Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Came across this anecdote while reading Queen Victoria's Little Wars by Byron Farwell, a fine military history book I could strongly recommend...

Bobbie was a small mixed-breed dog that became the mascot of the 66th Regiment of Foot and accompanied the unit to Afghanistan during the Age of Imperialism. Bobbie was on the battlefield when the regiment was cut to pieces during the disaster at Maiwand in 1880. The dog was wounded during the struggle. Separated from the surviving soldiers and alone, Bobbie made a journey of 50 miles to rejoin the army at Kandahar.

Queen Victoria personally presented Bobbie with the Afghan campaign medal when dog's owner Sergeant Kelly and other veterans of the battle were decorated after they returned to Britain.

Bobbie was killed in a traffic accident but the dog was stuffed and mounted as a permanent memorial. Bobbie is on display at a military museum in Britain, proudly wearing a campaign medal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Pete! That was fascinating. Had no idea. Showed it to my son here and he was pretty interested as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing story. Tragic, that after surviving the Afghan campaign, he dies in a traffic accident.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DocStryder wrote:
Tragic, that after surviving the Afghan campaign, he dies in a traffic accident.

What makes it even more tragic is that this was years before automobiles were being produced; this was An Infamous Traffic accident, meaning Bobbie died of an opium overdose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
designer
badge
"What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?"
mbmbmbmbmb
A moving tribute to a brave soldier. I only hope that someday, we can show our respect to our fallen human heroes by also stuffing and mounting them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
A moving tribute to a brave soldier. I only hope that someday, we can show our respect to our fallen human heroes by also stuffing and mounting them.

Can we start with Kuhrusty?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
designer
badge
"What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?"
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
dysjunct wrote:

Can we start with Kuhrusty?

I've tried mounting him any number of times. So far no luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:

You can go and see mummies in the Cairo museum, maybe for pointers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.