Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Empire Strategy that is very hard to beat. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe O
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
So my friend and I have about 15 games under our belt. He's developed a strategy when playing the Empire that I am finding almost impossible to beat. Basically, he totally ignores missions that I do, and doesn't do any of his own either. All he does is move and dominate the entire galaxy. Within a few turns he has the galaxy locked down and is within one space of everything. Once he finds the rebel base he can muster a force to take it out and there's just nowhere to rapid mobilization to, that isn't going to get crushed the very next turn.

The only missions he ever does is to remove a sabotage marker in a critical spot or do something that builds a massive unit. Most games he has almost every unit in the box on the board and the board locked down or one space away from every planet with an overwhelming force. It kind of goes against the spirit of the game but it wins. It's a little disheartening so much so, we are starting to wonder if the game really isn't balanced after all. Would like some ideas on how to counter this type of strategy as I play the Rebels more often than not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boomerou wrote:
So my friend and I have about 15 games under our belt. He's developed a strategy when playing the Empire that I am finding almost impossible to beat. Basically, he totally ignores missions that I do, and doesn't do any of his own either. All he does is move and dominate the entire galaxy. Within a few turns he has the galaxy locked down and is within one space of everything. Once he finds the rebel base he can muster a force to take it out and there's just nowhere to rapid mobilization to, that isn't going to get crushed the very next turn.

The only missions he ever does is to remove a sabotage marker in a critical spot or do something that builds a massive unit. Most games he has almost every unit in the box on the board and the board locked down or one space away from every planet with an overwhelming force. It kind of goes against the spirit of the game but it wins. It's a little disheartening so much so, we are starting to wonder if the game really isn't balanced after all. Would like some ideas on how to counter this type of strategy as I play the Rebels more often than not.

I was actually thinking of running this strategy in my next game as empire. I'll see how it plays out and get back to you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. G.
Hungary
flag msg tools
My experience:

Actually I think spreading for the empire is more important than doing missions. But honestly there are crucial missions at the empire side which are silly not to play. On the other hand what I have always seen (about 20 plays now) is that spreading of the fleet almost always results in weakened fleet. You cannot produce fast new troops (unless you use mission cards that helps it out), and when you find the rebel base you find yourself against a massive rebel fleet. In this case the rebel player can sabotage the adjacent systems, or do quick attacks, even "free" attacks with the help of missions cards (i.e. Incite rebellion, ...).

Other issue with only spreading: If the empire only spreads he only has subjugated systems so the production is not strong and fast.

If the empire do not concentrate enough on opposing rebels missions, the rebel player gains very early reputation, can easily maintain sabotage, and get as many objective cards as he wants. Some of them are easy to achieve in this way.

On the other hand many people have fear from having too much troops on the rebel base. I always have as many as possible against a dangerously spreading empire, and actually I rather try to oppose Gather intel missions (but in your case, gather intel is even not played...). After 6 turns I have an almost unbeatable fleet on the rebel base. Combining it with smart mission play and distracting movements I have enough time to prepare for big battles. Ok, this is not easy to achieve every game, and it is really dependent on how the empire go ahead.

What I have seen is that the empire should focus on spreading and missions and opposing crucial rebel missions to stay in the game. Only spreading have never ended up with success for the empire. The equilibrium is not easy to find among the above mentioned aspects.

The more experience I read here in BGG the more I am convinced, that this game have many many ways to end which is the cause of the huge effect of our decisions on game end during the game. Some complain about too easy rebel side, other about too easy empire side. This is for me a very good indicator that the game is very well balanced and really decision dependent = great strategy and tactic game.

However I am also curious how the mentioned strategy works by others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you know his strategy, why haven't you adapted yours to counter it?

Move your fleets with leaders to stall him. Go on the offensive. If he's spreading himself that thin, then you need to inflict some damage with your units.

Sabotage, sabotage, sabotage, and then plan to counter his mission that clears it.

Use your starting mission (infiltration) to burn through your objectives deck and find objectives that will suit your purposes to score. ie all the combat heavy objectives.

