BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: How do you manage bad reviews? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Black Toad Games
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I've had years of success with a game and have just decided to try to market it. I'm getting mostly great reviews and the occasional less-great review. I'd love to hear how you decide when to adjust for a bad review and when you disregard an "expert's" opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In general you just learn to live with the bad reviews. Simple fact is no game can ever appeal to everyone. Ever. So it is inevitable you will get some less than praisworthy reviews eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Wassen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Challenge the reviewers to a fight. Uwe Boll should be your inspiration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
I'm living for the day to see a bad review of my game on the Dice Tower channel! My life would be complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Sullivan
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Find your favorite game to play, and read its comments section. You're bound to find some less-than-flattering words for even the best designs. Those words didn't stop you from loving the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've purchased more than one game based on negative reviews.
I've avoided plenty more after watching positive reviews.

Providing the reviewer takes the time to explain why they did/didn't like it, it's all useful information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John duBois
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reviews are subjective. Not every game is for every person, or even every reviewer. Unless the review accuses you of eating babies or something, recognize it as a single perspective in a sea of perspectives and move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hollylala wrote:
I've had years of success with a game and have just decided to try to market it. I'm getting mostly great reviews and the occasional less-great review. I'd love to hear how you decide when to adjust for a bad review and when you disregard an "expert's" opinion.

Check out the review, see if anything in the criticism sounds like something you might agree with, then adjust for that. Otherwise, move on, since your game will get negative reviews eventually, simply because it can't appeal to everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evaluate the criticism, and if the reviewer has a good point, then learn from it.

Also remember, that like a crime, the cover-up/follow-up to a bad review is usually worse than the review itself. Don't directly respond to the review, as you will regret that decision. Let the community fight it out and learn from the discussion.

Some people just love to goad a designer/publisher into fights. Use your melon and don't fall into the trap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone smart enough to read game reviews will understand that plenty of a person's view is influenced by their taste.

Just keep an eye on them to see if they all kinda follow the same trend or identify the same negative points, maybe the source would be something you can fix for the better.
Perhaps a feedback survey could be used?

And I'll just add my voice to the other replies, don't ever try addressing a negative review directly as its only you who really needs to understand the other's view. Even with the most well-intending person its not on them to accept your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
There will always be haters. If there is a legitimate gripe, that can be fixed, fix it. Otherwise just let it roll off you. Try to take reviewers with a grain of salt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Toad Games
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Omega2064 wrote:
In general you just learn to live with the bad reviews. Simple fact is no game can ever appeal to everyone. Ever. So it is inevitable you will get some less than praisworthy reviews eventually.

Thank you John. Bad reviews and death I guess, hehe. Have a great day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Toad Games
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
extatix wrote:
Challenge the reviewers to a fight. Uwe Boll should be your inspiration.

I've watched a lot of MMA lately so I think this could be a solution

I read up a bit on Uwe Boll ...he certainly does have some gusto. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Toad Games
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
SupaGerm wrote:
Find your favorite game to play, and read its comments section. You're bound to find some less-than-flattering words for even the best designs. Those words didn't stop you from loving the game.

That's a great perspective...but who doesn't love Munchkin!? Truly though, I'm going to go check it out. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Toad Games
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
parp wrote:
I've purchased more than one game based on negative reviews.
I've avoided plenty more after watching positive reviews.

Providing the reviewer takes the time to explain why they did/didn't like it, it's all useful information.

You are absolutely right, I've had the same experiences. In terms of adjusting your game though, after reading these comments it's clearly up to me to decide how far I'll go to please the critics.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Toad Games
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
8Oj4N wrote:
I'm living for the day to see a bad review of my game on the Dice Tower channel! My life would be complete.

Alas, it seems most of us are not so fortunate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Toad Games
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
JohnduBois wrote:
Reviews are subjective. Not every game is for every person, or even every reviewer. Unless the review accuses you of eating babies or something, recognize it as a single perspective in a sea of perspectives and move on.

You are on to something here John, with the babies. You know what the proverbial they say: there is no bad publicity.

Thanks for the reality check though. Have a great day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Toad Games
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Shader10 wrote:
Hollylala wrote:

Check out the review, see if anything in the criticism sounds like something you might agree with, then adjust for that. Otherwise, move on, since your game will get negative reviews eventually, simply because it can't appeal to everyone.

Great advice! It's been great to read everyone saying the poor reviews are to be expected. Knowing that it's easier to choose what parts I find valuable. Thanks for your reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Toad Games
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
darthhugo wrote:
Evaluate the criticism, and if the reviewer has a good point, then learn from it.

Also remember, that like a crime, the cover-up/follow-up to a bad review is usually worse than the review itself. Don't directly respond to the review, as you will regret that decision. Let the community fight it out and learn from the discussion.

Some people just love to goad a designer/publisher into fights. Use your melon and don't fall into the trap.

haha...this is really good advice for me. I tend to want to defend a design decision. Thank you for the wise words...this may just save me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Toad Games
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mafman6 wrote:
anyone smart enough to read game reviews will understand that plenty of a person's view is influenced by their taste.

Just keep an eye on them to see if they all kinda follow the same trend or identify the same negative points, maybe the source would be something you can fix for the better.
Perhaps a feedback survey could be used?

And I'll just add my voice to the other replies, don't ever try addressing a negative review directly as its only you who really needs to understand the other's view. Even with the most well-intending person its not on them to accept your game.

Another point of great advice. I'll be sure to make learning a bit about the critic part of my evaluation. Thanks maf!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Toad Games
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
acedaryl1 wrote:
There will always be haters. If there is a legitimate gripe, that can be fixed, fix it. Otherwise just let it roll off you. Try to take reviewers with a grain of salt.

Hey..thanks for the input. Don't let this question affect your review Your copy should arrive today! - Holly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No reviews is worse! Bad reviews are still reviews, and you are still being noticed. You can build on them the next time around and hope to do better. I think you can learn a lot more from a bad review than from a good one - even if you disagree with the general thrust of it you may find something that will help you improve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.