Popular Tags: [View All]
Dosky A
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!

I try to keep my unplayed game pile to a minimum. This means I'm playing at least one new game every week. I usually post an update to Facebook about the game I have played, my thoughts on it and pictures of all the components. Recently a work colleague commented that he thought I might have OCD in relation to my Board Gaming Hobby. I was a little bit upset by the comment but it did get me thinking about how many unplayed games I own.

Rather than consult people who aren't interested in the hobby I'm curious to know what YOU limit your unplayed pile too (if at all). At the moment I try not to let it get above 10 games *conditions apply! (I don't include games that require 3+ players in this total as my husband is my main gaming partner and it's difficult to organise game nights with other people).

My other guilty secret is that I have a copy of Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients & Swamps of Death that I have owned since the kickstarter and haven't played. I have an excuse though, I am 50% through painting the figs and I don't want to start a game until I'm finished!

So women/men of BGG how many unplayed games are you hoarding? and what game/s have you had for years that haven't made their way to your table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We recently (a month ago?) bought Five Tribes, Lords of Waterdeep, and Sushi Go Party, all of which we'd played before and wanted to own, but due to busy schedules we haven't played any of them yet! We've had a dear friend come to our board game nights recently, and spent a lot of time chatting since we don't see her very often, which means not so much in ways of new games, or large quantity of games. We also haven't played 7 Wonders: Duel yet, which is weird, since we've had it longer!

That said, this is the longest we've had games go unplayed (except Catan: Seafarers, which I had for like two years because I was played out on Catan and received it as a gift - it really adds a ton to the game though so I would 100% recommend it if it interests you and you've overplayed Catan!), as I'm usually very particular at playing all my games too. I'm hoping to play some this week!! I completely feel your need to keep unplayed to a minimum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any unplayed base games. I try and not purchase anything new if I have anything unplayed although sometimes a pre-order or KS might show up on its own.

However I do have 2 unplayed expansions, at this time. (The Rococo Jewelry expansion & Exotica for Eminent Domain)

For context, I have about 100 games. And for whatever its worth... if you finally get Shadows of Brimstone to the table and realize you don't like it, I'd be happy to take a fully painted set off your hands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We set up Panamax and read through the rules, but haven't played an actual game yet.

The Board Game Geek Game... but I didn't buy it to play it necessarily, just to have it.

Fast Football... a vintage game that was in the family, not something I really intended to play.

Sherlock Holmes (thrifted copy) - would like to try sometime.

A couple more gifts and expansions, but in terms of new games we bought, intending to play, and haven't yet, I think it's only Panamax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cookie Monster
Belgium
De Pinte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Way too many games are unplayed in my collection :-( I am a collector, always attracted to a new game that I just absolutely NEED to buy. But then it sits there on my shelf... 2013 was the first year I went to Essen Spiel, I bought a bunch of games there, and I still haven't played all of those.

I hate myself for that. So recently I try to get games played more often. Because I noticed that with all the new and shiny games on my shelves, I tend to play a new game once, and then move on to the next new thing. And that's a shame, because a lot of games only shine after a couple of plays. So I decided to join the 10x10 challenge this year. So far, it looks like I'm going to fail, because I wasn't careful enough in my selection of 10 games: I included some games I hadn't played before, but turned out really boring (to me) after 3 plays, so no way I'm going to make it to 10 plays of those games I don't like.

My plan for next year: join the 10x10 challenge again, but with a more thought through list of games that have already passed the first test.

Another thing I tried was joining a challenge where you don't buy new games for a year (or limit yourself to a (low) number of new games). I already failed that challenge in February blush

A selection of my unplayed games:
King & Assassins (bought at Essen Spiel 2013)
Concordia (which is supposedly a very good game!)
Glass Road
Targi (game that was sooooo high on my wishlist, my secret santa 2014 gave it to me, and I'm ashamed to admit it still hasn't made it to the table...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'll be the odd one out, looking at the other replies so far. Not counting expansions, or children's games that I primarily acquired as a vocabulary learning/teaching tool, my number sits at about 300.
Yes, 300 unplayed games. And I'm fine with it.

A lot of them were thrift store, flea market and ebay purchases for € 1-5. I find it difficult to resist a great deal. Some of them are games that are hard to find where I live, so I took the opportunity to get a copy while I could. Many of them are small card games, but there are many larger ones, too. A significant number are multiplayer games that I bought before deciding to focus mainly on games that can be played solo (because playing with others happens less often than I thought it would).

It doesn't usually bother me that it might take a long time (sometimes years) before I play a specific game. I find the thought of *not* having any unplayed ones more disturbing. Kind of like a library in which I've read all the books and there is nothing new to discover. I also like punching and sorting components, looking at the box art, reading the rules etc., so I do get some enjoyment from them even when I haven't played them.

