Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

The Great Dinosaur Rush» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scoring multiple bonus cards - importance of positioning? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crookneck
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had my first play today and really enjoyed it; building the dinosaurs is tremendous fun. I was unsure about a situation that arose: I had these two bonus cards and built this dinosaur (apologies for glare-ridden photo):



Could both of these bonus cards be scored for this dino? The rulebook says that bones must match the card exactly and be built in the same configuration as on the card. Does that mean the angles of the bones must be exactly the same? These two cards require a very similar 3-bone limb (depicted as the rear limb on the cards). For the Lystrosaurus, the bones are at right angles; for the Hadrosaurus, they're placed at wider angles. Is that distinction important?

Thanks for any clarification!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brusky
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You bet! Both those cards can be scored together.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As a person still on the fence on the game, this is a very interesting question (& answer), as it implies a higher luck of the draw factor for the bonus cards. It's also interesting to see where the cut off point is for how 'similar' two parts can be to be scored together.

If it's not too much to ask, could someone go through the bonus deck & see approximately how many more potential 'similar part' cards are there?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crookneck
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the help, Kevin! I have a follow-up question: what about cards like the Uintatherium and the Dryosaurus?



They both have a 4-bone leg, but here the shapes/angles are really different. Could these be scored together?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crookneck
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:
As a person still on the fence on the game, this is a very interesting question (& answer), as it implies a higher luck of the draw factor for the bonus cards. It's also interesting to see where the cut off point is for how 'similar' two parts can be to be scored together.

If it's not too much to ask, could someone go through the bonus deck & see approximately how many more potential 'similar part' cards are there?


Here's what I'm seeing for cards with a shared feature that don't otherwise cancel each other out (cancelling out would be if, say, two cards both require a 2-bone limb but one requires a 3-bone head while the other requires a 4-bone head - impossible to do both of those). Some of them have pretty different bone positioning, though, like in my question above about Uintatherium/Dryosaurus:

Nodosaurus/Champosaurus (4-bone spine)
Nodosaurus/Diplodocus (4-bone spine)
Diplodocus/Champosaurus (4-bone spine, 4-bone tail)
Allosaurus/Champosaurus (4-bone tail)
Allosaurus/Diplodocus (4-bone tail)
Uintatherium/Dryosaurus (4-bone limb)
Dryosaurus/Edmontosaurus (2-bone spine, 2 ribs)
Lystrosaurus/Hadrosaurus (3-bone limb)
Lystrosaurus/Trachodon (3-bone limb)
Hadrosaurus/Edmontosaurus (3-bone head)

Those are just the ones with shared features. The ones with no overlapping features can more obviously be scored together, like combining a Triceratops head shape with a Ichthyornis limb shape with an Apatosaurus spine/rib shape, etc.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crookneck wrote:
Here's what I'm seeing for cards with a shared feature that don't otherwise cancel each other out (cancelling out would be if, say, two cards both require a 2-bone limb but one requires a 3-bone head while the other requires a 4-bone head - impossible to do both of those). Some of them have pretty different bone positioning, though, like in my question above about Uintatherium/Dryosaurus:

Nodosaurus/Champosaurus (4-bone spine)
Nodosaurus/Diplodocus (4-bone spine)
Diplodocus/Champosaurus (4-bone spine, 4-bone tail)
Allosaurus/Champosaurus (4-bone tail)
Allosaurus/Diplodocus (4-bone tail)
Uintatherium/Dryosaurus (4-bone limb)
Dryosaurus/Edmontosaurus (2-bone spine, 2 ribs)
Lystrosaurus/Hadrosaurus (3-bone limb)
Lystrosaurus/Trachodon (3-bone limb)
Hadrosaurus/Edmontosaurus (3-bone head)

Those are just the ones with shared features. The ones with no overlapping features can more obviously be scored together, like combining a Triceratops head shape with a Ichthyornis limb shape with an Apatosaurus spine/rib shape, etc.


Thanks for the list! Yeap only the ones with shared features are of concern, as with the case of Lystrosaurus & Hadrosaurus you posted, they require significantly less bones & planning to make work (as opposed to the limitations brought by combining 2 non-overlapping bonus cards onto the same dinosaur)

Without taking into consideration of positioning difference cut-off points, from the list it seems that certain cards (eg: Champosaurus) are more 'flexible' than others. Hopefully there'll be some clarification on which are similar enough to be scored and which aren't.


p/s: or maybe just make it such that they MUST be exact? So at most you could score 1 2-limb card, or 2 single-limb card... though not sure if the cards are balanced for such, since you could only score 1 head at any moment vs. potentially 2 limbs... I may be thinking too much whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J McAnulty
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Crookneck wrote:
I appreciate the help, Kevin! I have a follow-up question: what about cards like the Uintatherium and the Dryosaurus?



They both have a 4-bone leg, but here the shapes/angles are really different. Could these be scored together?


The rules say that the bones must be placed exactly as pictured, so if the two cards are not exactly in the same shape then they can't stack. That would be my read, anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wicht73 wrote:
Crookneck wrote:
I appreciate the help, Kevin! I have a follow-up question: what about cards like the Uintatherium and the Dryosaurus?



They both have a 4-bone leg, but here the shapes/angles are really different. Could these be scored together?


The rules say that the bones must be placed exactly as pictured, so if the two cards are not exactly in the same shape then they can't stack. That would be my read, anyway.


I just saw Rahdo's playthrough and he seemed to play it as 'having exact number of bones for that specific part = good enough to score'. The answer provided by Kevin on OP's original question favor 'close enough = good enough to score'.

Really hope to have a definite answer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Crookneck wrote:
I appreciate the help, Kevin! I have a follow-up question: what about cards like the Uintatherium and the Dryosaurus?



They both have a 4-bone leg, but here the shapes/angles are really different. Could these be scored together?


These can be scored together.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crookneck
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scottbalmes wrote:
Crookneck wrote:
I appreciate the help, Kevin! I have a follow-up question: what about cards like the Uintatherium and the Dryosaurus?



They both have a 4-bone leg, but here the shapes/angles are really different. Could these be scored together?


These can be scored together.


Thanks for the help, Scott!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After this thread my understanding is that only the number and colour of bones needs to match, not the angle at which they are placed. Is that correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Panda ThatsMe
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
After this thread my understanding is that only the number and colour of bones needs to match, not the angle at which they are placed. Is that correct?


Correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Panda ThatsMe
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:
As a person still on the fence on the game, this is a very interesting question (& answer), as it implies a higher luck of the draw factor for the bonus cards. It's also interesting to see where the cut off point is for how 'similar' two parts can be to be scored together.

If it's not too much to ask, could someone go through the bonus deck & see approximately how many more potential 'similar part' cards are there?


Also of note, the bonus cards seem to draw everyone's attention, but the real scoring is a combination of things. Watching the 'market' is extremely important, your competitor might be pushing a certain category (say 'Ferocity') to net a lot of points. You can push back those points or try to compete in that same category. Also, you have to watch your notoriety. I initially won our first game, but ended up losing because I had picked up the most notoriety.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.