$30.00
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb

Overview:
Garrison is a sci-fi-themed solo game where you are tasked to protect a city from threats that are forming around its borders. Utilize the abilities of your troops and civilian volunteers to build small but efficient strike teams to eliminate threats one by one before they lay siege to the city. Beware though, not only should you battle enemies outside the city gates, but traitors disloyal to your cause lurk in the shadows within as well. The odds are against you. Prepare for war.

Designer:
James Ronald Lo (countdown321)

Players:
1 player (Solo Baby!)

Play Time:
10 to 15 minutes

Components:
Card size: 1.75" x 2.5"
1 x Rules Sheet
4 x Officer cards
4 x Acolyte cards
10 x Threat cards
10 x Sentry cards
12 x Soldier cards
14 x Support cards

Pictures:

FILES

Rules Sheet Updated 121216
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2sKtJEx0OkJVmZmRE54Tkl3SUU...

Components (5 Pages including Mint Tin lid graphic)Updated 121216
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2sKtJEx0OkJVmxObGZhQjYyWm8...

Components (Alternate)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2sKtJEx0OkJUmZPZEpHUm14czQ...

THIS SPACE IS RESERVED FOR POST-CONTEST FILES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: [WIP] Garrison: A Solo Game (2016 Mint Tin Design Contest) - IDEA PHASE
Still cleaning this up, but I thought I'd share while I finalize Do let me know if it's clear so far. I'd appreciate feedback if possible.
Note to self: I wish I knew how to place bullets/numbers in the forums.

OBJECTIVE
Eliminate all threats one after the other. Use the cards in your hand and their abilities to assemble strike teams with a combined combat rating equal to or greater than the active threat's rating. The game ends if you are unable to defeat a threat or if you can no longer draw any cards from your garrison.

SETUP (EASY MODE)
Choose an Officer card - Put the rest of the Officers back in the box. This will be the character you'll be playing as during this game session. You may use the ability of your Officer as many times as possible and at any time during a round, as long as the cost to use the ability can be paid.

Shuffle 4 Threat cards, exclude the Advance Party card, randomly into a deck. After shuffling, place it face down in front of you then place the Advance Party card on top of face up - This will be your Threat deck. The topmost card of the Threat deck is called the Active Threat card.

Shuffle the 40-card Recruit Deck and set it aside. Draw 5 cards, in case you draw any Enemy Spy cards, shuffle them back into the deck and replace them by drawing new cards. This will be your starting hand. 5 is your maximum hand size.

THE TURN SEQUENCE (WIP)
1) Resolve any card effects prompted by the Active Threat card. Ignore this step during turn one.

2) Determine the Combat Rating of the Active Threat card.

3) Start playing cards and place them on the Field, resolve any card abilities as you play them. Combat points are generated whenever soldier cards are played on the Field. Then add all the combat points generated at the end of a turn. The cards played on the Field represent the Strike Team you are preparing to send off to a mission to defeat the Active Threat.

4) If the total Combat Rating equals or exceeds the Active Threat's Combat Rating, you succeed in defeating the threat. If so, place your Attack Squad in the Mission Pile.

5) Draw up to your 5 cards (max hand size).

6) Place any Enemy Spy cards in the Enemy Spy pile. Each revealed Spy card in the pile acts as an additional bonus point to the Active Threat card's combat rating.

7) Place the recently-defeated Threat card face down in the Threat Bonus pile. Similar to cards in the Spy pile, each face down Threat card in the bonus pile adds 1 point to the Active Threat card's combat rating.

8) Start the next round and repeat steps 1 to 8 until you defeat all the Threats or lose the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice Turner
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Sounds interesting

Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks very cool, I like the name and the logo is very slick and clean. I am curious, Are you leaning toward making a tower defence style game?
Unfortunately I can only playtest solo games, so this might be a very interesting option for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the subscribe, I'll be posting more about the game in the next few days, just prepping components and instructions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey Martin,

Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated.