Do I feel guilty for owning them? No, I think it's a better use of my money than spending it on cigarettes, clubbing, cosmetics, expensive clothes or a number of other things I don't care for.
About the only reason why I sometimes wish I played more of them is that finding out I don't like them would make it easier to sell/trade them, which is going to be necessary sooner or later, since I'm running out of space.

Yes, I sometimes wonder if I'm going to live long enough to play them all, but since not owning them most likely won't prolong my life, that's not something that worries me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
18 games unplayed.

1 of those is being played tonight.

We play a few unplayed games each week.

At least two of the games need 4 players and my family has only three players.

Unless I grab some new games I should be down to 0 unplayed in a month or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Carnelaine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhere in the vicinity of 70-80... not counting expansions... and I only started gaming around 1.5 years ago... so much shame blush

My oldest unplayed games (that I'm not planning to sell) are:
Bruxelles 1893
Archon: Glory & Machination
Keyflower
Tournay
De Vulgari Eloquentia
Imperial Settlers -- repurchased this recently, actually, but I owned it for a lot longer and gifted it away without playing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Revolution. I've had this one forever. Won it at a con. It requires 5 people. That doesn't happen that often, and when it does, we sometimes have a specific game in mind to play. IT's also small, so tends to get obscured on the shelf.

Fury of Dracula. Been on my wish list and I grabbed it started going oos everywhere. My most consistent gaming partners doesn't like vampires. Waiting for when she's not around to break it out.

Pandemic Legacy. Picked this up when I grabbed Fury. Waiting til I've got a steady and committed complement of 4. I expect that will be towards the beginning of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say about 16 games currently unplayed out of about 270 games/expansions I would mark my plays under. Most expansions I do not mark plays under with a few exceptions.
Now I do own several games where I have played another person's copy but my copy is still in shrink. Also a game like battleship does not shown any plays but I only started logging plays 11 years ago and my copy has been played just not in the last 11 years.
I plan on playing 3 of my 16 unplanned titles within the next month. Hero of Weehawken and Dawn of the Zeds 3rd edition I got to play solo and plan on getting those to the table. Also me and my daughter might tackle Battlelore 2nd edition which has not been played. I think Battlelore and Summoner Wars master set might be the only games that I have had for more than 2 years and not have played yet. Most of my other unplayed games I have only had for about a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I just plead the fifth? (Says the woman who just bought 2 more games on Amazon.)

In actuality, it's probably in the neighborhood of 50+, not counting unplayed expansions. Which is a number I don't even want to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hehe, we all have our excuses right? I also have an unplayed copy of Shadows of Brimstone with the Trederra expansion - my excuse is that we need to play through at least the Kindred Fire co-op campaign of Descent first, since we got that game first.

I currently have 13 unplayed games (not including expansions). Now that I think of it, that's 13/50 and completely unacceptable. Maybe my husband is right, I do need an intervention!

My biggest excuse when getting games, "I got them at a garage sale/craigslist/thrift store and they were REALLY good deals! We can always resell them later..."

Then again, I do have a full time job and school just started up, and my husband is my main gaming partner and not into board games as much as I am. I'm sure these will all get played eventually, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Thanks for opening my eyes to this, my husband will be happy you've convinced me I don't need to buy any more games right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kelso
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just two, I think. Coup and Secret Hitler. I've had both less than a month, and both require more than just my spouse and I to play, so I'm not too concerned about those. I don't like having unplayed games in my collection, so I've worked hard to be strict with my wishlist and purchasing. more playing, less buying is what I prefer. But, there's a balance, because I don't like having overplayed games, either!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
We entered a challenge to get our unplayed games count to 0. Its the Magic Number 0 challenge and here is my entry: Item for Geeklist "2016 Challenge: Get your Magic Number to Zero!!!" . Right now, we're at 21 unplayed games. This challenge doesn't include expansions. If it did, our count would be higher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have four unplayed games left. Two are two-player only, and will get played in a few months when I'm down to two people for board games.Fresco I just got in a trade a day or two ago. And then there's Ascending Empires, which will hopefully get played very soon now that I don't have a broken foot.