This sort of thread pops up every few weeks. There's a lot of information out there for tips on how to play vs. certain strategies.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1559955/how-can-rebels-poss...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1587084/empire-just-good-to...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:
If you know his strategy, why haven't you adapted yours to counter it?

Move your fleets with leaders to stall him. Go on the offensive. If he's spreading himself that thin, then you need to inflict some damage with your units.

Sabotage, sabotage, sabotage, and then plan to counter his mission that clears it.

Use your starting mission (infiltration) to burn through your objectives deck and find objectives that will suit your purposes to score. ie all the combat heavy objectives.

This sort of thread pops up every few weeks. There's a lot of information out there for tips on how to play vs. certain strategies.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1559955/how-can-rebels-poss...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1587084/empire-just-good-to...

Agreed. It sounds like an interesting strategy, but he's spreading himself pitifully thin if he's getting that much coverage that quickly. The Rebellion side is always about hitting the Empire where it hurts most and where it will cost the Rebels the least. By splitting himself like this, he's just made that job easier for you.

After all, even FFG used this quote in their marketing- "The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers", and I find it to be extremely relevant to the gameplay. Overzealous expansion on the Empire's part can very easily lead to their downfall, if the Rebel player takes advantage of the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T. Probst
Germany
Waghäusel
of the Art
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My main strategie for a good game is: "not reading strategie articles about"..., so it will still be/stay exciting...

And hearing about 20-22 plays of a game means this game was a huge success on your table... nothing to complain about, or?
(Means around $4 per game - per evenning fun..., try this with going out with friends or visiting the cinema...!)

I stopped reading strategie articles after I read about all the complains of a Martin Wallace Game "A Few Acres od Snow"..., really, there were people complaining about the balance after having played 50+ games...
Really, If I would have a game which I could bring on the table for 50+ times... what should I complaining about? Some geeks here are strange!
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So...there are 31 systems excluding Coruscant.

If all Empire leaders are just moving to a new system each turn, I think it takes 4-5 turns to get everywhere (you start in 5 systems, so 5+4(T1)+5(T2)+6+7=27 systems on turn 4).

Then you have to deal with the fact that the Rebels presumably have a force at the base sufficient to deal with one SD and whatever ground forces you happen to have nearby, and the fact that they're sabotaging places within 1 move of the base and using their insurgencies and so forth to take back other subjugated planets elsewhere.

I'd be interested to see this strategy employed so starkly. I agree with the overall point that missions aren't usually all that useful for the Empire (I'm not sure the Project deck has much value at all, for example), but my guess would be that an Empire player who performed NO missions wouldn't be all that likely to win. I certainly agree that actions are far too scarce in the early turns to be doing much other than moving troops, though I think there are definitely cases like challenging a diplomacy mission in Utapau where you can make a strong case that it's better to take a 58% chance or whatever it is of stopping a cruiser/corvette recruitment than a 100% chance of preventing a few Rebel troopers being recruited. And I also think some missions (capturing sticks out) are probably worthwhile in the early going, depending on how the starting locations work out.

Just my thought.

EDIT: Apologies, OP! Didn't see you were asking for advice.

If the guy really doesn't use missions at all, here's my advice:

1. Look for an opportunity to use your starting fleet to attack him.
2. But if your fleet is safe, don't be afraid to allocate every leader to a mission.
3. Sabotage good worlds near your base (without being too obvious).
4. Build diplomatic relations with good worlds far from your base (ditto).
5. Try to build a set of objective cards where you believe you can play one each Refresh Phase, and where every time you play an "uprising" type card you can use a Combat objective (this may not be possible, obviously).

