Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ari Cornman
United States
Traverse City
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone who has played both Eclipse and Ascendancy compare the two? Which do you think is the better 4X game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
scirel wrote:
Can someone who has played both Eclipse and Ascendancy compare the two? Which do you think is the better 4X game?

I've played both. Hey are very different games. This one is a lot more about the map, exploration, and unique species abilities. Eclipse is a lot more about ship management and territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
scirel wrote:

I've played both. Hey are very different games. This one is a lot more about the map, exploration, and unique species abilities. Eclipse is a lot more about ship management and territory.

I own both and agree that they are very different!

I really like Eclipse's tech trees and research options which are much more limited in STA, but I hands down prefer the map in STA. Each time I've played we've ended up with a different configuration and tied with the exploration cards make it exciting to explore.

Also while STA has some luck swings in the beginning I actually think its easier to come back than in Eclipse where poor explore draws can really screw you up, especially with the wormholes limiting where you can go next.

I enjoy both but if forced to choose would probably pick STA for the application of the theme. The starting player boards and advancement decks really drive this home and the trade agreements and table talk make you feel like you're at a galactic council convincing your potential 'ally' to favour you instead of your opponent.

That said you can get a game of Eclipse with 4 players done in 2 hours...not possible with STA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Tonge
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
To my mind the biggest difference is that at least in it's current 3-player format, Star Trek is much more stabby.
It is a wargame. Ships can move, fight, move fight, move fight and then invade a planet. All on the same turn.
Then, you may get another turn back-to-back.

In Eclipse, whilst you certainly can be bombed into the stone age, it takes a bit longer and it's not as much of a blitzkrieg.

And of course in 'Trek you win by scoring 5 ascendency rather than by totting up VPs. So there is a ticking timer of 'the Feds win in 4 turns'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.