Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered the hero book style adventure design for solo HQ, the mansion of madness app for the 2nd edition game which looks very similar to the hero books. I thought I could reuse HQ to make a MoM style game. At least HQ will be useful again, and I'll save 140$

SO I thought it could be possible to do some sort of Medieval Horror (Ravenloft style) dungeon crawler with an adventure book for exploration and AI for the monsters (inspiration from invisible inc.). I might redesign the heroes, but there might be less omnipotent and there could be less monsters on the board. You will fight them less head to head, and could try to avoid them or barricade doors.

The furtinure will be the searchable locations like in MoM which could also be used as barricade. You will be able to lose sanity like MoM. Searching rooms and furniture will increase your threat level increasing the chance of wandering monsters. Else the game could feel more liek a resource management game with a lot of one time use items.

I'll try to reuse most of the components except maybe character's and equipment. Cusmon miniatures could be used, else I could make icons tokens with icons supplied with the editor as game pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
1066, Tears to Many Mothers, coming to Kickstarter!
badge
1066, Tears to Many Mothers, coming to Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good!
I put these solo/coop rules together over twenty years ago but if there's anything you can pilfer from in there, feel free:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/17188/heroquest-solo-coop-...

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll check it out.

Latest news, I want to make a solo quest playing only the wizard. It's a experiementation using a weak character with limited resources that could be reusable for other game design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter and I played Hero Quest last night, after playing MoM 2nd edition twice earlier in the day by myself. I was the game master for the three hero characters she played and I was thinking that the flow of the game was very similar to Mansions of Madness and Castle Ravenloft in some respects. But, somehow, it lacked a lot of the flavor as MoM. I would certainly be interested to see what you come up with. As for Hero Quest and other games that fall into the same line, I wish designers would have added more theme and flavor to the narrative texts during the game. Likewise, I wish they had made text for every room, not just those that had special events and/or treasures. I think this would have pushed Hero Quest closer to the fine line between board game and RPG, without becoming an RPG.

Going forward, you could consider having a limited set of skills that each hero has that they must make checks against during the course of the game when interacting with dungeon features such as traps, secret doors or even NPCs. These could even be unique for each hero and chosen at the beginning of the quest, much like those in a D20 system. There is also an ingenious LUCK mechanic that is used in the old Fighting Fantasy books like "Warlock of Firetop Mountain" which could be used to mitigate dice rolls. The beauty of the mechanic is, a. it is limited., and b. it becomes more difficult to succeed in a luck roll the more it is used. This forces the adventurer to choose when it is wise to use a luck roll and to manage their luck throughout the course of the quest, otherwise their luck will run out.

These at just some thoughts that I had while reading your post. For what it is worth, I would entertain playing a Hero Quest game that operates more along the line of Mansions of Madness. As a side note, you mentioned Ravenloft; there is a lot of thematic text that could harvested and modified from the old Ravenloft RPG modules that could be used to make your efforts somewhat easier. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not have the time to work on the idea (I am too busy), I did a adventure book template with the hero quest map editor to simulate the navigation thought the rooms and placement of monsters. But I did not write the room investigation text.

Hero quest furniture is nice, but it takes a lot of space and there fore, you cannot really fill in a room like it should be. To be able to interact with a room like if it was real furniture, you would need tile like mansion of madness with a lot of areas to investigate (like you said) could be the solution.

Which reminds me of skyrim and Sherlock Holmes video game where you can investigate many piece of furniture. That could make it more suitable for a video game.

Still, sometimes it ends up as looking in every drawer which in the ends just becomes work. So the whole idea could be abstracted by a search action that gives you everything in the room.

But you could allow some sort of perception rolls to restrain what you get because there was some search-able locations you could not find. Else you need to spend additional search actions. As an app, you don't know if you failed your roll. So there could be actually nothing in the room, or you could have simply failed miserably your roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.