Popular Tags: [View All]
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb

Eagle of Lille
An expansion for Bloody April, 1917: Air War Over Arras, France designed by Terry Simo and Steve Paul

"Ownership of Bloody April is required to play this expansion. "
― GMT Games web page

Introduction
Eagle of Lille picks up where Bloody April leaves off, and brings usus to the campaigns of Immelmann, Oswald Boelcke,Lanoe Hawker, and others.

Components
This expansion comes in a ziploc bag and contains the expanded rule/playbook, new aircraft cards, new maps, and a sheet and a half of counters.

The bits in the bag are on par with the original game.

Rules and Game Play

Eagle of Lille adds some advanced and special rules, some of which are for both the base game and this expansion, and some of which are exclusively for the expansion. The special rules include some optional ones for formation integrity and follow down, adds aerodromes not on the Bloody April maps, and of course the new airplane types.

The quality of images from the iPhone are pretty good

Rules for both addenda for balloons and manoeuvre, as well as ground units as targets (tanks).

There are also seven scenarios to accompany the new material.
- The Fokker Scourge, 1 August 1915
- Immelmann Evens the Score, 26 October 1915
- Fokker Fodder, 13 March 1916
- Easter Sunday, 23 April, 1916
- The Eagle of Lille, 18 June, 1916
- Battle of the Somme, 1 July 1916
- The Shape of Things to Come, 15 September 1916

Conclusions
Expansions in Euro games tend to be hit and miss, and with few notable exceptions, they tend to fall on the miss side.

Wargames are a different kettle of fish. Expansions tend to enhance or add to the experience. The main reason for this is that there's usually a lot of material left on the cutting room floor. A perfect example is Combat Commander: Mediterranean which is really the other half of Combat Commander: Europe.

Eagle of Lille adds a fairly decent amount of new material for the Bloody April enthusiast in a small enough package that you can add it to the original 3" box.

I suspect most fans of the system pre-ordered this at the P500 price, but for $25 retail it's a worthwhile addition. Definitely recommended if you've enjoyed Bloody April and are looking for more, or for the completist.

Thank you for reading this latest installment of Roger's Reviews. I've been an avid board gamer all my life and a wargamer for over thirty years. I have a strong preference for well designed games that allow players to focus on trying to make good decisions.

Among my favourites I include Twilight Struggle, the Combat Commander Series, the Musket & Pike Battle Series, Julius Caesar, Maria, EastFront, Here I Stand, Napoleon's Triumph, Unhappy King Charles!

You can subscribe to my reviews at this geeklist: [Roger's Reviews] The Complete Collection and I also encourage you to purchase this very stylish microbadge: mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.