Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I was eagerly waiting for this since Bohnanza is the only game my girlfriend will eagerly play and this 2p version promised a lot of fun for us.

We played it once so far, and generally liked it. However, I wonder about a couple of things:

First off, there is no trade besides the mandatory gift, right? This is rather a plain rules question. If I'm not mistaken, the rules don't mention any trade that is so typical for the classic Bohanza.

Secondly, we missed the tension that comes from obstructive cards on your hand and consequently being forced to harvest fields you want to keep. The a) three fields, b) the option to plant "one-class-lower" beans, c) the gift and d) the option to simply discard one of the three cards you need to draw during your turn seemes just one way too much to help yourself.

Now, I probably have given the answer myself. I could houserule one or two of these. Treat fields like in the original game (start with two, buy a third). No chance to just discard a card you don't like. Does anyone have an idea what would be better?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Ohn
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I have to say that I haven't played Das Duell yet, but I am excited to play it, because my girlfriend and I also really enjoy regular Bohnanza.

Trading in 2-player Bohnanza doesn't really work, because you are less inclined to make deals. A trade will always benifit one player more. When you play with more players you are more inclined to make deals, because it can help 2 other players to catch up with the leading player and because it will be harder to remember how many coins each player has gathered.

We have tried the 2-player version in the rules from Rio Grandes website (http://riograndegames.com/Game/36-Bohnanza), but it was never as fun as regular Bohnanza.

We are still trying to find a good 2-player variation of the game, so it's good to read your thoughts on this one. It's a shame if it gets to easy to place your beans, since the tension from deciding whether to harvest or not, is a big part of the game for me.

Maybe Bohnanza just doesn't work without the trading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximiliano Sanchez de Bustamante
Argentina
Olivos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that I haven't played Das Duell as well. I like regular Bohnanza 2P and it is ok, with 4 or 5 is much much better. For 2P my wife and I prefer Al Cabohne (you can found it in Bohnanza: Ladies & Gangsters as well)
Also I like the 1P variant in this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I did play this and as far as I can tell you didn't get any rule wrong (or we got it wrong as well).

I also missed a bit of the tension of having to harvest a field early to make space as it of course gets a lot easier with the rules you already mentioned.
I think they added some of that tension back with the bohnus-cards as you probably want to plant your things in a certain order now, but I agree it still feels way less restricitve than the original Bohnanza.

I haven't played this a lot yet (1 interrupted and 1 full game) and usually don't like to change too much before I played the game several times, but my first option for houseruling from your suggestions would probably be the option to discard one of your three cards.

And maybe as just another idea to think about: potentially one could restrict Bohnus cards to your own fields only? This might give you more reason to plant your fields in a certain way and while you might not need to harvest a field sometimes you might mess up your bohnus cards more often. I'd be careful with this one though as offering a present to your opponent because him planting it helps you with your bohnus card is something I took advantage of in some games and that would remove that part of the "gift giving".

As there is not many reviews of the game so far, I'll also add my opinion at the end that I in general enjoyed the few and early play(s) of this. It clearly has some diffrences from Bohnanza, but especially the way you give "gifts" is an interesting idea to replace the trading that would always be a problem with 2 players and it still has at least enough of the Bohnanza vibe that I'm looking forward to playing it a bit more and forming a better opinion on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Call Me Grantos
Canada
Orangeville (near Toronto)
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grundhest, I'm surprised to hear you didn't like the Rio Grande 2 player rules. To me, this version is as good or better than the original (depending on the crowd). I'm not inclined to invest in Das Duell since the "original" variant is so satisfying to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luk
Belgium
Mechelen
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our first game, we forgot the rule allowing to discard one of the three cards from the market. Indeed, in the next plays the tension was less,at least concerning unwanted cards blocking your hand and interrupting your plans.
So if you are looking for a houserule, this is a good candidate.

Restricting the bonus cards to only your own fields is a "no go" for us.
We really loved the fact you can please the other with a nice card, forcing to complete one of your bonuses.

My wife loves it, and I think it is a nice game too. You simply may ot compare it to the original Bohnanza, it simply is a different feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Ohn
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Grantos, It's been a while since i played this version. I think I will give it another shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers so far, espcially to Kerstin.

I don't think I would houserule tha bohnus rules but rather the option (not) to dump a marked card or the number of fields.

I love the concept of the gift but my girlfriend tends to not use it to her advantage (i.e. in a "mean" way).

An speaking of the bohnus thing... I didn't pay too much attention to it during our first plays. Has anyone won because of the bohnus cards? It rather seems to be a tie breaker. How many points do you make on these cards per game? I haven't tried hard to plant my own fields according to my bohnus cards as I often would get less points (coins) doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
And speaking of the bohnus thing... I didn't pay too much attention to it during our first plays. Has anyone won because of the bohnus cards? It rather seems to be a tie breaker. How many points do you make on these cards per game? I haven't tried hard to plant my own fields according to my bohnus cards as I often would get less points (coins) doing so.

Reading this again, I have to admit that we played one thing incorrectly during our first plays: We only counted the "Cent" value of the bonuses. Meanwhile I understood, it's a whole coin plus the cents... So you certainly can win just because of the bonuses.

Regarding my initial question to this thread, I still haven't decided what to do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.