Subject: Pillars of the Earth: 1st and 2nd games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Shire
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
First game: Four players. Two new. Two with a few games under their belt. We stayed pretty much even until the last two turns. Then I found out why the more experienced players were saving all that metal . . . . To be fair, they mentioned it to me while explaining the game but there was so much other data coming in, I missed the significance. I got about five points for 3-4 turns in a row but just didn't get my economic engine cranking. I lost by about 15-20 pts.

Second game: Next week. Four players. Two with one game experience. Two new. I grabbed the wood -> gold craftsman and started hording metal. Half way through the game I felt guilty for some reason and suggested to my opponents that they might want to colude against me to stop me from using my wood -> gold craftsman every turn by denying me wood. I used him fully every turn but the last (which is just fine by me). Up until the last turn we were all within one point of each other. I scored 20 VP the last round and won by about 8-10. Two of the players picked a resource and went heavy on it (wood and gravel (sand?)).

I had the architect and 1 sand = 1VP 3-use potter for most of the game and used the potter fully every turn. I ended up going to the market a lot. Maybe too much. Seemed like I always had something that needed doing pretty badly there. I often got the 2-2 sand resource card and bought a third sand at the market. Or I would end up with the 4 wood card and sell the two I didn't convert to gold with my craftsman.

Having the wood-gold craftsman obviously takes a lot of the financial strain off so you don't have to worry so much about committing workers to the mill or a master builder to the royal court to avoid taxes (although I ended up there often anyway to get metal).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Broadhead
United States
Pueblo
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So with that type of endgame do you still like it? People really need to understand those last two rounds. Even when I fianlly did, and prepared my masons were not picked and I was screwed. Cool game but there is some frustration on those last 2 rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the wood to gold craftsman is a bit ridiculous. he removes the agongy of money from teh game and there is only one of him.

Perhaps he is a misprint

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wood to gold craftman isn't strong. He gives you 2 gold per turn, compared with the market prices. His main advantage is that he usually saves you a trip to the market (sometimes none or two), for the cost of one craftsmen slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.