1989: Dawn of Freedom» Forums » Rules

Subject: What "country where X has Power" means? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thiago Cordeiro
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
About cards: Inflationary Currency (44), Central Committee Reshuffle (57), Workers Revolts (78), Domino Theory (89) and Social Democratic Platform Adopted (106)

All of them have a text like "country where your opponent has Power" or "where the Communist/Democrat holds Power". What does "has/hold Power" means exactly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krisztian Posch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the beginning of the game in all countries the communist player has power. When country cards are played and the democrat manages to take control, then she will have the power (and the country scoring card is removed from the game). In the end of the game (should nobody reach 20 points earlier) the communist player will score points for each country where she managed to retain control. I hope this helps. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mb
Szajko wrote:
In the beginning of the game in all countries the communist player has power. When country cards are played and the democrat manages to take control, then she will have the power (and the country scoring card is removed from the game). In the end of the game (should nobody reach 20 points earlier) the communist player will score points for each country where she managed to retain control. I hope this helps. meeple

To add on to this, the Democrat takes Power and the scoring card is removed for a given country if the Democrat rolls a modified 4 or higher on the Power roll, the second after the Power Struggle, as detailed on the chart on the board. (Potential modifiers are +2 for winning with Rally in the Square and +1 for winning after Raising the Stakes as well as some from event cards.) If the Democrat fails to roll a modified 4 or higher, the Communist can then voluntarily give up Power to the Democrat, which has the same effect as if the Democrat had rolled a modified 4 or higher but without the corresponding VPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Cordeiro
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
So let me see, on any country:

If Scoring card has not yet played or played and Comunist wins Power Struggle - Comunist Power
Else if Democrat wins Power Struggle and modified roll >=4 - Democrat Power
Else if Democrat wins Power Struggle and modified roll <=4 - Comunist chooses maintain Power or not

Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krisztian Posch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tpcordeiro wrote:

If Scoring card has not yet played or played and Comunist wins Power Struggle - Comunist Power
Else if Democrat wins Power Struggle and modified roll <=4 - Comunist chooses maintain Power or not

Right?

Even when the Communist wins the power struggle she can decide to give up the country. Having said that, I have never encountered a situation when it would have made sense for the Communist to surrender a country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mb
Szajko wrote:
tpcordeiro wrote:

Right?

Even when the Communist wins the power struggle she can decide to give up the country. Having said that, I have never encountered a situation when it would have made sense for the Communist to surrender a country.

The most common situation for Communist to give up Power is in Poland during Early Year. Since Poland skews so Democratic, if Communist doesn't want to commit to trying to win it it very often makes sense for them to give it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.