Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

That's right. Sony corporation owns the copyright on the film of the "I Have A Dream" speech among other MLK films. This link explains it.

I found out in the comments of Steven Crowder's latest webcast. (If you're interested, he makes an impassioned talk at the start of the webcast, followed by some video which includes video of MLK's speech at the National Mall.)

You may or may not be able to see the video because YouTube is blocking it in some countries because Sony has claimed a violation of fair use. (If so, there are alternate links to the webcast in the YouTube video's comments.)

I'd quote something sage from the U.S. constitution or the Bible but I don't want to get into trouble with their copyright holders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I read somewhere that the group that proved that the basis for the copyright claim to Happy Birthday was unsupportable was next planning to tackle We Shall Overcome. Another work that being owned by a large corporation is surprising let us say.

(Oddly, by chance I Have a Dream came up in a discussion today, contrasting with the best any modern politician offers, which is I Have a Plan.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's progress 150 years ago they would have owned him and his family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:

Part of the reason the idea is a bit revolting.

How was this copyright obtained?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
growlley wrote:

Part of the reason the idea is a bit revolting.

How was this copyright obtained?

MLK's children (who control his estate and were doing so for years before Coretta Scott King's death) are notoriously rapacious and greedy (they demanded a fee to permit the construction of the MLK monument in Washington) and licensed the copyrights to EMI (which was bought out by Sony) for millions of dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
MLK's children (who control his estate and were doing so for years before Coretta Scott King's death) are notoriously rapacious and greedy (they demanded a fee to permit the construction of the MLK monument in Washington) and licensed the copyrights to EMI (which was bought out by Sony) for millions of dollars.

Given how their father was treated in his lifetime, including how he died, I can't say I entirely blame them if they are jaded to the whole thing of treating him like a hero after he's conveniently dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be curious to know who filmed the original speech, and the history behind that. Although the FBI, and more specifically Hoover, had a woody for investigating MLK, I don't doubt that the government recorded that speech for the record. If it was governmentally originated, I am not sure that Sony would have any rights to it copy. The film may very well be government property, and not that of MLK's family, to be able to sell to Sony (or any other third party).

....from Wikipedia

Copyright dispute

Because King's speech was broadcast to a large radio and television audience, there was controversy about its copyright status. If the performance of the speech constituted "general publication", it would have entered the public domain due to King's failure to register the speech with the Register of Copyrights. However, if the performance only constituted "limited publication", King retained common law copyright. This led to a lawsuit, Estate of Martin Luther King, Jr., Inc. v. CBS, Inc., which established that the King estate does hold copyright over the speech and had standing to sue; the parties then settled. Unlicensed use of the speech or a part of it can still be lawful in some circumstances, especially in jurisdictions under doctrines such as fair use or fair dealing. Under the applicable copyright laws, the speech will remain under copyright in the United States until 70 years after King's death, therefore until 2038.[57]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MLK started this mess. Shortly after he gave the speech one of the record companies of the time were pressing and selling copies of it. MLK fought a court case and the speech was declared a performance and not 'news' by the court.

As has already been said at some point one of his children who was in charge of the MLK foundation sold the copyright to EMI , who were later bought out by Sony,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a shame that the company or family would seek to make profit, from a speech that was given in a public venue, and heard by thousands at the time. Call the speech what you wish today (art, performance, public domain, etc) it is a shame that the message King sought to impart thru the speech, would be stifled for the purpose of gaining income. I am farily certain that was not his intent, nor should it be the intent of the music company, or his family. Shame on them if they do not agree with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
No good deed goes unpunished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
The copyright wasn't to make money originally, but to stop the company pressing it from making money off it. Then he died.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
growlley wrote:
155-Years ago in 1861, while these are still available:

"I have a DRAME"
&
"I have a DRAEM"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.