Subject: LZ X-Ray Revisited rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mochara c
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting ATS set that I had & discarded after my tantrum surrounding the itsy bitsy "TT" counters that the publisher insisted on trotting out. After figuring out how to make a VASSAL module, though, I reobtained it 'cos now I can make the counters as big as I like

I was going to say that each side in this thing have their strengths and weaknesses, but I have to say that The US really have no weaknesses. Immense firepower, a far superior arty net and a couple of leaders that behave almost like Commissars (except without the bullet in the back if things go sideways). The NVA, on the other hand, have the benefit of stealth and speed; they may traverse woods and tall grass hexes as if they were open ground and glean an extra defensive bonus when stationary or crawling in those same terrain features. They have, however, only half of the destructive power that their American foes enjoy and are limited to how they may form firegroups. It would seem that to succeed with the NVA one needs to exploit their stealthiness to its maximum potential.

I didn't. Here's how the game with
Edwin Shaw
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shook out.

In Scenario #3, Rescue Mission, my NVA's task was to rack up VP by eliminating US troops and controlling three hexes near the LZ OR eliminate all members of a stranded group of grunts. Edwin's task was to prevent the latter and to accumulate VP, as well.

The US has automatic contact to their pair of heavy mortars, safely off in the weeds, so staying out of sight was a key task for the NVA. I was mostly successful with this, not offering too many targets by skulking out of LOS by the end of each turn. By doing this, Edwin was unable to hit the same stack twice in a row and had to re-spot on nearly every turn. He struggled with accuracy but, when he hit, it made a mess.

I figured the only way I could prevail here was to keep moving and execute hit-and-run attacks. This went mostly well, except that when moving-and-shooting one's attack strength is halved, so I never brought very much to bear in any of these forays, coming up with a lot of non-results along with chipping away a step here, a step there.

Edwin played a disciplined match, not sticking his neck out too far. Once he occupied the VP-paying hexes he hunkered down, happy enough to let me come to him. There came a point when I had to get more aggressive, or maybe reckless, and most of my efforts at that point were met with withering Opportunity Fire. That and a few poor choices late in the game took me out of contention.

I cannot help but feel that I could have played the NVA and their stealth factor more effectively, but I just haven't grokked quite how to do that, yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anything about this game. However I will say from the front page, it has the most baffling name ever. ATS TT: LZ X-Ray looks like someone tripped and fell on a keyboard when they were writing the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you familiar with LZ Xray?
It's about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brock
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
I don't know anything about this game. However I will say from the front page, it has the most baffling name ever. ATS TT: LZ X-Ray looks like someone tripped and fell on a keyboard when they were writing the title.

True. I'm familiar with (though don't play) the ATS system, and with LZ X-Ray, and even having read the thread I still can't for the life of me remember what TT stood for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"TT" = "Table Top"

The alleged idea was that the TT games would sport smallish maps to keep the setup area more compact than many ATS games.
When CH issued Bloody Omaha in a TT version it was clear that the original vision was gone, if it ever truly existed.
Thankfully, the days of teensy ATS counters appears to be behind us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.