Subject: Vatinian Law rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Giongo
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, I don't understand:

1) Can Governors move between their Province(s) and the Senate?
- Living rules 2.16 say "The governor may return to the province. He may leave move between the province and Rome any time during the senate phase, but if he moves, he must remain at his destination until the start of the next senate phase or until recalled".
- Living rules V1.04 (1.13.1) say "Governors may not move between their Province(s) and the Senate".

2) (if they can do it) how may we rule the timing of Governors' movements between Senate and Provinces? What does it means "any time" (living rules 2.16)? What happens during a prosecution or an assassination, if a Governor in Rome moves to Province?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to provide a simple answer but later found that I don't know it.

However, I do recall there were a couple of sites dedicated to this game, many years ago. Here's one of it and has what's closest to an answer.
http://www.yxklyx.com/thecolosseum/ror/RoRCompleteErrata-v2....

Quote:
Vatinian Law

"Hereafter, a Senator may govern one or more Provinces through a Legate while remaining in Rome in some other office or commanding an Army in the field."

The above is the original text of the card. It opens up a Pandora's Box of questions that need answering. The following is my interpretation of how the card should work. These rules were written with PBEM games in mind.

1. An aligned Senator can be Governor of more than one Province at the same time. An unaligned Senator can be Governor of only one Province at the same time.
2. A Senator must be in Rome to be proposed for a Governorship. He can be proposed for multiple Governorships in the same or different proposals. He can be proposed for a Governorship even if he currently holds another Office.
3. A Governor can only reside in one Province at any one time. A Governor may also opt to reside in none of his Provinces. A Governor may not reside in any of his Provinces if he currently holds an Office other than a Governorship.
4. When a Senator is elected to a Governorship he has the option either to reside in a Province he has just been assigned to govern or to stay in Rome. He must stay in Rome if he holds an Office other than a Governorship. An unaligned Senator will always reside in his Province.
5. A Governor can leave Rome to reside in one of his Provinces at any time during the Senate Phase after Prosecutions have been held - unless he holds an Office other than a Governorship. A Governor cannot travel between his Provinces.
6. A Governor may return to Rome from a Province only at the end of the Revenue Phase. A Governor must return to Rome at this time if the term for the Province he is currently residing in just ended.
7. A Province whose Governor is currently not residing in it is said to be ruled by Legate.
8. A Corrupt Governor can only be Prosecuted and/or fined via Calpurnian Law on the turn that his Governorship ends. He may be Prosecuted and/or fined once for each Province from which he collected Personal Income. It's possible for a Governor to avoid Prosecution by staying away from Rome in one of his other Provinces.
9. Note that via the Recall rule (9.622), a Governor can be stripped of his Province before his Term expires by having a new Governor elected in his place. Since Governor Recalls occur after Prosecutions, a Corrupt Governor thus recalled will avoid Prosecution; though he can still be fined.

Why was Living rules was different from Valley Games 1.04: Valley Games made a couple of changes to the rules back then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Giongo
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you Ronald!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all that except that a recalled corrupt governor retains his minor marker until the end of the next prosecution phase. Otherwise you just try to get corrupt governors recalled with 1 turn showing.

Does the Vatinian law change that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.