Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Taylor
Australia
Girraween
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First the tl;dr version, Stonemaier Games provide amazing customer service.

I've had my copy of Scythe for a while now but due to "life" (aka a small child) and other things getting in the way I've still yet to have a chance to play it.

I've always been super pedantic about keeping my board games in pristine condition as I really want my games to last forever, so I am "that guy" who always sleeves every card, laminates every thin sheet of card and refuses to play the game until I've ensured it's protected. I do however buy games to play them so they don't sit on the shelf forever.

Anyway, the Scythe sleeves I had ordered from eBay for the largest cards finally arrived so I opened my collector’s edition copy of the game to start sleeving. To my horror about half way through the deck one of the cards bent significantly as I pushed it into the sleeve and not just slightly bent, but white creases on the back bent.

In hindsight, I’ve now read Mayday sleeves sizes are very inconsistent and that explains why this card required some extra force which ultimate ruined it.

To make matters worse, another large card bent slightly when I removed the shrinkwrap from the cards as one of the edges got caught in the shrinkwrap. I like to think I’m careful with my games so literally couldn't believe this had happened.

I was distraught, did I really just ruin my collector's edition copy of the game? I spent the next day really upset about how I'd ruined one of my games and was going through all possible options in my brain, including buying another copy of Scythe just to replace the card.

It then occurred to me to try the replacement parts service. I'm not a dishonest person so I layed it out exactly as it happened, that while sleeving my cards I’d managed to bend not one, but two of them. I admitted it was completely my fault and said I would be very appreciative if they could send me replacements, I'll even pay whatever cost is necessary.

Very quickly I got a response stating that they'd happily send me replacements and they should arrive in the next few days. I was naturally very relieved. A few days later the replacements arrived and I opened the envelope to see one of the cards was the wrong card. I'd specified I needed number 7 and 36 in the larger cards but had not checked thoroughly enough to realise that there are two cards with "7" on them.

I then again went back to the replacement parts service as apologetic as I could be that it was my mistake but I've got the wrong card. I didn't hear anything from them so assumed I'd pushed my luck, but a few days later the correct card arrived, so much happy! Unfortunately, this card had been bent in the post, it was in sealable bag but sent in a plain envelope. It was still in much better condition than the one I'd totally destroyed myself, but still clearly bent and visible from the back of the card.

I pondered on it a while and thought do I ask again or just leave it, but me being the person I am I couldn't bear having a non-pristine copy so I again contacted replacement parts and said it's the correct card but this one got bent in the post. I provided photos and said how sorry I was and hoped for the best.

Again I heard nothing, but as of today the replacement arrived, this time backed with cardboard in perfect condition.

The reason I've written this lengthy post is just to highlight how thankful I am to Stonemaier Games' customer service. Through my own fault entirely I damaged my copy of the game and they went to extraordinary lengths to help me and never asked for a cent. So as far as companies go, I can't fault them in the slightest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now THAT'S why I will support Stonemaier Games!

They stand in stark contrast to some companies, one of which I'm now awaiting a game that was supposed to be shipped nearly two months ago. During that two months they have only answered my many, many emails and comments online, just ONE time with the cryptic, "Shipping soon." That was over a month after they said, "Shipping next week." Over 70 requests and questions have been asked of the company, by the scores of Kickstarters, and they refuse to answer. Total silence, as though we don't exist!

Thankfully, there are other companies that take a special interest in their customer base - Such as Jamey and Stonemaier, Steve Bounacore and Stronghold, and others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to be pedantic, but I don't believe you've properly used the word pedantic. Is that irony?

Also, kudos to Stonemaier, I would have told you to kick sand after the second time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Australia
Girraween
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
Sorry to be pedantic, but I don't believe you've properly used the word pedantic. Is that irony?

Also, kudos to Stonemaier, I would have told you to kick sand after the second time!

I probably would have to to be honest. I was willing to pay for it, but it's definitely a painful request in any case and they never accepted my offer to pay anything. Very happy customer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for taking the time to post this. It's always great to hear about it, when we make fellow gamers happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to post this. It's always great to hear about it, when we make fellow gamers happy.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I love Stonemaier Games.

They're gamers like us, something you can easily see via the updates on the Scythe campaign when Jamey was considering little things like "holes in the baggies" that make life easier/better as a gamer.

They also really care about their product and how people experience it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.