SWR is always a race against the clock. With his "extreme spreading out" strategy he is very likely to find the base with 2+ turns left in the game. Your goal is to be able to create a "dead" zone of sufficient size around the base that he can't get a conquering force there in time, and/or free up enough worlds elsewhere that you can do a RM and relocate when he draws near. These are of course basically always your objectives in any game regardless of the Empire's strategy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
matzi1 wrote:
boomerou wrote:

Exactly why I sold my game. Furthermore, if the Empire player knows what objective cards are in the deck, he can position his troops so you cannot score them. Not that difficult, after a few plays the overall strategy comes down to that. Also, the whole rebel strategy is about luck. (card draws, dice rolls, hero draws, planet draws etc.) I think that this game is not only highly overrated, but unbalanced as hell too.
I have 20-22 plays under my belt with Rebellion, read every strategy forum here, but did not find any decent Rebel strategy apart from harassing the Empire. Which is not enough. You simply cannot win against an experienced Imperial player.

Weird. From what I have seen on the forums most players do this strategy. It's the "meta" so to speak and far from unbeatable. Most recent polling results have rebels at a slight favor to win.

Like all strategies the "Expand or die" strategy has strengths and weaknesses. It makes you weak af with little all over the galaxy and makes you highly susceptible to counter attack from the rebels by going for your core systems or corescant if you left it under defended. And if you didn't leave it under defended then you aren't in a very good position to expand and hold systems. Massive expansion means massive subjagation which isn't good for stopping objectives and attractions incite rebellion cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. G.
Hungary
flag msg tools
matzi1 wrote:
erzengel wrote:

My main strategie for a good game is: "not reading strategie articles about"..., so it will still be/stay exciting...

And hearing about 20-22 plays of a game means this game was a huge success on your table... nothing to complain about, or?
(Means around $4 per game - per evenning fun..., try this with going out with friends or visiting the cinema...!)

I stopped reading strategie articles after I read about all the complains of a Martin Wallace Game "A Few Acres od Snow"..., really, there were people complaining about the balance after having played 50+ games...
Really, If I would have a game which I could bring on the table for 50+ times... what should I complaining about? Some geeks here are strange!
shake

This thinking would be good if I would have enjoyed Rebellion. But after the first 5 plays I just tried to find any decent Rebel strategy. I did not find one, and I honestly did not enjoy the last 15 plays.... So, you can say that I had fun 5 times, and awful time 15 times.
I got tired of finding good strategies. Oh well, looks like this game just wasnt for me. One of the problems can be that I really love Euros, and play Ameritrash only for fun. This game had a lot of luck going on, and the game was too long for my taste.

None of the board games are designed for every people, that is certain. If the empire wins every time, it means for me, and please do not take it offensive, that the rebel player is somewhat on a weaker level than the empire player. For me it is hard to imagine that the empire can keep in mind every rebel objectives and effectively prevent them from achieving during the entire play. It is surely impossible, unless the rebel player is passive or has no idea what to do. This might be a problem with the game: The learning curve is huge. I would say give it a try again with more agressive rebel play, but I read you sold your copy. I really regret this game was not for you.

If I can help more the OP:

The rebel player must solve a puzzle every turn trying to assign his leaders to missions which seem to be important, but he knows he has more important mission in that turn later. He should lure the empire leaders to missions and combats which are not important, and than succeed in a more important mission later, without opposing empire leader. Or more easily assign 2 leares to crucial missions to mitigate the luck factor. This game is not about luck. It is about how you can bypass the lucky outcome by rolling much more dice than your opponent. Of course I do not say luck is not present. But within 3-4 hours play it is even. Your long-term strategy cannot be effected by bad-luck from my prospective.

Some hints in sum:
- Mitigate luck by smart leader assignment = two leaders on card. Or a wise strategy: Activate a system with a leader and later do a mission in that system with another leader whose mission uses the capability of the former leader. That former leader can even be sent there from the leader pool before and not move any units there...
- Lure the empire leaders to opposing not important missions
- Gain as many cruisers at the beginning as you can, and plae as many troops on the base as it is reasonable.
- Build alliance, sabotage, go through your objective deck and choose the wise ones.

The game at the rebel side is always about smart, short actions against the empire. You might loose a lot of a missions. But if you go on missions with luck mitigation (like mentioned above), you will certainly be in balance with the empire.

