Four Against Darkness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wizard and the spells rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rubens carvalho
msg tools
Hi there,

I have some questions about how use the spells with the wizard

1- at the begin of the game I choose 3 spells. If I use one of these, will I cast the spell like a scroll?

2- there is a book where the wizard can write some magic from the scrolls... but what the vantage to do this?

3- are the 3 spells you begin on his memori or on the spell book?

I realy don't understand the rules about how to use the magic with wizard

(sorry about some wrong phrase, my english is terrible)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked this of Andrea in an email and this was his reply:

Andrea wrote:
Can wizards memorize multiple copies of the same spell?

Yes. A wizard could go into a dungeon with three Sleep spells if you want. Or three Fireballs. The number of spells is NOT the number of spells that the wizard knows, it is the number of total uses of any of the six spells that the wizard has memorized.

Essentially a wizard knows ALL the basic spells (all 6 of them) at the start of the game. This make sense?

EDIT: It looks likes this is now in the FAQ section of the rules on page 64.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rubens carvalho
msg tools
So, I choose 3 spells (3 fireballs) and I can cast this spell only 3 times... after this I need to find some scroll, or my wizard needs to became lvl 2, to be able to cast some new spell.

If I'm right, this answers my question 1. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Urgo
United States
Wanaque
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you have 3 spells per dungeon. So, you don't have to level up to get the 3 spells again. You just need to escape the dungeon, live another day, and start a new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buffburgo wrote:
I believe you have 3 spells per dungeon. So, you don't have to level up to get the 3 spells again. You just need to escape the dungeon, live another day, and start a new game.

Yes, but to add to this, if you do level up while you are in the dungeon, then you do get an additional spell which you can cast in that dungeon. Then, the next dungeon you explore, you will now have 4 spells to cast (at lvl 2).

At least that's how I understand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolf07 wrote:
So, I choose 3 spells (3 fireballs) and I can cast this spell only 3 times... after this I need to find some scroll, or my wizard needs to became lvl 2, to be able to cast some new spell.

Correct!

I think there are three things:
1. All the spells the wizard knows (spellbook)
2. The spells he has memorised for the adventure
3. Scrolls with spells written on which are discovered

I would visualise it like this:

- he has a spellbook which contains all the basic spells he knows
- spells are extremely complicated - so he can't cast them from the spell book in combat, he has to memorise them. He can memorise three before an adventure - or more at higher levels.
- Casting a spell removes it from memory (maybe its very tiring so he has to focus more to remember the others).
- If he finds a scroll he can cast a rough and ready version, but it destroys the scroll - or spend some time committing it to his spellbook (to memorise later)
- When he levels up he has been studying another spell which instantly becomes available in his memory to use

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolf07 wrote:

Also question 3, right? The wizard starts with all the basic spells in their spell book.

About question 2, if the character finds a scroll containing a *new* spell (i.e. a spell not contained in the main rules, say from an expansion or adventure), and makes it out of the dungeon with this scroll, then the character can copy the spell into their spell book. This enables the character to use this spell in future adventures, in the same way that they can currently use the 6 basic spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wsmithjr wrote:
Yes, but to add to this, if you do level up while you are in the dungeon, then you do get an additional spell which you can cast in that dungeon. Then, the next dungeon you explore, you will now have 4 spells to cast (at lvl 2).

At least that's how I understand it.

You're right about that

From the FAQ, page 65-66 wrote:
They can add a spell straight away. It is assumed that the wizard was studying the spell while adventuring but lacked the raw mental power or confidence to use it. As soon as the new spell is added, the wizard realizes that he is ready to use the new spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rubens carvalho
msg tools
Thanks, all of you help me a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.