Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When launching a game on Kickstarter, how do people decide what they should charge for their game?
I have rough costings for my game including production costs, postage and shipping but no idea what to actually charge for the game.

My game will either have
45 cards, which includes enough cards for 3 decks (30 characters across 3 guilds with 15 numbered cards)
30 cards, which includes enough cards for 1 deck (15 characters across 3 guilds with 15 numbered cards)

What other variables are used to determine the cost for backers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Overhead cost + opportunity cost and then determine minimum profits. Then set a price accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stockwell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The simpliest quick-and-dirty rule for pricing is 5x your production cost. For a KS campaign, since you're asking people for money up-front, you'll probably discount that 20% (or at least 10%) -- unless the KS version has some neat exclusives which the retail version won't.

You should also compare your product to similar ones already out, to get a base price.

The single best resource on KS+tabletop gaming is Jamey Stegmaier (Stonemaier Games) -- he blogs extensively on the topic.

Main link: http://stonemaiergames.com/kickstarter/lessons/

Link to an entry on pricing: http://stonemaiergames.com/kickstarter-lesson-59-the-myth-of...

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
A good rule of thumb is that your distributor price is double your costs. That gives you a safety margin, and a potential for profit.

Note that many producers have minimum orders, or a point where costs per unit drop notably when you order "enough". Figure your Kickstarter Funding Target based on those figures.

cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And to add to all of the insightful comments above:

Once you "do the math" and apply the various formula to determine your price, then you have to figure out if that's actually a fair price. In other words, if 5x your production cost generates a price that nobody would reasonably be willing to pay, then you have to figure out ways to bring the production cost down.

I find it helpful to take your prototype/demo copy to a con. Get some demos/playtesting in, then just ask the players what they think would be a fair price for a game like this, assuming the artwork and quality were all polished and finished. People tend to be very forthcoming and honest about what they think is fair.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
A good rule of thumb is that your distributor price is double your costs.

...and then the retail price that the final customer would pay is 2.5x the distributor price, or 5x your costs. That's probably not obvious if you haven't sold a game to distributors before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taela Sky
msg tools
designer78 wrote:
And to add to all of the insightful comments above:

Once you "do the math" and apply the various formula to determine your price, then you have to figure out if that's actually a fair price. In other words, if 5x your production cost generates a price that nobody would reasonably be willing to pay, then you have to figure out ways to bring the production cost down.

I find it helpful to take your prototype/demo copy to a con. Get some demos/playtesting in, then just ask the players what they think would be a fair price for a game like this, assuming the artwork and quality were all polished and finished. People tend to be very forthcoming and honest about what they think is fair.

Good luck!

I agree. Though once you have that price you still need to make sure that you can reasonably produce and ship the game for that price.

I've been putting together a blog on what I have had to look at as far as preparing for KickStarter. You may find it helpful.

https://xenofera.com/blog/2016/9/18/preparing-for-a-kickstar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting answers, I will be sure to keep them in mind when I make the final decisions.

taelasky wrote:

Your site has a certificate error. It is for another domain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taela Sky
msg tools
kirkatronics wrote:
Interesting answers, I will be sure to keep them in mind when I make the final decisions.

taelasky wrote:

I bet that was because I modified the squarespace link. This should resolve that.

http://www.xenofera.com/blog/2016/9/18/preparing-for-a-kicks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taelasky wrote:
kirkatronics wrote:

taelasky wrote:

I bet that was because I modified the squarespace link. This should resolve that.

http://www.xenofera.com/blog/2016/9/18/preparing-for-a-kicks...

I will give it a read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Twu
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
From what I've seen:

- Check other games on Kickstarter to see what people will pay for a game of similar value. This is the price you'll want to sell at. Too high and few will buy, too low and you won't cover your costs.

- Ideally the cost of producing the game should be about 1/2 the retail price. This is useful both to cover art costs, taxes, other overhead, and also, if you decide to sell to retail stores later, as most will buy it from you at 1/2 the retail price.
- Kickstarter price should be 10% less than retail OR have exclusive bonus content.
- Reduce the number/size/cost of components if the math doesn't work.
- Most of your profit will come from special high-value rewards, i.e. people who pay to name a character

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crispin Moakler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
A classic business model is 4 times total cost.
This gives;

25% - Costs
25% - Your margin
25% - Retailer/Distributor/Agent margin
25% - Available for special offers (KS discount), unexpected costs etc.

The problem with asking 'how much for my KS' is that people can be doing a number of things.

1 - I want to create my lifelong dream so I am topping up a private investment and asking for less than the actual cost.

2 - Full on moneymaking business idea (my numbers presume this)

3 - A different model, the KS will cover the production costs of 10K models if it sells 3K to 5K leaving me with a saleable stock of 5-7K.
In this model the surplus cash from purchases over 3K go to improve quality. It's a model that can work for existing companies/shops.

4 - This is a hobby/ego trip so I only need to cover my costs and will never re=print so I only need the precise quantity bought on KS (but add 10% for lost/damaged products).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.