GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,604 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Side Jobs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was watching a run through of the game trying to decide if I wanted it and a side job came up. They played it where if they did not complete it that turn (it said "Once per turn you may" do something to complete it) they discarded it as "defeated"

My question is, do the Side Job cards stay in the 'Verse until completed or they slide into the Combat Zone and you fail to complete it that turn?

According to the rules, it says Side Job cards stay in the 'Verse and slide along like enemies until completed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are fine in the Verse, but they automatically fail at the end of the turn in which they enter the Combat Zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The only way a Side Job is "failed" is if it is sitting (uncompleted) in the Combat Zone at the end of a turn.

Otherwise, it remains sitting in the Verse until it is pushed into the Combat Zone by other cards, and can be attempted (or attempted again) on subsequent turns.

If it is sitting in the Verse (or even in the Combat Zone), and all the Objectives for that episode are completed, then the Side Job is discarded (or "defeated", technically) without suffering the "Failure" penalties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zarm R'keeg

Pennsylvania
msg tools
Even if it's face up? I was under the impression that if a side job was face up and uncompleted when the episode ends, it was counted as a failure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zarm wrote:
Even if it's face up? I was under the impression that if a side job was face up and uncompleted when the episode ends, it was counted as a failure...

No, in that case, it is just discarded. I think that several of the Failure effects wouldn't make much sense if they triggered during mission cleanup too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Halliwell
msg tools
So, just for my clarification, when precisely does a side job fail? At the end of the turn would mean after the cleanup phase, correct? And so the failure consequences would affect the person whose turn has just ended, correct?

For example: "Keep Jayne in Line" side job is revealed in the left most space of the verse (and the verse is full) It isn't completed that turn. On player 2's turn all the episode cards slide along and the side job enters the combat zone. Again, it is not completed. So player 2 finishes their turn by doing the cleanup phase. At this point the side job fails and is discarded, taking into account the failure scenario - in this case "You gain two flaws." Player 2 takes 2 flaw cards and adds them to their discard pile.

Would this be correct? Sorry for the long winded explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
that's how I interpret it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I played it in a game last night. You cleanup, discard and draw your hand, then implement the failure of the job as the last thing before the next turn starts.

This actually affected the game significantly, as we had a lot of failed jobs which gave out flaws, but drawing first and requiring a reshuffle meant the Flaws went into an empty discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Lujan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
if an episode ends, any and all side jobs are discarded as neither failed or completed.

Quote:
If an episode ends with uncompleted side jobs in play, they are discarded without success or failure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom k
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have another question concerning side jobs, I can't remember which card it was specifically, but it stated you must play 3 coordinates in one turn to complete the job. In a 2 player game, does that mean you need to have at least 2 in your hand(which you will just play as attack or recruit), and your partner can coordinate one with you on your turn? Or does it mean someone has to play a coordinate on your turn. In which case, you would need 3 other people playing since you can only play one coordinate per person per turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do it with 2 players and all three could be in one player's hand, or the player requires two and then they play a copy of the Coordinate card the other player Coordinated to them.

In other words, the cards don't need to be Coordinated to you. They just must have the Coordinate keyword on them.

It's possible to complete this Side Job using only two cards with the Advanced Intercom System Ship Upgrade too (Once a turn, when a player coordinates with you, you may play an additional virtual copy of that card). In this case, you can double-up a card coordinated to you, so you only need one more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.