Philippe Castonguay
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,

I have played quite a bit of Ashes and recently got the new expansions (the original expansions seem to only now be coming back in stock) as well as a few of the orphaned Phoenixborn (Orrick, Lulu, etc.)

I'm still using pre-constructed decks because while I have played a few games, I have yet to play consistently with the same people.

Does someone know where the pre-constructed decks are for the orphaned Phoenixborn, and what the First Five are for the expansions?

I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

-Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lulu deck (no first 5 unfortunately) http://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/710

Rin's First Five:
- Summon Frost Back Bear
- Summon Ice Golem
- Frost Bite
- Frost Fang
- Ice Trap

Brennen's First Five:
- Choke
- Chant of the Dead
- Summon Dread Wraith
- Fire Archer
- Blackcloud Ninjas

(source https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1574948/first-five)

LEO SUGGESTED FIRST FIVE
- SUMMON NIGHTSHADE SWALLOW
- SUMMON ORCHID DOVE
- MEMORY THEFT
- ANGUISH
- REMORSE

VICTORIA SUGGESTED FIRST FIVE
- SECRET DOOR
- SUMMON SHADOW HOUND
- SUMMON SHADOW SPIRIT
- TO SHADOWS
- ILLUSIONARY CYCLE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Castonguay
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Awesome, thanks. I appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:

LEO SUGGESTED FIRST FIVE
- SUMMON NIGHTSHADE SWALLOW
- SUMMON ORCHID DOVE
- MEMORY THEFT
- ANGUISH
- REMORSE

VICTORIA SUGGESTED FIRST FIVE
- SECRET DOOR
- SUMMON SHADOW HOUND
- SUMMON SHADOW SPIRIT
- TO SHADOWS
- ILLUSIONARY CYCLE

What'a the source for these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Fritz
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pcaston2 wrote:
Does someone know where the pre-constructed decks are for the orphaned Phoenixborn.

Orrick, Lulu, and Dimona are stand-alone Phoenixborn with no pre-constructed decks. I believe they are intentionally designed to have no specific die requirements to be flexibly used as a basis for any number of constructed decks. (This flexibility is something Bob Klotz mentioned in one of the more recent Ashtray Podcast episodes.)

From comments made on Facebook after the Rin and Brennan release, my understanding is that recommended first fives for the core set were there primarily to get people started.

back on Facebook, Isaac wrote:

So we have been getting a lot of request asking about what the recommended First Five should be for Rin & Brennen. We didn't put it on the box because we figured people would be familiar enough with the game if they where purchasing the new sets. But since people are asking I might as well post it here and get some of your feedback what you guys think some good alternates would be.

Anyway, the first five chosen typically needs to shift based on who you're facing, so they truly are more of a guideline than a hard rule.

Different people have proposed first fives for the new decks, but Plaid Hat hasn't come out with any official recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Castonguay
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Awesome, thanks.

I play with a variety of people so while I might be comfortable with selecting a First Five, someone less experienced might want to use a First Five, or at least know what it is as a basis. I suppose we might make it a habit of going through the cards prior to starting a game and assembling a collection of candidates, which then are used to select a First Five. I find it's easy to start with a First Five but often you don't grasp the theme of your deck until you get into the meat of it, by that time it's too late!

I'm sure all of this will be irrelevant as me and my friends get more playthroughs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Fritz
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a nice little box that I transplanted the game into for carting back and forth from work. The manual didn't fit, so if I need it, I pull it up on my phone. (What does that have to do with the topic at hand? Bear with me...)

As a result, I don't have a copy of the first fives with me when we play, but in general, the first few times I play with someone, I just propose a first five for them to use (based on what will work best against the deck I'm playing.) After a few plays, they tend to just grab their own first five based on the cards they have found they like or have worked well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rodriguez
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
For Victoria, does she just use the Illusion dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
banefury wrote:
For Victoria, does she just use the Illusion dice?

Yep, all the expansions use 10x of a single type of dice. Victoria is Illusion, Leo is Charm, Brennen Ceremonial, and Rin Natural.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.