Tim
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
There is no try...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this has been asked somewhere else or if this info is somewhere else, but anyway...

Has there been any word as to whether they will be releasing a 2nd Edition Big Box, and if so, when (as in, at the same time as normal release)?

Edit: link to BGG entry for Big Box II - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/216849/dominion-second-e...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Mossquito wrote:
Has there been any word as to whether they will be releasing a 2nd Edition Big Box, and if so, when (as in, at the same time as normal release)?

There will be a new version of the Big Box. It won't come out at the same time as the other stuff. I expect it this year but can't pin it down further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
There will be a new version of the Big Box. It won't come out at the same time as the other stuff. I expect it this year but can't pin it down further.

Will it still just be composed of the base game, Prosperity, and Alchemy? Or will it be remixed a bit? I guess that mixture works best since all the base cards are included and it kind of resolves the fact that Alchemy is now the only stand-alone small-format expansion.

Will the expansions have the revised card texts and rules books?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Whaleyland wrote:
Will it still just be composed of the base game, Prosperity, and Alchemy? Or will it be remixed a bit? I guess that mixture works best since all the base cards are included and it kind of resolves the fact that Alchemy is now the only stand-alone small-format expansion.

I will at least give you the hint that I'm not telling you; it's up to RGG to make these announcements.

Whaleyland wrote:
Will the expansions have the revised card texts and rules books?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Belle
msg tools
Everyone may know this already, but I think on December 5th, Rio Grande announced the big box second edition.

It contains second editions of Dominion and Intrigue, and has enough new base cards for up to 6 players.

Will have to wait for Prosperity re-print for the new Platinum cards and Colonies, though because this set just has copper, silver, gold, estate, duchy, and province cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Morningstar
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CICERO TULLY wrote:
Everyone may know this already, but I think on December 5th, Rio Grande announced the big box second edition.

It contains second editions of Dominion and Intrigue, and has enough new base cards for up to 6 players.

Will have to wait for Prosperity re-print for the new Platinum cards and Colonies, though because this set just has copper, silver, gold, estate, duchy, and province cards.

They aren't doing a second edition of Prosperity though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Morningstar_81 wrote:
CICERO TULLY wrote:

They aren't doing a second edition of Prosperity though...
But they are doing a reprint which will include cleaned-up card text and rules, and the Base Card art for Prosperity and Colony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Zawada
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Any more availability information on the Big Box II? I still see it listed for a January release on CSI, but no exact date. Also see it popping up as in stock at some Amazon/eBay vendors, but digging into those listings shows likely confusion with the first big box.

Anyone have solid date on availability/distribution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Jacksonville (Arlington)
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Alorro
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I'm curious if anybody has any insight to the breakdown of the 100 extra base cards included in this Big Box collection. For 6 players, at minimum, you would need an extra 6 Province, 6 Estate and 20 Curse cards. That leaves another 68 cards unaccounted for. If I had to guess, another 30 Copper, 20 Silver and 15 Gold cards make up 65 of the remaining 68. Leaving 3 mystery cards. It would have been great if they ended up as Duchy cards to make playing Dukes more attractive, but I have heard otherwise. I hope they aren't another 3 blank cards, to go with the dozen or so from the included base and Intrigue sets. I'd rather have DXV and his team develop cards that make sense, than me fiddling around with blanks and making a mess of things. The additional 100 base cards would seem to set a new standard of what is essentially required to play more than 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nativesonx wrote:
I'm curious if anybody has any insight to the breakdown of the 100 extra base cards included in this Big Box collection. For 6 players, at minimum, you would need an extra 6 Province, 6 Estate and 20 Curse cards. That leaves another 68 cards unaccounted for. If I had to guess, another 30 Copper, 20 Silver and 15 Gold cards make up 65 of the remaining 68. Leaving 3 mystery cards. It would have been great if they ended up as Duchy cards to make playing Dukes more attractive, but I have heard otherwise. I hope they aren't another 3 blank cards, to go with the dozen or so from the included base and Intrigue sets. I'd rather have DXV and his team develop cards that make sense, than me fiddling around with blanks and making a mess of things. The additional 100 base cards would seem to set a new standard of what is essentially required to play more than 4 players.

