21 Posts

Thunderbirds» Forums » General

Subject: This game is really hard to sell rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And that´s not because it is a bad game, but because it is difficult to sell it off as a whole Kickstarter edition, since people rarely buy into the full package straight away (buy the base game instead). I had my copy on the Marketplace for months now, reduced it even in price two times.

I have a new copy, completely in shrink. All the expansions that are now being sold separately by Modiphius are inside the shrink-wrapped box. I cannot take them out without breaking the seal (=shrink).

I also have the RPG module. I was thinking of selling this off separately as well, but due to the lack of an entry for this on boardgamegeek, you cannot sell it on the BGG marketplace, either.

Any recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should be able to list the RPG on the RPG geek section -

link to item

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The price is on a par with the original Kickstarter, even better actually for the inclusion of the RPG expansion (if that is what someone wants - I didn't).

One disappointment with the expansions included in the KS package was that we missed out on the wonderful artwork of the expansion boxes......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamiri wrote:
And that´s not because it is a bad game, but because it is difficult to sell it off as a whole Kickstarter edition, since people rarely buy into the full package straight away (buy the base game instead). I had my copy on the Marketplace for months now, reduced it even in price two times.

I have a new copy, completely in shrink. All the expansions that are now being sold separately by Modiphius are inside the shrink-wrapped box. I cannot take them out without breaking the seal (=shrink).

I also have the RPG module. I was thinking of selling this off separately as well, but due to the lack of an entry for this on boardgamegeek, you cannot sell it on the BGG marketplace, either.

Any recommendations?
Yes: don't speculate on KS purchases. Or, in any "investment market", do better research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, very helpful, guys. Didn't know the RPG was listed separately.

My intention was not to speculate on the KS edition, nor on selling it off later. I was really interested in the game during the time of the KS campaign. But it got "buried" under a pile of many other, more interesting games that I purchased in the meantime so that I do not see me playing this in the near future.

Is the box of the RPG retail version also white or printed? Mine from Kickstarter came in a white box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jamiri wrote:

Is the box of the RPG retail version also white or printed? Mine from Kickstarter came in a white box.

I bought my RPG version from Modiphius and it came in a white box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the expansion boxes going spare if anyone wants to buy them off me. (Just the boxes, not the contents)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capture wrote:
Jamiri wrote:

I bought my RPG version from Modiphius and it came in a white box.
Is there actually a "retail" release of the RPG, of did your "white box edition" actually come from the KS run as surplus? I ask because the other expansions received a staggered release to retail and got "proper" packaging when they did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The highest price it has sold for on the BGG marketplace is €55. There are a few listed at that price there now that haven't sold for months. Your asking price is well above that so it's not surprising your hasn't sold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I split off my RPG pack in the marketplace now to sell for 15€ (new) separately. That's way below the 21.99 GBP Modiphius asks for.

I further lowered the price for the KS edition package that I am selling, but still above the 55€. I am a patient person, so I will go with my new price for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
The good news is it's a good game not a lemon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I pledged for the £65 base game + all expansions option and here it is still unplayed. I figure if it's gone over a year unplayed I should get rid.

Been sat on my trade/sell pile for ages - can't shift it - and I've seen the same pledge go for as little as £40!

Seems I may as well keep it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonboyjon wrote:
I pledged for the £65 base game + all expansions option and here it is still unplayed. I figure if it's gone over a year unplayed I should get rid.

Been sat on my trade/sell pile for ages - can't shift it - and I've seen the same pledge go for as little as £40!

You should keep it and play it - it's awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
jonboyjon wrote:

You should keep it and play it - it's awesome!

I would definitely keep, it's a good game and so far no one has been disappointed with it. It's also a good solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Browne
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Problem I've had is that I've already got the following co-op games and why they're easier to get to the table:

Forbidden Desert - cool theme, quick playtime
Pandemic - the classic co-op - plus On the Brink really mixes things up
Mysterium - very thematic/immersive
Mansions of Madness - very thematic/immersive/narrative/exploratory
Pandemic Legacy - speaks for itself (we've got June next)

So I think that's why I've struggled to get Thunderbirds to the table - I just don't see what it offers that ^^^ don't already?

#changemyview

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its *Thunderbirds*! Is that not enough to make you want to play it?

Buy it for the nostalgia, play it because it turns out to be an excellent game.

Better theme than Forbidden Desert
Less AP than Pandemic
More strategy than Mysterium
Less fiddly rules than Mansions of Madness
Doesn't always need the same group, unlike Pandemic Legacy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scotherns wrote:
Its *Thunderbirds*! Is that not enough to make you want to play it?

Buy it for the nostalgia, play it because it turns out to be an excellent game.

Better theme than Forbidden Desert
Less AP than Pandemic
More strategy than Mysterium
Less fiddly rules than Mansions of Madness
Doesn't always need the same group, unlike Pandemic Legacy

What he said
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's basically replaced Pandemic for me. I'd rather play Thunderbirds than almost any co-op now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I pledged on KS because of the game, as I have never watched the show, so nostalgia does not work for me :-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamiri wrote:
Actually, I pledged on KS because of the game, as I have never watched the show, so nostalgia does not work for me :-).

You should watch the show, then maybe you won't want to sell it. It was re-mastered on Blu-ray and looks fabulous! I've watched it back in the 70's and on DVD, and now on Blu-ray.

I'm a huge Gerry Anderson fanboy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jonboyjon wrote:
So I think that's why I've struggled to get Thunderbirds to the table - I just don't see what it offers that ^^^ don't already?

Well, it seems you like Matt Leacock. This is by far his best game and the first one that doesn't recycle the same mechanics. I find the logistic puzzle much more interesting than in any of his Pandemic/Forbidden games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.