And do not forget: The empire knows nothing about where you are, but you can see how it moves around. If you feel unsafe, change the base location. Or sabotage, or do short attacks with hidden fleet. There was a game when I had to change 4 times. And I won...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
vacuum88 wrote:
matzi1 wrote:
erzengel wrote:

shake

This thinking would be good if I would have enjoyed Rebellion. But after the first 5 plays I just tried to find any decent Rebel strategy. I did not find one, and I honestly did not enjoy the last 15 plays.... So, you can say that I had fun 5 times, and awful time 15 times.
I got tired of finding good strategies. Oh well, looks like this game just wasnt for me. One of the problems can be that I really love Euros, and play Ameritrash only for fun. This game had a lot of luck going on, and the game was too long for my taste.

None of the board games are designed for every people, that is certain. If the empire wins every time, it means for me, and please do not take it offensive, that the rebel player is somewhat on a weaker level than the empire player. For me it is hard to imagine that the empire can keep in mind every rebel objectives and effectively prevent them from achieving during the entire play. It is surely impossible, unless the rebel player is passive or has no idea what to do. This might be a problem with the game: The learning curve is huge. I would say give it a try again with more agressive rebel play, but I read you sold your copy. I really regret this game was not for you.

If I can help more the OP:

The rebel player must solve a puzzle every turn trying to assign his leaders to missions which seem to be important, but he knows he has more important mission in that turn later. He should lure the empire leaders to missions and combats which are not important, and than succeed in a more important mission later, without opposing empire leader. Or more easily assign 2 leares to crucial missions to mitigate the luck factor. This game is not about luck. It is about how you can bypass the lucky outcome by rolling much more dice than your opponent. Of course I do not say luck is not present. But within 3-4 hours play it is even. Your long-term strategy cannot be effected by bad-luck from my prospective.

Some hints in sum:
- Mitigate luck by smart leader assignment = two leaders on card. Or a wise strategy: Activate a system with a leader and later do a mission in that system with another leader whose mission uses the capability of the former leader. That former leader can even be sent there from the leader pool before and not move any units there...
- Lure the empire leaders to opposing not important missions
- Gain as many cruisers at the beginning as you can, and plae as many troops on the base as it is reasonable.
- Build alliance, sabotage, go through your objective deck and choose the wise ones.

The game at the rebel side is always about smart, short actions against the empire. You might loose a lot of a missions. But if you go on missions with luck mitigation (like mentioned above), you will certainly be in balance with the empire.

And do not forget: The empire knows nothing about where you are, but you can see how it moves around. If you feel unsafe, change the base location. Or sabotage, or do short attacks with hidden fleet. There was a game when I had to change 4 times. And I won...

TL;DR

Git gud you filthy casual.

Seriously though this is rather good advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Everyopne's made pretty good points so far. One thing I'd add is that the Empire is not only going to be overstretching themselves, but their reinforcements aren't going to be all that great. Sure, by subjugating planets they're going to have quite a few units ooming in, but for the most part they'll be TIES (which, without Assault Craft, are pretty much a burden) and Stormtroopers- nothing to scoff at, for sure, but when you're trying to cover the board, you're going to want a significant source of Star Destroyers and AT-ATs.

Again, this might be a decent strategy against a Rebel player who gets easily intimidated by such rapid expansion- but good use of some of the Rebel "trap" cards can really mess up a weak Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, if hes just moving fleets around, you can fill that base up pretty much. His random fleet will get smashed if you have 3 moncals and other stuff in there. Then he has to group up and move to engage you.

If he doesn't have a death star in system, a concentrated rebel force can smash any piece meal Imperial force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying it in my current game and we are about 6 turns in.

Its been pretty good, but the obvious counter to all those spread forces is concentrated forces in the rebel base.

I revealed his base by landing troops on it, and he murdered them. And with the fleet so spread out searching for him, it's going to take considerable time to bring together a force big enough to squash his base.

Its also mean't my troops are very spread, and I haven't got loyalty on a huge number of worlds, so he can use his cards to pop back up in various places.

Stil a few turns to play (tabletop simulator, friend is a doctor and he plays a 1-3 turns a night with me before he goes on shift)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Vomkrieg
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished our game using this strategy.