Not really a tower defense type, however it might sound that way. It plays similar to a deck builder without the in-game deck building aspect.

I was trying to replicate the feeling of "Magic: the Puzzling" LOL e.g. It's your turn, your opponent is just waiting for you to finish it so he can beat the crap out of you during his. Unless you pull a miracle out of the cards that you have at this tie, you'll surely lose the game - What do you do?

Well sir, this is definitely a solo game. I do hope you are able to test it out. Feedback would be greatly appreciated

Internal playtest sessions show that the game is easy to pick up, but hard-ish to master. I'm hoping other solo gamers who care to look in this direction, appreciate that aspect, since it's also one of the things that I look for in a solo game session.

I'm going to start posting updates in batches, as I finish a group of components. Just so you get a better feel of how the game is shaping up.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Turner
United Kingdom
Romsey
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to seeing this one develop - count me in for playtesting

Edit: Looks like my wife has already volunteered - bonus! Less printing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Stuartt wrote:
Looking forward to seeing this one develop - count me in for playtesting

Edit: Looks like my wife has already volunteered - bonus! Less printing

Sounds like a plan. I'm just about done with the components and cleaning up the rules sheet

Aaaand way "Stuartt's wife" (would that be Janice by any chance?) I shall aim to make the components easy to prepare
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
I worked on the components last weekend, at some point, I decided to scale down the card size to 2" x 3" instead of the 2" x 3.5" because I didn't want anyone who'd try out the game to have to cut the corners of the business card-sized ones, just to make sure it fits a mint tin can; it's just much too tedious. Thankfully, the copy for each card fit well enough.

I also changed the card design to be even more printer-friendly; also because I doubt the colored illustrations will make it to the deadline due to work stuff LOL

What do you think so far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just preparing the components for printing. 6 pages of 10 cards each. The last card just has 4 - I decided to leave space in case any of the play testers have any card suggestions Happy to add any good ones that turn up.

Looking forward to some feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your artwork looks wonderful and I'd love to see a color version at the end.

It looks like there are a lot of cards of the same type. Will they have different values?

Also, if possible, try to stick to the standard card sizes so if someone wishes to print/sleeve the cards they will be able to. Just a thought.

Keep up the great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Must be nice to be able to create nice looking artwork. Cards looked like they had too much text though. If they can be simplified it would be great.

Overall, looks like it is worth keeping an eye on as it looks promising. Hope you this project through completion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have never tried a deckbuilder, but this might just be my 1st as its solo, low components and I really like the theme. Can't wait to see the rules. I was also pleasantly surprised by your talented artwork and somewhat jealous Keep it up.

Quote:
Cards looked like they had too much text though

I do agree with Austin here. Specifically the "Acolyte" card. Maybe you can add icons and/or condense it abit?

Quote:
Overall, looks like it is worth keeping an eye on as it looks promising

Once again I agree. Look foward to the next update!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janice Turner
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
I wish I could draw like that!! I have a fondness for the simplicity of black and white/pencil outline style art but would also love to see at least 1 full colour card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
R4D6 wrote:
I think your artwork looks wonderful and I'd love to see a color version at the end.

It looks like there are a lot of cards of the same type. Will they have different values?

Also, if possible, try to stick to the standard card sizes so if someone wishes to print/sleeve the cards they will be able to. Just a thought.

Keep up the great work!

Hi @RFD6, thanks for the feedback.

I was actually set on using biz card size for the cards - the corners just have to be cut up to fit inside the tin; but I was trying to avoid people from having to have to do that, it's too tedious in my view.

Since you brought it up, I'll see if I can make everything fit in mini-sized cards 1.75" x 2.5" this way, it will actually be even more printer friendly since I can fit 18 cards in a letter-sized sheet instead of just 9 or 10 - thanks for the suggestion

And to answer your question, most cards have one copy, some cards have doubles, one have 6, and what you saw in my post are 4 - those are the acolytes who you'll learn to hate once you play the game LOL - all part of the challenge though.