This year's goal was to work through the unplayed pile, and I'm getting very close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of them cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see nothing wrong with being OCD about your hobby. It's your hobby and you should enjoy it in whatever brings you pleasure. My friends collect baseball cards. They're all unplayed whistle

For me it's 12 and i just bought 5 more. I had a few holes in my collection that i try to fill as I discover my and my children's interests. I plan on not buying any for a while but I like having options and I'll play them eventually even if it's not for a couple of years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moon Flower
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people have a lot of unplayed games because they don't want to pay for shipping for each one, which would probably end up being another $50-100 instead of free. Makes sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sverbeure wrote:
So I decided to join the 10x10 challenge this year. So far, it looks like I'm going to fail, because I wasn't careful enough in my selection of 10 games
Do you know you can do the "Normal Challenge", where you can swap games in and out during the year?
That's the one I'm currently doing and which I have nearly finished for this year -- and my list doesn't contain many of the original ten games anymore. I guess this is bad in one sense, since I still want to play many of THOSE games more in particular (often I don't even know why those don't get to the table much; it's not that I don't like them), but I have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanasai Glissando
msg tools
My collection is a lot smaller than some, only 36 (not counting expansions separately) with 3 more on order. Of the games already in hand, there's only 2 never played, and one that I just haven't played this copy yet. The 2 unplayed were both gifts, and one especially is very random and unlike us. We've loaned it out to be played, but never played it ourselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
For me I do not buy a game if I do not intend on playing it with in the next week or 2. The only exception to this rule is party games, for example I purchased Sushi Go Party, have not played it with more than 2 people so I do not consider it played yet until it is around 4 or more.

But again I do not purchase them unless I plan on playing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
We have 4 or 6 depending on how you count it (not include expansions):

In the Name of Odin - arrived relatively recently from KS

12 Realms - gift for donating to an Extra Life campaign (okay, actually I won it in an auction, but I was mostly just donating to the campaign and have been interested in trying the game. But somehow that makes it more okay that I haven't played it yet.)

Cypher - won in GenCan't raffle last year. Since it wasn't something I picked out, I don't feel guilty.

Zany Penguins - Lena sent us the game and said we can just enjoy it for the cute artwork, so it's not stressing me.

Sorta counts - we've played the PnP, not the final game, so these don't make me feel as guilty, but I do want to play them at some point:
Tiny Epic Kingdoms - We've been putting this one off, because the last game ended in an argument.

The King's Armory - unplayed because we need to put together the minis. There's not a lot, but we've never done minis before, and it feels intimidating.

----
I think I start getting a bit stressed out by unplayed games when my count of "real" games goes above 2 for any length of time. But that's calmed down a bit since I read someone's comment that they are his savings for retirement when he won't be able to afford new games all the time.

Now if only I could stop feeling guilty for all my games that I've only played once ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only two, Struggle for the Galactic Empire and Phantom Leader. Both were gifts from a kind BGGer who was thinning his collection, and I intend to play both of them someday soon. I really try not to buy more games than I can play, due to budget concerns and lack of space.

Technically, I also have Mice and Mystics: Heart of Glorm, but that's just been waiting until we finished our Sorrow and Remembrance campaign, which we did a couple of weeks ago, so the plan is to bust out Heart of Glorm this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Ooooooooo

Alaska
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I plead the fifth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dosky A
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
I guess I'll be the odd one out, looking at the other replies so far. Not counting expansions, or children's games that I primarily acquired as a vocabulary learning/teaching tool, my number sits at about 300.
Yes, 300 unplayed games. And I'm fine with it.

A lot of them were thrift store, flea market and ebay purchases for € 1-5. I find it difficult to resist a great deal. Some of them are games that are hard to find where I live, so I took the opportunity to get a copy while I could. Many of them are small card games, but there are many larger ones, too. A significant number are multiplayer games that I bought before deciding to focus mainly on games that can be played solo (because playing with others happens less often than I thought it would).

It doesn't usually bother me that it might take a long time (sometimes years) before I play a specific game. I find the thought of *not* having any unplayed ones more disturbing. Kind of like a library in which I've read all the books and there is nothing new to discover. I also like punching and sorting components, looking at the box art, reading the rules etc., so I do get some enjoyment from them even when I haven't played them.

Do I feel guilty for owning them? No, I think it's a better use of my money than spending it on cigarettes, clubbing, cosmetics, expensive clothes or a number of other things I don't care for.
About the only reason why I sometimes wish I played more of them is that finding out I don't like them would make it easier to sell/trade them, which is going to be necessary sooner or later, since I'm running out of space.

Yes, I sometimes wonder if I'm going to live long enough to play them all, but since not owning them most likely won't prolong my life, that's not something that worries me.

Kathrin - I love your attitude about this. I also think of my game collection as a library. I don't understand the negative attitude towards people with large game libraries because as you point out everyone tends to have their vices i.e make up, clothing, food etc. (well almost everyone, my husband has an aversion to spending money, I think his vice is hoarding money but that's ok with me because I spend enough for both of us).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.