Other than Provinces and Curses for the Supply and Estates and Coppers for players' hands, the rest of the cards are base Treasures. I don't know the distribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that, if your math is right, then those are simply blanks. Printed sheets of Dominion cards come out on 100-card sheets (or maybe 50) so the blanks are less for you and more just a result of unequal print jobs. Even though these blanks will be added to those in Dominion and Intrigue, those will be from separate print sheets so the blanks will not overlap. Adding 3 Duchies would not make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
nativesonx wrote:
I'm curious if anybody has any insight to the breakdown of the 100 extra base cards included in this Big Box collection.

I think - but don't know for sure as I don't have a copy - that it's: 6 Province, 6 Estate, 20 Curse, 20 Copper, 30 Silver, 18 Gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
nativesonx wrote:
I'm curious if anybody has any insight to the breakdown of the 100 extra base cards included in this Big Box collection.

I think - but don't know for sure as I don't have a copy - that it's: 6 Province, 6 Estate, 20 Curse, 20 Copper, 30 Silver, 18 Gold.
I imagine a good number of folks are going to house rule 80 Copper, 70 Silver, and 48 Gold for every game... and I'm OK with that. I'd do it myself if I played with 5 players more than once a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Alorro
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
donaldx wrote:
nativesonx wrote:

Thanks Donald for your generous accessibilty. That's a pretty interesting breakdown (if those numbers are correct). It makes sense to have more extra silvers (30) than coppers (20) as the competition for money at early and mid-game will be intense with the higher player count. Assigning the remaining 3 cards to gold (18) [instead of either speculated blanks or Duchy cards] is reasonable without diluting their relative scarcity to coppers and silvers. It will be another fantastic read if you get a chance to pen another secret history post, explaining the reasoning behind the extra 100 base cards for 5-6 players and resisting the anticipated revisit to the original big box contents. Of course when Big Box II gets its own BGG entry, then it would be great to hear your game design insights. This is coming from a very recent Dominion convert (bought Kingdom Builder first due to seeing it on Tabletop). whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
nativesonx wrote:
Thanks Donald for your generous accessibilty. That's a pretty interesting breakdown (if those numbers are correct). It makes sense to have more extra silvers (30) than coppers (20) as the competition for money at early and mid-game will be intense with the higher player count. Assigning the remaining 3 cards to gold (18) [instead of either speculated blanks or Duchy cards] is reasonable without diluting their relative scarcity to coppers and silvers. It will be another fantastic read if you get a chance to pen another secret history post, explaining the reasoning behind the extra 100 base cards for 5-6 players and resisting the anticipated revisit to the original big box contents. Of course when Big Box II gets its own BGG entry, then it would be great to hear your game design insights. This is coming from a very recent Dominion convert (bought Kingdom Builder first due to seeing it on Tabletop). :whistle:

There isn't much of a story to the Big Box.

The original Big Box had nothing to do with me. For the new one I wanted to make sure not to include Alchemy. Dominion plus Intrigue sounded good because they had both just gotten new cards. That left an Alchemy-sized hole though.

The options I came up with were 1) cards for playing with 5-6; 2) a sampler of other sets; 3) promos. Jay wanted to keep promos as his way of supporting BGG. It's easy to think that the sampler might annoy some people; if you buy more expansions you have duplicates. And there's a certain charm to the 5-6 player cards. So, after much lack of debate, that one won.

I picked numbers, then they got them wrong. But the wrong numbers seemed better - they had +10 Silver, -10 Copper. Do you really need very many more Coppers beyond the +14 for starting decks? It's not too common of a thing to use them at all, and when you do it's not like you need a big pile of them (for giving out with Mountebanks or buying for Gardens etc.). So I approved the new numbers.

We could have also replaced I think 10 blanks with more treasures. However Jay liked including some blanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
There is no try...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why no Alchemy?