I have logical reasons for having variances in card number, which I hope I can make clear once I release the components; should be sometime this week, latest early next - I'll have to do a bit of layout adjustments since I'll try the size switch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey Austin,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, it's just that one card that has the wall of text. Good thing though, I've recently figured out a way to fix that problem.

As for the art, unfortunately I can't take the credit for it. I collaborated with an artist friend on this one since I wanted to focus on game design while she did the lines.

She prefers to be anonymous until she is able to finish the art. And yes, I'm jealous of her skills as well - that girl can draw. I dabble in art once in a while, but I'm definitely not at her level LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
dravvin wrote:
I wish I could draw like that!! I have a fondness for the simplicity of black and white/pencil outline style art but would also love to see at least 1 full colour card

I know, I wish the same thing. I posted earlier about my artist friend doing those illustrations. I'll make sure to tell her that her stuff is appreciated very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
melbards wrote:
I have never tried a deckbuilder, but this might just be my 1st as its solo, low components and I really like the theme. Can't wait to see the rules. I was also pleasantly surprised by your talented artwork and somewhat jealous Keep it up.

Quote:
Cards looked like they had too much text though

I do agree with Austin here. Specifically the "Acolyte" card. Maybe you can add icons and/or condense it abit?

Quote:
Overall, looks like it is worth keeping an eye on as it looks promising

Once again I agree. Look foward to the next update!

Very sorry, only "sort of" like a deckbuilder, although it has the same feel to it though. "Sort of" because if this game does well, I'd try to print it and include more card options for players to customize their garrison decks VS new threat decks, all for different flavors of solo fun.

Yes sire, definitely, I shall labor to condense that gigantic wall of text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
54 cards, all in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello!

Drafts of the rules sheet and printer-friendly components are now available. Download links can be found in the first post of this thread. Many thanks in advance for anyone who tries out the game. I'm looking forward to feedback if any.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: [WIP] Garrison: A Solo Game (2016 Mint Tin Design Contest) - COMPONENT READY
I couldn't resist joining this years 18-card micro game contest. In case you're interested, check out the WIP here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1653317/wip-garrison-ar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Garrison: A Solo Game (2016 Mint Tin Design Contest) - COMPONENT READY
I love the theme and the art! I haven't given the mechanics a spin yet though.

My attraction to games is:
25% Theme
25% Art
50% Mechanics

Subscribed...to both of these garrison games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wack
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I did a first quick playtest today, here are some random thoughts, before something more thorough.

Rules : it's a bit surprising that you're not told how many threats to select, maybe give at least an advice for a first game. Also, the "Advance Party" is supposed to be the Scouting Party actually, right ?

Officers : is the "place 2/3 sentry apprentices in your infirmary" supposed to be a cost to pay to activate the ability ? If so, it seems a bit hard to activate, since you need to hamper your hand by storing unused apprentices until you gather as many as needed. But maybe I was not lucky enough to draw them early in the game.

Can Task Droid copy Local Militia (i.e. is it an ability or a combat rating) ? I'd say no, but I'm not entirely sure.

I did not go through more than 5 threats, but it seems to me that you can get an infinite engine by copying Rally Crier with a Task Droid, wash rince and repeat. But then the end game condition where your deck is exhausted should virtually never happen. Is this intended ?

On a more anecdotic note, I was playing in the streetcar. It moves very steadily in my town, but still, I had everything in my hands, and no place to lay cards down except maybe drop some on my knees when needed. It worked surprisingly well ! A bit fiddly (for instance I was putting threats below my deck in my left hand, upside down when defeated) and I had no easy way to reshuffle the deck, but still doable.

I'll try a more complete game soon at coffee break with a desk to lay cards down, it should at least let me make better use of the infirmary.

