Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William H. Bonney
United States
Clovis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious.. How long do you folks think it takes for the price of a new game to stabilize in today's market?

For example: When Sheriff of Nottingham first came out it was offered for $50 on Amazon, but today it can be picked up to $25.

I know there is a lot involved with respect to the fluctuation of prices such as the popularity of a game, the number of copies made, etc-- but I would like to know if there is a general rule of thumb on how long it takes for the price of new board game to stabilize.

I am particularly interested purchasing Caverna but I am reluctant to pay $75 for it, and want to know how long it might take for the price of this game to reach $40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna is now produced by Mayfair games who uses price controls on their products. You won't find it lower unless you luck onto a 3rd party amazon sale (I caught it for $60 that way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
neiltherealdeal wrote:
I am curious.. How long do you folks think it takes for the price of a new game to stabilize in today's market?

For example: When Sheriff of Nottingham first came out it was offered for $50 on Amazon, but today it can be picked up to $25.

I know there is a lot involved with respect to the fluctuation of prices such as the popularity of a game, the number of copies made, etc-- but I would like to know if there is a general rule of thumb on how long it takes for the price of new board game to stabilize.

I am particularly interested purchasing Caverna but I am reluctant to pay $75 for it, and want to know how long it might take for the price of this game to reach $40.

I believe both of those games came out around the same time.. so, if there was a set timeline for market stabilization, then then they would both reach it about the same time.. With everything else being equal, I doubt that the "stabilized" price for Caverna will go down that low, if only because of the number of pieces and complexity of the game in comparison to Sheriff of Nottingham. This is not to say you won't find a copy on sale or discounted at that price point, but I don't think it is likely to stay that low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games that suck drop in price. Caverna is generally accepted as a good game and has been out long enough, I'd say the price has stabilized. That heavy box will never be $40 unless you find a well used one missing a piece or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best bet might be to trade for a used copy, that way it only costs you postage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Agricola has been out for 9 years and still hasn't reached $40, so check back in 10-12 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth the $75.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William H. Bonney
United States
Clovis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Well, Agricola has been out for 9 years and still hasn't reached $40, so check back in 10-12 years.

While it has not reached $40-- November 2014, I paid $43.50 for the latest version of Agricola (with animeeples) on Amazon. Prices do fluctuate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Your best bet might be to trade for a used copy, that way it only costs you postage.

Postage and the games you are trading away. And as mentioned, you are only really getting the game at $40 if it is a highly used copy. About the best I have seen a Mayfair game go is for 25% off. This is the problem with making a 7-player game when 5-player is at most needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, keep an eye on ebay. I got a ding and dent copy of Fields of Arle for $40.00 shipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
It's worth the $75.

Not to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MSRP for Sheriff of Nottingham is $34.99. $25 is ~30% off. MSRP for Caverna: The Cave Farmers is $97, and it has Minimum Advertised Pricing (MAP) of 10% at most online retailers. Amazon doesn't abide by MAP, so it's often $70 or so there (again, ~30% off MSRP). You'll notice a lot of games wind up around 30% off MSRP at Amazon.

When will a $97 MSRP game hit $40? Likely never unless it is on clearance somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardU wrote:
When will a $97 MSRP game hit $40? Likely never unless it is on clearance somewhere.

Best case scenario is 50% off. Anything better than that is a fire sale type of pricing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Best case scenario is 50% off. Anything better than that is a fire sale type of pricing.

And you don't want to get Caverna in a fire sale. There's a hell of a lot of wood in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumplesink wrote:
matthean wrote:

And you don't want to get Caverna in a fire sale. There's a hell of a lot of wood in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neiltherealdeal wrote:

Sheriff was only $50 when it was overpriced because it was scarce. Caverna will hit $40 at about the same time you'd expect Sheriff to hit $15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games are only going to get more expensive as more companies start employing the whole "helping the local game store" policies. Just check out the whole Asmodee North America threads. As they gobble up more companies, the price of games as a whole are only going to increase. And... as it was already pointed out... Mayfair has been doing this for quite some time as well. Until the market stops buying their games, they'll continue to hold steady on this front. After all... they're companies, and companies are going to keep on trying to increase profits any way that they can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
neiltherealdeal wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

While it has not reached $40-- November 2014, I paid $43.50 for the latest version of Agricola (with animeeples) on Amazon. Prices do fluctuate.