I had a real advantage in troops and production, he barely had anything on the board, but without the probe cards to guide my search I was very spread out. Good luck mean't I had the "veers card" when I did find his base as my initial assault failed, and he had recently moved troops out for an attack.

Vader leading the final charge won, but he was only 3 points away from a win.

So certainly viable in our game as I won, but its not perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subudai (Pete) Khan
Australia
flag msg tools

Good point Michael. Since April I have accumulated 23 games under my belt myself against an extremely experienced imperial player. I've won very few of those games, practically none as he has perfected this clear and secure strategy for the galaxy. But is the game flawed? Last night was the closest I came to a win in ages. As always, over a cup of tea or a mug of coffee post game, as we dissected what I could have done, the obvious rebel counter measures invariably surface.

Last night, in the face of an imperial player who only tried once to capture a rebel operative, who spent the entire game concentrating on builds and subjugation missions, I struggled. But, as always, I missed the obvious; he spent the entire game hoping I would notice the risk he took as he left just the Death Star and two Tie fighter units defending Coruscant, whilst he swept the galaxy. The strategy i should have adopted was to have searched the Objective Deck, found the Death Star Plans, then used one of my fleet deployment cards in a non-build turn to drop in a strike force at what were unoccupied Alderaan or Old Mantell. First move next turn, attack Coruscant and blow up the Death Star. For me, game could have been won GT7. Instead, I tried to defend my base against two super star destroyers and six star destroyers going rampant across the galaxy; game over GT8, my base a smoking ruin.

Bottom line, IMHO this game is extremely well designed. But it is hard to refocus when the expire does begin to squeeze hard. It is really difficult to objectively analyse counters to what is happening to you, then choose a fresh strategy mid game. I hate playing as the rebel alliance, but that's because it is very hard to win IF you try and be an imperial player. But for me, the game never grows old. It would be great to have played 50 games too.

I've also been lucky enough to get my copies at a special pre-order price. That means my games, because I have played so many, have cost me around US$7 a night, with that price falling each week (because I have to spend US$4 in fuel driving down and back from my mate's place; he has the large war game table). SO Mike, your point about value for money is well made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
subudai wrote:

Good point Michael. Since April I have accumulated 23 games under my belt myself against an extremely experienced imperial player. I've won very few of those games, practically none as he has perfected this clear and secure strategy for the galaxy. But is the game flawed? Last night was the closest I came to a win in ages. As always, over a cup of tea or a mug of coffee post game, as we dissected what I could have done, the obvious rebel counter measures invariably surface.

... snip ...

I've also been lucky enough to get my copies at a special pre-order price. That means my games, because I have played so many, have cost me around US$7 a night, with that price falling each week (because I have to spend US$4 in fuel driving down and back from my mate's place; he has the large war game table). SO Mike, your point about value for money is well made.

matzi1 wrote:

How many times have you played as the Imperials yourself. If you keep losing as the Rebels, why not swap sides to keep things interesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For everyone offering advice on defeating the no-frills Imperial Rush strategy, how many of you have actually faced it?

I've faced it multiple times. Against an experienced player, the Rebels cannot win. The Imperial fleets grow stronger and stronger. As Imperials start shutting down Rebel bases, Rebels production goes down to a near stand still and the their fleets dwindle down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patox wrote:
For everyone offering advice on defeating the no-frills Imperial Rush strategy, how many of you have actually faced it?

I've faced it multiple times. Against an experienced player, I cannot win. The Imperial fleets grow stronger and stronger. As Imperials start shutting down Rebel bases, Rebels production goes down to a near stand still and the their fleets dwindle down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patox wrote:

I've faced it multiple times. Against an experienced player, the Rebels cannot win. The Imperial fleets grow stronger and stronger. As Imperials start shutting down Rebel bases, Rebels production goes down to a near stand still and the their fleets dwindle down.

Yes, I have. As they expand, they leave weak points in their Empire, often near Coruscant. I Infiltrated and fished for the Heart of the Empire card, and invaded Coruscant.

And generally, this strategy means the Empire will be bleeding Objective points. Rebel Loyalty, Sabotage Markers and more would mean you would score a card every Refresh phase.

