Subject: Terror & The Terror Die rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

As shown by some of the ratings & comments, this aspect of the game is not being played correctly by all. Here is a quote from JJL on the KS page to reference:

@Kieran - Yes, I feel some people are playing incorrectly. I will update the FAQ on the website to help explain. Thanks for noticing this Kieran. To clarify, other than for the circumstances below, the Terror Die is rarely moved.

1. Starting Threat Level
At the start of the game, the Terror Die is rolled by the starting player to set the initial Terror Count. This occurs only once, at the start of each game. This roll results in certain cards being added to your discard pile according to "Starting Threat Level" in Chapter 4 of the rulebook.

2. Skeletal Soldiers
This Invader triggers the roll of the Terror Die when it appears. This sets a new Terror Count but has no effect on the "Starting Terror Count".

3. Terror Count Increase
During the game, the Terror Die increases in number each time Terror cards move from your hand, into your discard pile. Example: If 2 Terror cards move from your hand to the discard pile, the Terror Die is increased by +2.

I can definitely see the game not being a lot of fun if everyone is rolling the dice every turn and reusing the starting terror level chart. Fortunately, that is NOT how the game was designed to be played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I've been considering this.
I have Shadowrift so not sure I need this one.
If I do, I have a question about this Terror Die...

1) Reviews I saw don't show Skeletal Soldiers with any text...no need to change the Terror Die. And I didn't find it in the rulebook.

(also some videos show gaining a Terror card causes the Dice to go up one, but the rulebook clearly says only when the Terror card leaves your hand... correct?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey jgb7!

I also have Shadowrift and the one big difference other than the Shadowrift rules are rough, when compared to Draconis is that Shadowrift is co-operative and Draconis is competitive. So definitely room for both.

The final on Skeletal Soldier reads: "REVEALED: Attacking player rolls the Terror Die to set new Terror Count. If the Skull appears, reveal an Event."

At the VERY START of the game, the Terror Die is rolled and the Starting Threat Level chart is consulted and followed. Other than this one time or with the Skeletal Soldiers, you are correct and the Terror Count only increases when a Terror Card is discarded to the discard pile.

Hope this helps and thanks for asking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you mate. That final card text makes all the difference (grin).

Yes, to date, Shadowrift was the most flavorful and engaging fantasy DB out there, IMHO.

Only thing is I only Solo play, but, the focus, and how the enemy "attacks" are completely different it seems between games -- regardless of competitive/cooperative.

Now, if I could just find a Kickstarter Pledge game (especially Victory, and one with add ons)... I love variety in a solo game and Victory level seems to have really included some nice exclusive sets of cards meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.