Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I have a few questions around using Masteries in combat. I'll be using the Blood Singer & Battle Strategist as my example, with the avatars forming a band.

My confusion stems around around the fact that the Blood Singer's secondary Mastery ability (seemed) underpowered considering it requires a colored shard, causes a wound to the target avatar and both bonuses are a 1d* roll which might have no effect. Meanwhile simply contributing a colorless shard to the CR is a guarenteed +1 and requires no wound.

After thinking about this for a moment, I see 'For 1 turn' is perhaps the important part, meaning the Blood Singer could invoke the secondary Mastery on the Battle Stratgist during the first round of combat, and the Battle Strategist would then benefit for multiple rounds of combat.

So a few questions:
- I believe the Blood Singer can invoke the secondary mastery *before* combat, or during combat, but NOT during pre-combat ?
- If the Blood Singer has given the Battle Strategist this bonus, he only benefits if he is the creature's target for that round? (which can be forced with attract aggression)
- If the Blood Singer has given the Battle Strategist this bonus, I assume the decision to take a wound is made before the CR is rolled, but is it made before of after the target is determined ?
- Since the Blood Singer's primary mastery doesn't 'invoke a shard' can it be used after both target and CR have been determined ?
- Are the wounds delivered by the secondary mastery also 'can not be prevented'?

Thanks much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Good questions! Here are the answers...

cafin8d wrote:
I believe the Blood Singer can invoke the secondary mastery *before* combat, or during combat, but NOT during pre-combat?

Any Mastery primary and secondary ability may be activated at any time, including pre-combat. Any effects that last for the turn persist until the start of the Shadows' Turn. This means that if the ability gives the target avatar an activated ability, such as Blood Singer does, the target avatar may activate it during each and every phase of combat.

cafin8d wrote:
If the Blood Singer has given the Battle Strategist this bonus, he only benefits if he is the creature's target for that round? (which can be forced with attract aggression)

That is correct. The ability only affects the target avatar.

cafin8d wrote:
If the Blood Singer has given the Battle Strategist this bonus, I assume the decision to take a wound is made before the CR is rolled, but is it made before of after the target is determined?

It only needs to be made before dice are rolled for combat, so that may be before or after the creature chooses its target or the avatar draws the creature's aggro with a shard.

cafin8d wrote:
Since the Blood Singer's primary mastery doesn't 'invoke a shard' can it be used after both target and CR have been determined?

As stated, the sacrifice of life is per attack. I conceived that the invocation was part of the attack (after all, for it to have an effect on the CR outcome, the effect would have to be active prior to making the CR) and therefore the shard would have to be invoked before the target avatar makes its CR. So, that would be after the avatar is targeted by the creature but before the avatar makes its CR. Did you imagine something different?

cafin8d wrote:
Are the wounds delivered by the secondary mastery also 'can not be prevented'?

No. The cannot be prevented is only part of the primary Mastery ability.

I hope these answers help. If you would like to discuss these questions further or explore nuance, please feel free!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcfelli wrote:
cafin8d wrote:
Since the Blood Singer's primary mastery doesn't 'invoke a shard' can it be used after both target and CR have been determined?

As stated, the sacrifice of life is per attack. I conceived that the invocation was part of the attack (after all, for it to have an effect on the CR outcome, the effect would have to be active prior to making the CR) and therefore the shard would have to be invoked before the target avatar makes its CR. So, that would be after the avatar is targeted by the creature but before the avatar makes its CR. Did you imagine something different?

Thanks Jim. For this question, I had switched to discussing the Primary mastery. But now that I'm re-reading the wording of the primary mastery, I realize my own question makes less sense. I was reading it as Blood Singer delivering +Xd* wounds during a combat phase, but I think now its just delivering Xd* wounds period. Not necessarily part of a combat phase and thus not reliant on being the targeted avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Felli
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! And yes: you are correct in your interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.