Popular Tags: [View All]
brett Bolen
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has there been a comparison between talon and federation commander. They seem to be very similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are quite similar in terms of genre (tactical starship combat), and Talon is a clear descendant. Broadly, FedCom is far more complex and offers a wider variety of options, races, ships, and rules. And, of course, it possesses the Star Trek theme.

Talon on the other hand is more streamlined, straightforward and has a much less steep learning curve. The recently announced Talon 1000 expansion promises more ships and scenarios for both races.

Both games use energy and speed management, impulse movement, and point allocation systems for fleet/scenario creation and campaigns.

I prefer Talon these days, as it offers a quicker, more decisive gameplay experience and cuts way down on the bookkeeping that FedCom can get bogged down in; on the other hand, if you're looking for a "lifestyle" game then FedCom might be a better choice due to the sheer amount of material available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each ship is simpler in Talon than Federation Commander, so you can play much larger battles. 8-10 ships per side is entirely feasible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a comparison review at https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1529299/talon-comparative-r...

I've been meaning to update that review. In short, I still really like Talon but there is still a sweet spot for Federation Commander for me as well. Basically Talon is better for more ships but Federation Commander reasserts itself when there are only one or two ships per side.

So, I agree with what Chris and David have posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I agree as well. I think if you're deciding between the two you need to ask yourself what your potential pool of fellow players looks like. If you have guys that will go all-in and take the time to learn the bigger system Federation Commander offers a lot of versatility. If you're going to be teaching, and your opponents are going to be more casual players, Talon is a much better choice.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like playing Duels (one ship against one ship) in Federation Commander. My concern is that Talon would not provide enough options for that kind of scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For one ship vs one ship, this isn't the system I would use as much as I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unic wrote:
I like playing Duels (one ship against one ship) in Federation Commander. My concern is that Talon would not provide enough options for that kind of scenario.

That's correct. It would be kind of like playing Advanced Squad Leader with one squad on each side. Playing one ship per side is only for learning the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sockwell
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
unic wrote:

That's correct. It would be kind of like playing Advanced Squad Leader with one squad on each side. Playing one ship per side is only for learning the rules.

I MIGHT be able to win that ASL scenario!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.