I paid 40.85 in December 2013. This was in anticipation of Mayfair eventually getting the license and fixing the prices.

Anyway as far as this topic is concerned. $75 is the stabilized price of Caverna. It is $97 MSRP and was going for $150+ between initial printings. You can do a bunch of Mayfair events at Origins/GenCon and get it for $50 by collecting ribbons. You are going to be hard pressed to find it for less than $75 regularly. You might find a sale here and there where it dips to $60.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XxaviorR wrote:
Games are only going to get more expensive as more companies start employing the whole "helping the local game store" policies. Just check out the whole Asmodee North America threads. As they gobble up more companies, the price of games as a whole are only going to increase. And... as it was already pointed out... Mayfair has been doing this for quite some time as well. Until the market stops buying their games, they'll continue to hold steady on this front. After all... they're companies, and companies are going to keep on trying to increase profits any way that they can.

Shall we clarify this a little? Honestly, the average BGGer isn't really understanding what is happening.
1) MSRP will not be increasing.
2) Online pieces will be increasing.
3) Physical store pricing will begin to drop.

In all the threads about "my favorite FLGS", there are a couple common threads (cleanliness, friendliness, selection, expertise, etc), but the most favored aspect is some sort of rewards/discount program.

These stores attempt to carefully balance pricing to perfectly meet local demand, and gain the patronage of the volume buyers. You often won't see the listed prices dropping, but you may notice your rewards program has just got a few % better.

OLGS' can offer deep discounts because of the volume sold. FLGS' pricing can follow a similar pattern, and most of the great ones already do. ANA's move has just increased that volume for FLGS'.

I understand that you don't benefit unless you have a great FLGS near you, but that too is more likely now to change as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna's retail price is $97; $75 is actually more than %20 off. I"m as cranky as anyone at the limited discounting going on now and I'd prefer something like this at 30-35% off; but Caverna is an expensive game regardless of the discounting and $75 is not a terrible price for it. (One can buy it at Amazon at the time of this writing for 73.99 with free shipping -with prime- which is %24 of MSRP).

Eric

PS I also agree that some specific designers/producers do in fact over price thier games. I don't believe that's the case with Caverna. I actually paid full price for it at a con when it first appeared and don't regret one penny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most ironic part of all this is that Caverna's MSRP hasn't been at $97 for a couple weeks now.

Of course, OLGS' have conveniently not noticed, which only helps stores like me. My customers before paid less than online stores by just a bit. Now it's an even greater difference.

The sky is falling, indeed.

Edit: Forget it, YouTube links never work here for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47TrshGFZ8A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JRietveld wrote:

In terms of FLGS, MSRP is the same as is their member's program, so I have yet to see a difference in terms FLGS lowering their prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
JRietveld wrote:

In terms of FLGS, MSRP is the same as is their member's program, so I have yet to see a difference in terms FLGS lowering their prices.

Stores that have no rewards program will only drop prices as MSRP drops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JRietveld wrote:
neiltherealdeal wrote:

Sheriff was only $50 when it was overpriced because it was scarce. Caverna will hit $40 at about the same time you'd expect Sheriff to hit $15.

I disagree; all boardgames don't keep sinking in price, the way products like video games do. Only those that don't sell as well as expected really keep sinking and it's highly unlikely Caverna will ever really hit $40 without some new reprint or other special situation that knocks its demand down. Agricola has been around for 7 years and it is still selling well at full MSRP price and finding almost any version of it for more than 20% off is a challenge. If you want a copy of Caverna for $40 your best bet is a used copy and that will remain true for the foreseeable future.

(Unless this post I'm responding to is sarcasm, as I don't expect a new copy of Sherrif to ever hit $15 either).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:
JRietveld wrote:
neiltherealdeal wrote:

I disagree; all boardgames don't keep sinking in price, the way products like video games do. Only those that don't sell well really keep sinking and it's highly unlikely Caverna will ever really hit $40 without some new reprint or other special situation that knocks its demand down. Agricola has been around for 7 years and it is still selling well at full MSRP price and finding almost any version of it for more than %20 off is still a challenge. If you want a copy of Caverna for $40 your best bet is a used copy.

You misunderstood what I posted. Maybe if I say "Caverna will hit $40 at about the same time you'd expect Pete to stop using signatures."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.