14 Posts

BattleCON: Fate of Indines» Forums » General

Subject: Easy to learn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Neuville

Wisconsin
msg tools
Every time a new edition of this game comes out it renews my interest in it but for whatever reason I haven't bought anything yet. I think a big reason is just not knowing how easy it is to get into and play. Any thoughts on this? Once you know the core mechanics is it easy to play any character and have fun doing so or do you really have to learn every new character well before getting much out them? I would just be playing casually with my girlfriend and hopefully my kids are some point. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffeeGeek1023 wrote:
Every time a new edition of this game comes out it renews my interest in it but for whatever reason I haven't bought anything yet. I think a big reason is just not knowing how easy it is to get into and play. Any thoughts on this? Once you know the core mechanics is it easy to play any character and have fun doing so or do you really have to learn every new character well before getting much out them? I would just be playing casually with my girlfriend and hopefully my kids are some point. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

It depends on the character you're playing!

Some characters take a lot of practice to do well with (someone like Seth), but characters like Cadenza and Eligor are easy candidates for getting to have fun without too much work/practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Fate is unfortunately one of the more complicated set of fighters. Generally War is considered to have the best ramp when it comes to fighter complexity. Devastation has the best selection. No idea where trials is going to sit, maybe one of the playtesters can speak to that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trials is comparable to War in terms of complexity, I'd say. Probably a tiny bit more complicated at the low end and a tiny bit less complicated at the high end. Burgundy and Dareios in particular require a good bit of focus, but the rest are very reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
georgeofjungle3 wrote:
So Fate is unfortunately one of the more complicated set of fighters.

This is frustrating to me as I purchased Fate off of the Kickstarter statement that it would be a great place for new players to get started and try out the game without a lot of monetary investment.

Any suggestions on which Fate fighters would be best for newbies trying to learn the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Garza
United States
Visalia
ca
flag msg tools
mbmb
The following characters are considered to be flight 1, the lowest complexity:

Baenvier Marlgrove
Lord Eustace
Jager Brandtford
Sarafina Vanedran
Thessala Three

I would agree that these characters are lower complexity, some allow for more straightforward play than others, of particular note I think Thessala Three and Jager are the two most straightforward.

You could learn the game with any of the characters, but to minimize the overhead of learning rules and special abilities I'd probably go with Thessala and Jager for the first few games.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would personally try a print and play first. The Kickstarter going on now gives you the option. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/battlecon-...

It is not that difficult to learn, but the real enjoyment from the game comes after multiple plays. With the Print and Play you can test it out to see if you, your SO, and your kids enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madpaintballer wrote:

Baenvier Marlgrove
Lord Eustace
Jager Brandtford
Sarafina Vanedran
Thessala Three

I would agree that these characters are lower complexity, some allow for more straightforward play than others, of particular note I think Thessala Three and Jager are the two most straightforward.

You could learn the game with any of the characters, but to minimize the overhead of learning rules and special abilities I'd probably go with Thessala and Jager for the first few games.

Have fun!

Oh man trying to keep track of those bonuses with thesalla would be hard for a new player. She' is otherwise really straight forward though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Msmith10000 wrote:
I would personally try a print and play first. The Kickstarter going on now gives you the option. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/battlecon-...

It is not that difficult to learn, but the real enjoyment from the game comes after multiple plays. With the Print and Play you can test it out to see if you, your SO, and your kids enjoy the game.

Yeah, if you are willing to do so this is a great choice, because they are some pretty good learning characters. Heck if you are willing to cover shipping i could send you my old one from the last kickstarter, you'd need to resleeve it but that still pretty cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the offer! I kind of want to play with the game I purchased though, so I'll give the recommended characters from Fate a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Altropos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy to learn? You betcha. I can teach you to play inside of 5 minutes. And that cartoon hosted tutorial in the book isn't bad either.

And while it looks like there are a lot of steps in a beat, it flows so easily that be the time you're done with your second match it'll be second nature to you. This game will take you as far as you want it to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madpaintballer wrote:

Baenvier Marlgrove
Lord Eustace
Jager Brandtford
Sarafina Vanedran
Thessala Three

Have fun!

I would like to interject and say that a character being in flight 1 doesn't mean they're easy to play. Just that their mechanics aren't complex/hard to understand.

Sarafina's a very "simple" character. None of her cards do crazy things that break the game. However, giving her to a newbie is a complete death sentence. She's SUPER hard to play. So much so that I'd dare say that she's one of the hardest to play in Fate.

A lot of this has to do with her abusing mix-ups to win games. She will dominate if she reads well and lose hard if she doesn't. Not a recommended beginner character.

By the way, the same goes for Eustace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you would recommend Baenvier, Jager, and Thessala. Anyone else from Fate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Garza
United States
Visalia
ca
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree with Marcos. I was hesitant to put that list there because it does oversimplify the question. You not only want characters that are straightforeward to learn but don't need a deep knowledge of the game to do well with. I could give eustace to someone and while they wouldn't have too much trouble figuring out how he works, they are probably not going to have a good time.

Baenvir is easy to use, but he can be hard to counter for a newbie, which can lead to the non-Baenvir player being frustrated; it's why I didn't include him in the recommended toons.

In my experience, most people are able to learn the game enough to be comfortable with most characters pretty quickly. It's not a complex game mechanics wise.

You could also try doing a game or two with just the standard bases, no styles, unique bases or any other fancy stuff. That should help you get a good grasp for fundamentals too, those bases are really the core of the game.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.