Subject: Difference in components between early and revised (77) game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it true that only the rules were changed between these different D-Day editions ?

And that the components like mapboard, counters, CRT all stayed the same ?

Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
I've no idea. I've only ever seen the first edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Trowbridge
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were some minor map changes between the very earliest versions ("1961a") and one a few years later (1965) - the most meaningful being that a 4-hex region in the North Sea invasion area between the Rhine and Ijssel rivers was land in the later version, but was water in the earlier version.

I think (but do not remember for sure) that there were some on-map notation changes in Germany - Bremen, in particular.

I suspect there were some map changes regarding the never-really-used "Corps" markers and locations to place Allied units not yet landed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Yes, only the rules changed with the 77 edition.
From the Wiki on the game's home page;

D-Day (second edition) Wiki wrote:

The original version is termed D-Day 1961A. The rules were revised in later 1961 or early 1962 (version 1961B). The mapboard and rules were revised in 1965 by Larry Pinsky and the rules were again revised in 1977 by Jim Stahler. The box and counters have remained constant. D-DAY was the first of the "classic" games which remains popular in postal circles to this day (1980), although the 1977 edition rules are a vast improvement and have breathed life into a game which was previously fast becoming forgotten.

And, as you can see, it also gets lots of play-by-mail action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the replies guys :

Could anyone be so kind to mail me the second edition rules of 77, so I could play them on my 1 edition?

Since the new game rules can no longer be obtained through the defunct old AH, I would be much obliged .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter TenEyck
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Is anyone interested in playing an email match of D-day
3rd edition? It's been years since I've played but I'm interested in finding some folks to play.

Thanks,
Peter TenEyck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

I'm up for that, if you don't mind giving me a 2 or 3 weeks to get some business out of the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.