prevailing undercurrent of the analysis, hence I thought we were disagreeing about a "pass" result on that outcome. I now see you were considering the section 8.6.5 in isolation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.