EDIT : Oh, and the art is superb as it is, I'd really consider staying with the black & white outline style if I were you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quinarbre wrote:
Hi,

I did a first quick playtest today, here are some random thoughts, before something more thorough.

Rules : it's a bit surprising that you're not told how many threats to select, maybe give at least an advice for a first game. Also, the "Advance Party" is supposed to be the Scouting Party actually, right ?

Officers : is the "place 2/3 sentry apprentices in your infirmary" supposed to be a cost to pay to activate the ability ? If so, it seems a bit hard to activate, since you need to hamper your hand by storing unused apprentices until you gather as many as needed. But maybe I was not lucky enough to draw them early in the game.

Can Task Droid copy Local Militia (i.e. is it an ability or a combat rating) ? I'd say no, but I'm not entirely sure.

I did not go through more than 5 threats, but it seems to me that you can get an infinite engine by copying Rally Crier with a Task Droid, wash rince and repeat. But then the end game condition where your deck is exhausted should virtually never happen. Is this intended ?

On a more anecdotic note, I was playing in the streetcar. It moves very steadily in my town, but still, I had everything in my hands, and no place to lay cards down except maybe drop some on my knees when needed. It worked surprisingly well ! A bit fiddly (for instance I was putting threats below my deck in my left hand, upside down when defeated) and I had no easy way to reshuffle the deck, but still doable.

I'll try a more complete game soon at coffee break with a desk to lay cards down, it should at least let me make better use of the infirmary.

EDIT : Oh, and the art is superb as it is, I'd really consider staying with the black & white outline style if I were you.

Hey Benjamin,

Many thanks for having a go at it. Your feedback is very much appreciated. Some answers for further clarity, just so your next "garrison" run plays better.

Number of threat cads for easy mode:
The number of threat cards for EASY MODE is 5 including the advance party card. I think I accidentally erased that from the rules sheet, I will fix that in my next update. Yes, that IS the scouting party - I have got to stop editing on the fly.

Officer abilities
Yes, they are activation costs, all "sacrificed" apprentices should come from the mission pile, not your hand. Someone already pointed that out during a playtest, I forgot to include it, I'll fix that too. Those abilities should read:

"Place 2/3 entry apprentices FROM YOUR MISSION PILE into your infirmary..."

Task Droids CAN NOT copy combat ratings.
You are correct.

Infinite possibilities?
Yes, the intention IS for players to recycle their mission piles - thematically, it's like you're calling back your strike teams to regroup. If you don't keep an eye on your "recycling" cards, you'll end up running out of troops and eventually lose the game.

The game actually didn't have a task bot before, but a playtester also commented that the game was too frustratingly hard without it. Especially when bodies start piling up in the infirmary.

Playing in the streetcar
I'm glad you noticed! I wanted this game to be easy to set up, use very little table space, and easy to put away. I hope to the do the same or all the other games I design in the future. I imagine that a lot of people are busy enough with life as it is that they'd appreciate a game to pick up and play anywhere, with very little setup time. Big box games with a bunch of components are great, but sometimes you just want to play.

For your future coffee breaks
Once you're more used to the card abilities and the system, I HIGHLY recommend you try HARD MODE - 10 threat cards, no officers

Visuals
Thanks. I partnered up with an artist friend. I don't think she'll be able to finish all the card art by the time the contest ends, so we'll probably stick with the line art. I'll likely make some improvements on the graphic design though i.e. frames, layout, etc.

I will post some completed art as an update from time to time because we do want to complete this project even after the contest. Maybe release the final version of the game with complete art as a POD, I dunno, we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ronald Lo
Philippines
TAGUIG
METRO MANILA
flag msg tools
mbmb
I went ahead and corrected the component and rules sheet files. Thanks again for the feedback.

BTW, IMPRESSIVE what you did playing the game on the street car with just your hands. I can only imagine how you managed to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.