Cyclades: Monuments» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules in English rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kamil Nowakowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules are available to download from Matagots page:
http://matagot.com/IMG/pdf/Cyclades_Monuments_Rules_EN_OK.pd...

Looks interesting - it is not possible to build a metropolis out of monuments which is good concept I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven De Tavernier
Belgium
ELLEZELLES
Hainaut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WAW. Nice, straightforward rules. Opens a lot of new dynamics IMHO.

Just one question to be clear:
Say I've built/have 2 Fortresses, then I'm allowed to build the Great Citadel of Ares.
If, in my next turn I built/conquer an University: Am I allowed to build the Military Academy (=Fortress + University)?

In other words: building used to erect one Monument, can they be 'used' to to build other Monuments?

And, can multiple Monuments be built on the same Island/Territory?

Thanks for the clarification !

I'm soooooooo looking forward to this one !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks fun! I think I'll stay a Cyclades completist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dr wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
can't wait to try this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lavouazie vonapart
Greece
flag msg tools
Hi there. Looking forward to the expansion.

I want to pinpoint:
1) "The two necessary buildings used to build a monument stay on the board".
a)So these buildings can count to build a metropolis. ---> ok. The monument itself doesn't count as a building to build a metropolis---> Fair. Ok.
b) So these buildings can count to build a second monument since a player can build more than one monument (rules dont forbid that)---> I think not. It will mess things arounds if that could happen. But it has to be clarified.
c)Great Temple of Zeus. " When your turn starts update the mythological creature track as if it was the beggining of the cycle ----> Not ok. This action mustn't be mandatory(or can turget an enemy player). If in my turn i want to bye with 2 GP the creature that already exists, with this mandatory action of the monument i ruin myself.
d)Great Citadel of Ares. The parenthesis could be deleted or put an "e.g", because it cannot invaded by land(All land units not only titans) or air(Pegasus and sacrificial power of Perseas).

i recently have read the creators interview for the Titans of what things dont like, and i am one of themcry Long games with lot of armies and discarding creatures!!whistle But still love them!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mormolis wrote:
b) So these buildings can count to build a second monument since a player can build more than one monument (rules dont forbid that)---> I think not. It will mess things arounds if that could happen. But it has to be clarified.

If you could only use each building once in order to qualify for a monument, you'd need a way to mark that building as "exhausted" or whatever. The rules make no reference to this, so I think it's fair to assume that you can use them as many times as you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogil Camama
United States
Waco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmmm, there are differences from the announcement (https://www.asmodee.us/en/news/2016/8/9/mythical-monuments/) and this rulebook.

For example:
Announcement talks about the monument gaining the abilities of the buildings that compose it and that you need to remove the two building tiles to place the monument. Also counts for building a metropolis.

Rulebook doesn't talk about the monument gaining the buildings' abilities and the buildings stay on the board. Also doesn't count for building a metropolis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vorname nachname
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Asmodee link is out-dated. You can see it on the rules about the "The Great Citadel of Ares".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignatius MP
Spain
flag msg tools
I guess I will end buying it, but it looks to me pretty irregular, very unbalanced monuments.

First of all, monuments that are equivalent to two building of the same type should be weaker, why? Because there exists an opportunity cost. By changing two building of different type, you are more like to be in the path of a metropolys construction, and it should be taken into account; in such case you are giving up "more".

The second point is that the looks unbalanced among them:

-The great citadel of Ares is much stronger that the city of warriors.
-The military academy or de academy of naval warfare are giving to you like 2 or 1 gold at least per turn (more clearly depending on situations), and the temple of Athena gives you only one gold (it does not depend on nothing) and only in very specific situations (you are in such God and your are willing to buy a philosopher or priest).

These are very immediate and direct examples, but there are more.

In any case, I would like to try it in order to see how it really works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades has never really been a game about fine balance. The power of different actions shifts significantly throughout the game, hence the bidding.

"Can this player get a powerful monument if she wins the bidding for this god" is just another variable in the mix when it comes to estimating value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignatius MP
Spain
flag msg tools
Yes, of course the bidding mecanism serves for the auto balancing, but, taking into account that there is only one chance per monument, makes a huge difference. Bidding itself is very useful, however not that much.

There can be several situations where a player (making always rational movements) is in a very bad positiong during the bidding. Because cannot afford something, or because by paying some amount X (really high) is letting another player to get an action somehow cheap. So there are situations where a player is done, whichever the decision he makes.

And in any case, it's always better to have balanced or undecidable options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ritter wrote:
And in any case, it's always better to have balanced or undecidable options.

That's an opinion about game design upon which we will have to agree to disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignatius MP
Spain
flag msg tools
It's an opinion, yes. But I am taking as given a very important thing in games, and it is the no existence of dominant strategies (hard to prove but somehow easy to sense). Because if not, the weak strategies (options or building to do) are neglected and useless, therefore there is no need to design them. It can become frustrating for players too.

For sure, again, it's an opinion. But in case there was no clear better buildings, maybe there wouldn't be anybody complaining because of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.