Also, in other games, I've won as Rebels with no units on the board. Just a well-hidden base full of defenders, far from the Death Star, and my Leaders tearing the Empire to pieces with effective missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
patox wrote:

I have to say that I have not. I would like to. After we analyse Imperial losses we tend to agree that they went for too many missions and not enough movement.

Twice I've played with a production focus. Using a blend of movement and missions to reduce Rebel production and increase mine, and it's worked well. Hoevever it does leave gaps. I'd love to try the other side and to see what I can do against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno Noms
msg tools
mb
With this strategy, all you need is 'Lead the strike team' followed by hidden fleet and you are in the middle of his undefended territory.

I would like to face such an imperial player, because while the Imperial Rush is quite prevalent with my opponents, yours seem to be simply better at everything.

I suggest the following to shake things up:
Next game, place the rebel base at Alderan. Wait until the major fleets have been sent to the edge of the galaxy and you are in the weakly defended core. Alderan rarely gets subjugated before turn 4 or 5 as before there are more important core worlds to secure and fleets to move out.

Ideally he runs with 1 AC and 2 troopers into your full force. You kill it without a leader and immediately take Ord Mantell or Corelia or both (depending on your force size and where the Empire is). If you can, you sabotage Coruscant. Prepare to relocate your base to the region he recalls his fleet from, but you should have plenty of time.

If Alderan doesn't get spotted you either attack on turn 4 (your cruiser has just arrived AND his star destroyer probably just got delivered to the outer rim) or you attack and take over Coruscant as soon as you have drawn Heart of the Empire (Infiltration in round 1-3 is key)

Also:
Maybe it would be best, if your experience Empire player play are round in the Play-by-Forum section here on the board. Then we could actually see a game or three and you could watch how other player fare against him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
matzi1 wrote:
-Within the empire only 2 troops remained on every planet (or an AT-ST)

I can hardly be described as an experienced Rebellion player, but if Imperial player leaves no more that 2-health worth of units in his systems, then I would say yes - he is leaving gaps.

Hit and Run, Incite Rebellion, Public Uprising, Plan the Attack, Lead the Strike Team and (sometimes) Wookiee Uprising, which can be followed by Hidden Fleet and/or Start the Evacuation - that makes for 10-11 mission cards and 1 action card which can be used in different combinations.

In other words, at least 40% of your mission deck can be used to oppose such strategy. Unless I'm totally missing something here, of course.

[edited for clarity]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno Noms
msg tools
mb
Perf wrote:

Hit and Run, Incite Rebellion, Public Uprising, Plan the Attack, Lead the Strike Team, Hidden Fleet, Start the Evacuation and (sometimes) Wookiee Uprising - that makes for 10-11 mission cards and 1 action card which can be used in different combinations.

Hidden Fleet and the AC specify, that there cannot be imperial units in the system, IIRC. But you are forgetting that the Imperial player ALSO makes all those systems loyal and has a large fleet adjacent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing the pundits are missing is that with this strategy the Rebels end up with very few units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Thrombozyt wrote:
Perf wrote:

Hit and Run, Incite Rebellion, Public Uprising, Plan the Attack, Lead the Strike Team, Hidden Fleet, Start the Evacuation and (sometimes) Wookiee Uprising - that makes for 10-11 mission cards and 1 action card which can be used in different combinations.

Hidden Fleet and the AC specify, that there cannot be imperial units in the system, IIRC.

Correct, that's why I mentioned the cards being used in "different combinations", so the first card clears the system, then the second one moves more units in - for example Hit and Run + Hidden Fleet or Incite Rebellion + Start the Evacuation. I edited my initial post to make it more clear.

Thrombozyt wrote:
But you are forgetting that the Imperial player ALSO makes all those systems loyal and has a large fleet adjacent!

I don't think Empire can have a large fleet adjacent to all of his weakly defended systems. As for loyalty to Empire - I thought the integral (or even defining) part of this strategy is actually not "wasting" turns to Rule by Fear, but subjugating the systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.