Not particularly fussed, just more curious than anything

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Mossquito wrote:
Why no Alchemy?

Not particularly fussed, just more curious than anything :d

Since many players cite it as their least favorite expansion, it seemed like a poor choice for something you got in the Big Box, which would often be the first thing someone bought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WHAT ARE THE 100 EXTRA BASE CARDS FROM??? Base set, or Dominion 2ed?

I've been scouring the interwebs trying to find a pic or info or something that will tell me what the extra base cards are from/look like.

The base cards (extra copper, silver, estates, etc) box that is out now has the different art on each card, but the cards included in the Dominion 2nd edition have a slightly changed/upgraded layout w/ the coin value smack dab in the middle/top of the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frog213 wrote:

I've been scouring the interwebs trying to find a pic or info or something that will tell me what the extra base cards are from/look like.

The base cards (extra copper, silver, estates, etc) box that is out now has the different art on each card, but the cards included in the Dominion 2nd edition have a slightly changed/upgraded layout w/ the coin value smack dab in the middle/top of the card.

The extra cards are not "from" anything. They are unique to the Big Box. The new Big Box is Second Edition, so the texts are Second Edition and the designs are Second Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
frog213 wrote:

The extra cards are not "from" anything. They are unique to the Big Box. The new Big Box is Second Edition, so the texts are Second Edition and the designs are Second Edition.

Thanks, that sorta answered my question. Sorry I didn't phrase it better. I just don't want to buy the big box 2nd ed and get 2nd edition supply cards ($ and VP) and supply cards from the "base set." The art won't match completely.

In other words, do all of the treasure and VP cards look like this?

[ImageID=https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3242377/dominion-second-edit...]

[ImageID=https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3242380/dominion-second-edit...]

EDIT: I couldn't get it to just display the images, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they will all look like that. They are just adding enough supply cards, though, for 5-6 players, so there will be no new Province, Potion, or Colony cards included. New versions of those will appear in their respective expansions when they are next printed, as well as in the new Base Cards reprint, when that becomes available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Ross
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I can confirm, having counted them out from our copy of BigBox-II to answer a similar question on reddit a few weeks ago.
All of the additional 100 cards look like 2nd Edition Cards.

That brings the totals to:

Card |Base |+BB2 |Total
Province |12 |+6 |18
Duchy |12 |+0 |12
Estate |24 |+6 |30
Curse |30 |+20 |50
Copper |60 |+20 |80
Silver |40 |+30 |70
Gold |30 |+18 |48

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jacobmross wrote:
I can confirm, having counted them out from our copy of BigBox-II to answer a similar question on reddit a few weeks ago.

Card |Base |+BB2 |Total
Province |12 |+6 |18
Duchy |12 |+0 |12
Estate |24 |+6 |30
Curse |30 |+20 |50
Copper |60 |+20 |80
Silver |40 |+30 |70
Gold |30 |+18 |48

That treasure card count seems different from what was needed for 6-player setup in the 1st edition. Specifically, I thought the supply setup for a 6-player game was:

60 Gold
80 Silver
120 Copper (78 after the 42 going to 6 player's starting hands)

Have I had that wrong all this time, or did I miss a post or some other update on that somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GymProFit wrote:
jacobmross wrote:

Card |Base |+BB2 |Total
Province |12 |+6 |18
Duchy |12 |+0 |12
Estate |24 |+6 |30
Curse |30 |+20 |50
Copper |60 |+20 |80
Silver |40 |+30 |70
Gold |30 |+18 |48

That treasure card count seems different from what was needed for 6-player setup in the 1st edition. Specifically, I thought the supply setup for a 6-player game was:

60 Gold
80 Silver
120 Copper (78 after the 42 going to 6 player's starting hands)

Have I had that wrong all this time, or did I miss a post or some other update on that somewhere?

You weren't wrong, it's just that it's not super important how many of each basic Treasure is available, as long as there's enough for most games. So it's valid to either use e.g. 80 Coppers or 120 Coppers, whatever you have on hand. Just don't add more copies in the middle of a game, since those piles do count for end-game conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.